February 27th, 2008

Clinton: Voters 'rallying to my candidacy'

Clinton says she remains optimistic.
Clinton says she remains optimistic.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) - After a debate performance that did little to alter the dynamic of the Democratic primary race, Hillary Clinton on Wednesday presented a stay-the-course optimism about her campaign as it heads into the final stretch before crucial primaries in Ohio and Texas.

Hillary Clinton told a gaggle of reporters on board her airplane during a flight from Cleveland to Columbus that at this late stage of the primary race, "people are really rallying to my candidacy."

Clinton said she was "really pleased" with her debate performance in Cleveland, arguing that she was able to  present "some real contrasts" against Barack Obama, especially on the issues of health care and the economy.

"What I feel is happening is that people are turning towards the big questions that we should have to answer in this campaign," she said. "Give me the best Commander in Chief. Who do you want in the White House answering the phone at three a.m.? Who is the best steward of the economy?"

Clinton said that along with getting a second look from voters, her campaign continues to raise $1 million a day over the internet, a factoid she has been touting since Super Tuesday.

Despite that cheery forecast, her campaign sent out a fundraising e-mail Wednesday from Bill Clinton that accused Obama of trying to drown out his primary opponent with a barrage of TV ads.

"So let's show the Obama campaign that they can't win this race just by throwing more money at it," the email said, seeking to raise $1.9 million in the next 24 hours.

Clinton is hosting an "Economic Solutions Summit" in Zanesville on Wednesday, followed by two rallies in the towns of St. Clairsville and Belpre. She heads to Texas late Thursday for the remainder of the week, hitting the major media markets of Houston, San Antonio and Dallas/Fort Worth.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. Free Thinker

I guess 'rallying' for her is the same as 'abandoning'

February 27, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  2. Pieter

Go Hillary!!!!

It is clear Hillary has no credit with the media. Always the first question, obama has all the time in the world to think of something else. Great going there! No one noticed????

Hillary has a great team and even after texas, win or lose, it will not be over!!!

February 27, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  3. don

I must have been watching a different debate because I thought Obama won hands down! Hillary looked like a whinebag at one point and like she was sucking on lemons the next minute. Obama was cool as a cucumber.

February 27, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  4. Erin

I made a donation last night...
    To the Obama campaign.
    Hillary, thank you for the nightmare performance from last night. I saw that he has had over 1 million donors. Keep it up – maybe he will get to 2 million. Go Hillary – go home.

Obama 08

February 27, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  5. Chanda -Cincinnati

Okay CNN so you guys feel bad about the so called media slant and now you are only posting comments from Hillary supporters. Her fiscal responsibilty sucks...look at how she has run her campaign into the ground. I guess all of you donating to her campaign just gave them more money to buy DONUTS with. Your hard earned money well spent. OBAMA 08 . YES WE CAN! AND WE WILL!

February 27, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  6. Hoakhuu

i hope you will be win TX and OH. Hillary you are my President 08

February 27, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  7. Corinna Seelmann

Hillary, get real. The last elections proofed that the voters are NOT rallying behind you. Some States you lost with big margins. Voters are seeking a chance in Washington, and you ain't going to be one.

February 27, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  8. Sue, Michigan

I too, have donated online. I believe that Hillary is the only person to take on McCain and win. Obama is already sounding like a Republican-he said he would bomb Pakistan and return to Iraq. Some diplomacy! Now he's in a shouting match with McCain, which will only help our girl!
    Stay strong, Hill. We love you.
    By the way, if the idiotic DNC had counted MI and FL, she'd be ahead.
    Come on, Ohioans and Texans!

February 27, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  9. Terry For Texas

Now does that feel good that all you Hillary supporters have vented? As an Obama supporter that is the least I owe you. O

Obama 08

February 27, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  10. Justin, Grand Junction, CO

Ha.... go ahead and make donations for pizza, donuts, "bring-out-the-vote" sandwich platters and rooms and the Bellagio!! I would be irate if I donated to this campaign and saw this ridiculous spending!

February 27, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  11. david

Go HILLARY! In 5 hours you already raised over $800,000! only $1.1 million left! we're rallying around you!

February 27, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  12. David, Santa Maria, CA

Clinton is living in a dream world. She is so eager and deparate for power she will refuse to throw in the towel. I dont know who these people are who are "rallying" to her. Everyone I know thinks she is a joke and cant wait to say good riddance to the Bush/Clinton families.

February 27, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  13. R

why make it seems like it was an ugly attack? Bill was explaining that ads matters and said:
    "The ads we put on the air matter. The number of phone calls we make matters. The rides we give to the polls matter. And most important of all, what you do right now matters.

We have the best candidate with the best ideas - and she's a fighter. She's knows that you are standing with her every step of the way.

So let's show the Obama campaign that they can't win this race just by throwing more money at it.

Let's match that $1.9 million ad buy of his and make sure this is a race of ideas, because that's a race that we know Hillary will win."

February 27, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  14. Dilip Mooparakath - Canada

Hillary!!!! you will do a favour by becoming President, I am sure you will WIN.
    I see already taking oath, Show Mccain that its time for him.

February 27, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  15. suzy

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!

LET'S GO PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON TEXAS OHIO RHODE ISLAND VERMONT!!!!!

LET'S MOVE IT!!!
    THIS IS NOT OVER!!!!
    AS LONG AS HILLARY IS GOING, WE ARE BEHIND YOU 100%!!!!!

February 27, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  16. Louise

Down but not out Hillary...Keep going and you will prevail. The cream always rises to the top! C'mon Hillary!!!

February 27, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  17. Jeanine G

the "real contrast" I saw was that Hillary was boring me to tears...after awhile her voice becomes an indistinct buzzing sound in the back of my head and I find myself flipping through magazines. When Obama speaks I look up, the sound clears, and I become focused again.

Hillary....if you can't find a way to PROJECT your message, you won't be able to DIRECT your plans.

February 27, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  18. think

YES WE ARE RALLYING FOR HILLARY!!

look, we've scared all obama folks away....

February 27, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  19. Anyvic

I am from Canada AND I am grateful to see that Americans are now seeing the light. Hillary is the right choice. Make a choice that you will not live to regrate in November... Hillary 08

February 27, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  20. Citizen

No, actually the voters are actually just being nice to you, because you clearly have mental health issues.

February 27, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  21. Ted K

Hilary remains optimistic.......just as Bill remained optimistic with Monica........

February 27, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  22. Rick

you have a better chance of seeing the atlantic ocean part before i will vote or donate. for someone who hasnt been honest about her campaign

February 27, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  23. Lou Dobbs - A Good Man!

Tune into Lou Dobbs. He is the glue that holds CNN together. Thank you very much for standing up for the intelligent.

February 27, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  24. ObamaSupporters

How disappointed where you Hillary supporters when the last 11 results came in and it was Obama. Well I'm sorry to say that you're in for some more disappointments.

Obama '08

February 27, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  25. scottdale pa.

I think its a slap in the americans fases to have a person run for president, with the name barack H. obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU HILLARY. KEEP GOING.

February 27, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |