February 27th, 2008

Poll: McCain's hard to beat

ALT TEXT

A new poll out Wednesday suggests McCain will be difficult to beat in November. (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, will be a difficult candidate for the eventual Democratic nominee to beat in a general election match up this fall.

According to a just released Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll, McCain would be in tight races with either of the remaining Democratic presidential candidates.

McCain is statistically tied with Sen. Barack Obama, 44 percent to 42 percent, and ahead of Sen. Hillary Clinton by 6 points, 46 percent to 40 percent. The poll's margin of error was plus-or-minus 3 percentage points.

The poll also showed McCain with a 61 percent approval rating, a number higher than both Clinton's and Obama's in past polls. (A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll earlier this month measured Clinton's approval rating at 52 percent and Obama's at 58 percent.)

The Arizona senator holds a clear advantage on dealing with the war in Iraq, according to the poll, and holds a 9 point advantage on economic issues over Obama, despite having acknowledged that area is not his expertise. Though the poll finds voters favor Clinton by 10 points over McCain to handle the economy.

The same poll also showed Obama with a 6 point edge over Clinton nationally - a finding that's consistent with several other polls out earlier this week that indicate that the senator from Illinois is the frontrunner in the Democratic race.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Bill in Columbia

Sorry leftists, McCain will be our next president. You'll have to wait till the 2012 election to ruin the country that gave you your freedom. Obama has already surrender Florida to McCain with his remarks about Cuba.

February 27, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  2. Mike, Atlanta GA

If Obama is the Democratic nominee, then McCain has my vote!!!!

I do not like, nor trust Obama

February 27, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  3. Kathryn Irby

Hey Ed, ya' wanna bet?

Kathryn Irby
    Metairie, LA

February 27, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  4. Anonymous

For me very simple:

1) Obama vs. McCain - I vote for Obama

2) Clinton vs. McCain - I vote for McCain

Please, NO MORE CLINTONS.

February 27, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  5. wycliffe

We will see come november. Hillary supporters seem to be quitting.

February 27, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  6. biged55

this poll is hard to believe. people who think McCain will beat Obama are delusional. No republican could win in November after 8 years of Bushs' policies and war. it will be like in1976 all over again after the watergate burglery.
    Obama is the future, and the future is now!

February 27, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  7. B from Ohio

I remember a Clinton that wasn't supposed to win against a very conservative Bush in 1992

February 27, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  8. Sig, Los Angeles CA

Hillary supporters have made it very clear that they care about themselves more than they care about the country. How on earth ANYONE who supports Hillary would make a complete right turn and vote for McCain is beyond me. It tells me that they are not true Democrats. As a Democrat, I'll vote for whoever is the party's nominee, period! It is not up for debate – but I guess true Hillary supporters are not true Democrats, or they're Repugs in disgused as Dems which means you're all full of you know what.

February 27, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  9. Vicky

I will not vote for Obama under any circumstances! A man who has NO experience, refuses to recognize the American Flag, say's one thing and does another, bought his house for 300,000 less then market value, had slum lord Rezko buy the parcell of land next door so he could buy the house, attends a church where the founder and leader say's horrible things about jews and white people, "whites are the skunks of the earth," when confronted about changing his vote he say's, "I must have pushed the wrong button," admitted in 2004 he didn't know how he would have voted for Iraq war had he been in the senate but nails Hillary every time for her vote, and thinks my soul needs to be fixed.

McCain looks great compared to Obama! I can live through 4 more years of a republican if my only other option is Obama.

Under no circumstance will I vote for Obama!!!

February 27, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  10. Mike

Just in...John Lewis endorses Barack Obama!!!!!!!!!

(reports the Atlanta Journal Constitution)

February 27, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  11. Tim G., Hillsboro, OR

For all of these so called "Democrats" that are writing that they would rather vote for McCain than Obama, I say Bull. You're not Democrats – no real democrat would EVER vote for McCain over ANY other candidate. Who in their right mind wants 4 more years of the same thing? I think these comments are plants – republicons writing in as democrats. Typical liars of their party!

February 27, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  12. Patty Atlanta GA

I AM A CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVE. An adulterer like McCain will never be president! Go bail another trophy wife out of drug charges Mr. McCain.

Go HUCKABEE!!!

February 27, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  13. kevin

Why do you, CNN, rarely post my comments...for this article it was, "GOD HELP US ALL." And that didn't get to go up...4 words. Is it because GOD is one of them?? Do I need to say something a little wittier...how about, "RON PAUL IS THE ONLY HOPE." Will you censor that too, because I named a candidate that isn't a part of your money hype?

The only censoring you should be doing, CNN...or, the poor soul who has to read this all day...is censoring comments laced with profanities. This is a small proof that we truly are no longer a free society...it's trickled down to commenting on a news website. How sad. How sad it is...

February 27, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  14. cjr

Give me a break! John McCain is George Bush! and we all know what a mess he has made. if he is elected – it is the end of this country!

February 27, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  15. Johan Bc Canada

When experience makes you underestimate opponents, makes you not"see" the overriding issues, makes you struggle in a campaign that was handed to you for which you prepared a whole year in advance, makes you choose a wrong advisory team, makes you resort to hit and miss tactics, and then makes you say that you are ready on day one to lead a nation, then I believe we are not talking about "learning experience". Poor planning, strategies and tactics . are the very attributes a commander in chief can ill afford. Please be a good neighbour and give us Obama. We will sleep easier.

February 27, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  16. myself

um is it just me or do the republicans actually think americans might want another disaster (i mean republican president) after bush???
    its btwn obama and hilary and after next tues it will be obama and himself

February 27, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  17. Anne in Los Angeles

This just says that the rest of the US voters don't believe in Senator Obama either! If Senator Obama gets the nod, McCain will for sure take the White House!

February 27, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  18. Brian Tampa, FL

Obama's popularity is a total justification for raising the voting age to 21 and requiring an IQ test. Only the young and the ignorant are persuaded by such generalized rhetoric. As you grow older and wiser you understand the devil is always in the details. Hitler and Stalin made great speeches too!

February 27, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  19. Jan

Obama = Political Suicide = Michael Dukakis

February 27, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  20. John

Considering the source of this poll I would give it next to no chance of being accurate. If McCain by some outlandish chance would end up as President this country is finished for sure and the people who vote for him will deserve it.

February 27, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  21. Stone

What a bunch of non-sense. – "If Obama gets the nomination, I'm voting for McCain..." What a bunch of disillusioned and brainless mumbo jumbo. In one sentence these people are complaining about the Bush Administration and their lies, then they turn around and say they are going to vote for a man who's flip-flopped and adopted everything this Administration has stood for. Makes me sick to my stomach.

February 27, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  22. Sky

Darth Vadik,
    I am a registered Democrat who because of people like you and your inflammatory comments have decided to vote for McCain if Obama is the candidate.

Since my constitutional rights were breached when Florida moved the primary I will make sure that my vote is counted in November. Again, since the party was not mature and wise enough to agree to disagree without being cruel and vindictive I think it is time to change my affiliation.

I left High School a long time ago.

February 27, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  23. what?

CNN stop over moderating my entries, post them once in while

February 27, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  24. TerryD

CNN will not post any pro-Hillary R. Clinton from Canada because I support Clinton, my comments are often deleted.

And yet I have read many, many comments favorable to Obama from Canada that get printed.

CNN, the world is watching your bias and manipulation of the news.

SHAME ON YOU CNN! You have lost credibility in the International viewers from Britian, Canada, China and most part of Europe that would like to deal with a President Hillary R. Clinton as oppose to Obama. SHAME ON YOU CNN. But this won't be posted so this will be between you and me.

February 27, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  25. Ed, Santa Fe NM

Bush / GOP have about ruined this country... only a moron would vote GOP in 2008

February 27, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |