February 27th, 2008

Poll: McCain's hard to beat

ALT TEXT

A new poll out Wednesday suggests McCain will be difficult to beat in November. (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, will be a difficult candidate for the eventual Democratic nominee to beat in a general election match up this fall.

According to a just released Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll, McCain would be in tight races with either of the remaining Democratic presidential candidates.

McCain is statistically tied with Sen. Barack Obama, 44 percent to 42 percent, and ahead of Sen. Hillary Clinton by 6 points, 46 percent to 40 percent. The poll's margin of error was plus-or-minus 3 percentage points.

The poll also showed McCain with a 61 percent approval rating, a number higher than both Clinton's and Obama's in past polls. (A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll earlier this month measured Clinton's approval rating at 52 percent and Obama's at 58 percent.)

The Arizona senator holds a clear advantage on dealing with the war in Iraq, according to the poll, and holds a 9 point advantage on economic issues over Obama, despite having acknowledged that area is not his expertise. Though the poll finds voters favor Clinton by 10 points over McCain to handle the economy.

The same poll also showed Obama with a 6 point edge over Clinton nationally - a finding that's consistent with several other polls out earlier this week that indicate that the senator from Illinois is the frontrunner in the Democratic race.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Tony

I am amazed by the change of tide, and happy to see people posted with their minds nor their hype. Hillary is our only hope to overcome our country econmic problem. Hope she win the primary.
    Or I will go with MCcain, just can't gamble my future with a 2-year-old rookie.

February 27, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  2. LJ

Its funny to hear all the Clinton supporters saying they will never vote for Obama when all records indicate that the two share values, voting histories and differ on only about 5% of the issues. If you are so willing to jump to McCain, I suspect you weren't really voting for Hillary on the issues after all...ditto for Obama supporters who wouldn't vote for Hillary. Both sides should be ashamed for abandoning any chance of health care, NAFTA reform or ending the war in Iraq just out of spite.

February 27, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  3. An Agnostic Democrat

Do you really think anyone with a brain believes we would elect another 4 years of Bush-lite? Any REAL democrat that votes for McCain because there poor wittle egos are bruised beacuse their unqualified – strong (?) , experienced (?) – woman candidate did not win the nomination deserves to be enlisted to go fight all his battles in the Middle East and then be sure to sign up their children to fight all the endless wars. Cowards! Oh no! That's right! Your're the real patriots! Have a soul and realize what exactly you are promoting spolied sports. If you really loved your country, you'd wake up and realize how reviled we are across the world! Idiots!

February 27, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  4. Easy Math

What is the poll result here in this forum? Hilary 90% lead ?

When CNN posts all the comments, we can see what is very different from the article itself.

Tell truth, let people talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 27, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  5. Carlos P. Bulling

This poll must be off by a bunch of points. Pretty unbelievable that so many people are dumb and uneducated enough to vote for McCain. The old geezer doesn't stand a chance.

February 27, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  6. Joe

Well McCain would be a good second choice after Obama. If Hillary would win (which she wont), for the first time I would vote for a Republican.

February 27, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  7. Jennifer, NC

If Clinton does not get the nomination for my party, I will vote McCain. I don' t think that the democratic party has even asked that question yet.

February 27, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  8. A Mom

McCain–they will eat him alive...he's too much like them...and I am not talking conservative.

I vote Huckabee the ONLY true conservative.

February 27, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  9. Tim

I'm a Republican. I have voted Republican for 20 years. But this election, I will vote for Obama. But if Hillary is the candidate, I will vote for whatever schmuck the Republicans come up with.

I WILL NOT SUPPORT ANOTHER CLINTON WHITE HOUSE.

And there are many like me. The biggest thing Obama has going for him is that he is not a Clinton.

If she's the nominee, Republicans, Independents and yes, even some Democrats, will come out of the woodwork to vote against her.

Obama is the uniter. Hillary is the divider. The best shot Democrats have at winning the White House is Obama.

February 27, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  10. slayde

I'm a Republican that will support Obama. McCain is a lifelong polticican and never held a job in the private sector. John was involved in the 1980's S@L bailout that cost billions. McCain is a warmounger and has no issue with borrowing 100 million per week from communist China to nationbuild throught the world. If you want contniued DEBT for your children and WAR WAR WAR. Vote John

February 27, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  11. stuart_zechman

My question is who will we blame for all the wrongs of the world if McCain is President, Bush or McCain? I have spent the last 8 years blaming Bush and I don't know if I can handle the change. If my main man Obama wins then I can go on blaming Bush for any problems that happen as well as shoot down any Obama detractors by calling them racists.

Please vote for Obama!

February 27, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  12. voter in akr

To all you Obama bashers.

Hillary even admits that Obama would be a better president than McCain... or are ya'll part of the "uneducated" constituency that loves her so much.

Flip flopping parties just because your candidate didn't win? Doesn't sound very well thought out.

Voting for McCain would be just like voting for Bush.

Do people really have that much problem with a non-caucasian in the white house?

February 27, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  13. Chris

Why are all the Dems saying they'll vote for McCain over Obama? Hillary/Obama are 95% the same thing (Iraq, econ), except his healthcare plan rips off less people, and he's actually electable and has a personality.

Hillary is disliked by half the country, literally - that's not going to change in four years, either. And McCain is the POLAR OPPOSITE of Clinton policy-wise. What are you people talking about?

One thing I really don't understand is that
    A: 2/3 of Americans want to end the war.
    B: McCain has "huge advantage" over Obama on the Iraq issue.

Those two cannot coincide. If you WANT OUT, then Obama is your man. If you think we SHOULD STILL be there, McCain is your pick.

February 27, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  14. Edgardo-Latino in LA

If the amateur wins the Democratic party, we will see Mc Cain in the White House, 100 yrs of Iraq war & continuous economic mess.

If HILLARY wins, we have a strong fight!!!!

February 27, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  15. Amanda

I am amazed how so many have stated that if Hillary does not get the Democratic nomination then they will vote for McCain. I also feel the same. I know many people who have said the same thing. I am a democrat, but feel that Hillary is more capable of running this country than Obama. I also feel McCain is better for this country than Obama if Hillary doesn't get the nomination. I truly believe that if Obama gets the Democratic nomination, McCain is as good as our next President. Although, that;s not as good as having Hillary, it is better than having Obama.

February 27, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  16. Greg

Keep in mind that the poll was conducted by calling 1246 registered voters at home and asking them their preference. The poll may be accurate, but the real issue, in my opinion, is turnout. Thus far in the primaries Democratic turnout has been 1.7 times higher overall than Republican turnout. Unless McCain can make up that difference come November by actually getting Republicans excited, he could be in trouble.

February 27, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  17. THE OPINIONATOR

It's amazing to me how many American want to continue paying $4 a gallon for gas, receive wages which are below their cost of living and help further destabilize the middle east; This is what you'll get if you support McCain.

Also, how can McCain's approval rating be in the 60 percentile when the Country's overall disapproval of the "war" in Iraq is somewhere in the 70 percentile, seeing as how this is his primary schtick.

Amazing...

February 27, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  18. JB Hull, IA

democrats who claim they would vote for McCain over HIllary or Obama (depending on whoever is running against their favorite in the primary) do not deserve to call themselves democrats. Obama and Hillary have been fighting a bit lately, but their actual policy proposals differ little from each other. If you really, actually believe in what your candidate of choice stands for (instead of just their "experience", "change" or gender), you will vote democratic.

February 27, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  19. Deb

I'm not a "Plant"; I'm a 55 year old democrat who has been registered and active for over 30 years.

Last night watching the debate, listening to Obama, I said to my Husband,

“Oh my god, I'm listening to a school boy recite the report he just wrote on "What would you do if you where President". He doesn't have a clue when it comes to Foreign Affairs.

For the sake of my Grandchildren I will be voting for McCain if I can't vote for Hillary.

The current condition of the world requires a Leader with experience, not an idealistic School Boy who will end up getting us all killed, in our own beds!

Wake up before it is tooooooo late!

February 27, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  20. Joe in Indiana

To all the democrats that say they will vote for McCain if he faces Obama makes me want to throw up. Do you Clinton people realize that Obama's staff is full of supporters from President Bill Clinton when he was in office? The reason they are backing Obama is because they believe in his ability to lead more than Hillary's because they were around her for 8 years! Now don't get me wrong...If Hillary gets the nomination I will vote for her, but what I will not do is vote for John McCain and put more American lives at risk in Iraq. It's time to move forward and not backwards. Support the Democratic Party whoever the nominee is!

February 27, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  21. Camille

Just what we need, and no wonder this country is the disgrace it has become....it's not enough we've got uber-right wingnuts running the Republican party, now we're going to have Democrats voting for another 4 years of Republican rule...which should be just about enough time to completely destroy what's left of the greatness of the USA.

February 27, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  22. korn

THIS IS THE BAD SIGN!!!!! AS I MENTIONED HERE EARLIER !!!!!

Both Obama and Hillary supporters are divided now. that is the reason why McCain got so much votes. only way to fix this is Obama/Clinton-Clinton/Obama Ticket!!!!

February 27, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  23. norb

Anyone remember when John McCain's campaign was almost out of money and it looked like he was going to drop out? Only reason he's the front runner is because of the weak competition he had. Had the previous Governor of Virgnina not make his verbal mistake, he would have been the nominee most certainly. The conservatives would have rallied around him. Too bad it didn't turn out that way. We now have to see Joe Lieberman around McCain all the time. Truth is, the the Democratic party has doubled the votes of the Republican's in the primaries. The Republican's have no fire. Especially, after eight years of this disaster of a president and his crew. Maybe Michael Bloomberg will switch back to being a Democrat again.

February 27, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  24. frank

i am a democrat if obama is the democratic choice i will be voting for john mccain and for me that will be the first time i vote republican. the reason i am voting that way is the expiereince. i can not vote for obama because of that reason. look at what happened to this country the last time the country voted for someone like that we got bush. how did that turnout? so if it is not hillary clinton i will vote for john mccain

February 27, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  25. Thank you CNN

At least you let people with different opinions talk here.

Good start!!!!

Do not gather 3 Obama together to criticize Hilary any more.

It really is NOT what a media should do. Especially a media like CNN,.
    my favorite. I canot believe it for several days!!!!!

February 27, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |