February 27th, 2008

Poll: McCain's hard to beat

ALT TEXT

A new poll out Wednesday suggests McCain will be difficult to beat in November. (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, will be a difficult candidate for the eventual Democratic nominee to beat in a general election match up this fall.

According to a just released Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll, McCain would be in tight races with either of the remaining Democratic presidential candidates.

McCain is statistically tied with Sen. Barack Obama, 44 percent to 42 percent, and ahead of Sen. Hillary Clinton by 6 points, 46 percent to 40 percent. The poll's margin of error was plus-or-minus 3 percentage points.

The poll also showed McCain with a 61 percent approval rating, a number higher than both Clinton's and Obama's in past polls. (A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll earlier this month measured Clinton's approval rating at 52 percent and Obama's at 58 percent.)

The Arizona senator holds a clear advantage on dealing with the war in Iraq, according to the poll, and holds a 9 point advantage on economic issues over Obama, despite having acknowledged that area is not his expertise. Though the poll finds voters favor Clinton by 10 points over McCain to handle the economy.

The same poll also showed Obama with a 6 point edge over Clinton nationally - a finding that's consistent with several other polls out earlier this week that indicate that the senator from Illinois is the frontrunner in the Democratic race.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Indep GA

All REAL democrats do not fall for it. All these posts by -if is not Hillary it goion to be McCain- democrats are fakes! 90 percent of Dems will vote Dem no matter who the nom goes to. The republicans are extremely cleaver. They pose as dems on all the blogs with the only goal of driving a deep wedge between dems. Divide and conquer.

Hillary has more experience. Obama will get people to the polls. They both are nearly the same in agenda and direction for the country. For those real dems who would choose McCain over Obama due to experience I would say Dick Chaney had a lot of expericence along with Tom Delay, Rumsfeld, .....would that experience be better than a little experience?

February 27, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  2. Marie from SC

It doesn't matter what the polls show, if Obama wins the Dem nomination I will be voting for McCain. We have too much at stake to let a candidate with his training wheels still on take over the White House.

February 27, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  3. Shane, NY

McCain's entire campaign is run by Lobbyist. Democrats that say they won't vote for Obama if he is the nominee are silly. The lobbyist are in McCains pockets. Yes I know he is war hero but so are thousands of Americans coming back from Iraq. If we elect McCain we are getting the same old Washington politics. If you want change, vote for Obama

February 27, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  4. clinton muehlenbrock

All of you that say you will vote for a republican if barak gets the nomination just remember two things!!! He supports more of my fellow veterens dying in a useless prolonged war. To all of you who say blah blah blah i'll vote republican, that is fine do it. Remember this, while you vote republican the people dying in this war are real people. This is not a movie!!! These people losing their jobs and housing cause the economy has gone down hill due to over spending EX. Iraq war. Remember this is not a movie. Study whats being presented and make an informed choice instead of judging this as a fashion show. I feel embarrased for you.

February 27, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. Ann

Hilary has done NOTHING to divide the party. Obama supporters and his wife are a turn off.

February 27, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  6. Ethan Russo

I seriously doubt the veracity of this poll. Did they query cell phone users? Most young people do not bother with landlines. Given the huge landslide of Democratic voters in primaries and caucuses compared to a much lower Republican turnout, such results do not ring true

February 27, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  7. Jonatan (Ohio)

Lets McCain and Hukabee have at list onother debate and see who will do the best.

February 27, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  8. Kevin

Then how come twice as many democrats have voted in the primary than republicans. Senator Obama and Clinton both have significatly more votes than grandpappy Mc Cain. He is going to have a hard time getting elected after being a flip flopper with the right, and being a lap dog for the failed Bush agenda. Finally his message of "Less jobs and More war" isn't a winner. either. yesterday the website said that Obama was the winner. What will it say tommorow.

February 27, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  9. Ryan

I find it very hard to believe that McCain will be hard to beat in the general election. Polls haven't proven to reveal anything in this year's presidential campaign.

February 27, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  10. Alesia

McCain will be Xerox of the Bush Administration. Gas will still be high, the economy will still be bad (hello recession 2008!) and my son will still be at WAR!!!! My vote is for Mr. Obama!!!

February 27, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  11. Bill

President McCain,wow that sure has a nice ring to it.

February 27, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  12. Evan Esteves

Wow...looking at some of these comments by my "supposed" fellow democrats is quite disturbing....They seem so willing to vote against their own beliefs just to spite the other democratic candidate...Let me ask one of you Hillary supporters who claim to be "democrats" but are openly talking about voting for a 3rd Bush Term....Which of Senator Clinton's proposals will Senator McCain push forth as President? Exactly!

How could you call yourself democrats and more important Hillary Clinton supporters if you are so willing to see HER issues not get solved in a McCain presidency?

1) No Universal Health Care
    2) Continuation of the War in Iraq

I guess you all are ok with that???

February 27, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  13. What a sad day for America...

As I said before, I DON'T TRUST OBAMA - never have, never will.
    I believe that some day the truth will come out about him...
    At this point in my 50+ years, my party affilation does not matter. What matters is that I love my country – always have and always will, and for Mrs. Obama to publicly say for the first time in her adult life, she is a proud American, is truly amazing. She has been blessed so much more than so many of us, and for her to make such a comment makes me sick. I have three sons and I tell them everyday to be thankful for the blessings they have because there are so many less fortunate people throughout the world. I just can't imagine having her as a First Lady - she has lost my respect...
    Also, has Obama ever visited Afghanistan or Iraq - or I guess he wouldn't want to show his support of our troops because he was against the war in the first place??!! I believe he did travel to Africa though, right??!!

February 27, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  14. Jesse

This is ridiculous... Yesterday (and I literally mean yesterday, as in Tuesday) all the polls showed Obama with a six-point lead over McCain in a theoretical match-up... Now polls (bloomberg) show McCain leading Obama by two points?!??!?!?!!!!!
    I'm a firm believer that many American votes are swayed by whose leading in the polls, or who they believe everyone else is voting for... It's interesting that this switch happened so slowly, literally overnight... suspiciously quickly...

February 27, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  15. Craig

Could it be that people are awakening to hard realities instead of hype and charisma? I hope so. McCain isn't the person I want to vote for but of the three so called front runners he is probably the best overall selection. Heaven help the USA.

February 27, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  16. Ranger

ARE YOU KIDING ME!!

The only reason McCain is ...in the running ....is ...because the Repubs don't have any body..!!
    LETS Face it ...times are tough..!. ..The next President has mess to clean up!! ...>Starting with BUSH's war crimes!!

Disgusted US ARMY Vet!!!

February 27, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  17. hazwalnut

February 27th, 2008 11:36 am ET (Rock)

That is hard to believe especially with the disparity between Democrat and Republican primary voter turnout.
    --------------------------------–

When are democrats going to realize that Republicans have crossed over in many primaries and especially caucuses to vote for Senator Obama. It's not because they have all of sudden become Democrats or enchanted with Obama....they want him to be the Democratic nominee. They know they'll be able to easily defeat him. Why do you think the Democratic turnout has been higher...all those college kids? True...there are some who voted in places where there was no residency requirement....Wisconsin for instance....but they have made up a small amount of increase. Republicans are not even secretive about what they have and are doing.

February 27, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  18. K Carr

You've got to be kidding...McCain will lose.

February 27, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  19. Go Get Um!

Is the Obama supporters requesting the Clinton/Obama polls be questioned. Obama (AKA "Speeches") does not stand a chance. Democrats and Republicans will unite and form the "Change" Obama is looking for - It's too bad he will not be part of it.

February 27, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  20. Emily Coletta

"If Hillary doesn't win the nomination, I'll vote McCain!"

Suuuure you will.

February 27, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  21. jack loung

I will vote for Hillary, and think she will be dominate and sucess as an American President.

February 27, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  22. Terry

to many people pretending hate obama than clinton...look like billary machine at working now.we dont want dinasties whos hungry power and money to run forever

February 27, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  23. Thomas Johnson from Minnesota

Yeah how does it feel Democrats to get one sided reporting. This is what Republicans get out here every single day. False, sensationalistic stories slanted towards the left. Welcome to our world!

February 27, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  24. Amy Jacobson

The poll reflects what I hear from most of my friends say (both Republicans and moderate Democrats). Why would anyone vote for someone who promises to start pulling the troops out in 90 days while every expert on the matter (inlcuding the generals who are the ones we need to listen to, anyway) tell you that this can not be done.

Unfortunately, I like some of Obama's ideas but the fact that he is flat out lying about his plans for pulling the troops out and using it as a platform, makes me not trust him on the other issues. At least Hillary is using common sense when she deals with this and other issues. I really hate to subscribe to her sarcastic tone but things will not improve just because Obama says they will.

February 27, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |