February 27th, 2008

Poll: McCain's hard to beat

ALT TEXT

A new poll out Wednesday suggests McCain will be difficult to beat in November. (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, will be a difficult candidate for the eventual Democratic nominee to beat in a general election match up this fall.

According to a just released Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll, McCain would be in tight races with either of the remaining Democratic presidential candidates.

McCain is statistically tied with Sen. Barack Obama, 44 percent to 42 percent, and ahead of Sen. Hillary Clinton by 6 points, 46 percent to 40 percent. The poll's margin of error was plus-or-minus 3 percentage points.

The poll also showed McCain with a 61 percent approval rating, a number higher than both Clinton's and Obama's in past polls. (A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll earlier this month measured Clinton's approval rating at 52 percent and Obama's at 58 percent.)

The Arizona senator holds a clear advantage on dealing with the war in Iraq, according to the poll, and holds a 9 point advantage on economic issues over Obama, despite having acknowledged that area is not his expertise. Though the poll finds voters favor Clinton by 10 points over McCain to handle the economy.

The same poll also showed Obama with a 6 point edge over Clinton nationally - a finding that's consistent with several other polls out earlier this week that indicate that the senator from Illinois is the frontrunner in the Democratic race.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Mgia

I'm voting McCain. Obama is not qualified. Absolutely no foreign policy experience. Hillary was the only one who could win and the democratic party is throwing an election away again.

February 27, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  2. joli

I believe it. if Hillary loses the nomination Ive heard a lot of her supporters including 2 in my family that will vote for McCain. Obama's way to left and they dont like the minute amount of experience he has. I welcome them to the McCain side.

Would you all post this already and stop picking your noses... Ive had to submit it 4 times... jeez I feel like your treating me like you treat Hillary...

February 27, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  3. k

All of you out there who claim to vote for McCain over Obama must really not care about the country or the Democratic party. This type of division is exaclty what they are hoping for. And get over yourself using his middle name. it is that kind of ignorance that "elected" Bush and has our country in the mess its in.

February 27, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  4. Maggie

The media and the republicans know that if Hillary wins the nomination, she will easily beat McCain. That is why they have american voters in this frenzy over Obama so that he will win the nomination and then the McCain will win the presidency. Don't get caught up in this frenzy and vote for Hillary so that democrats can get back into the White House. You voters are playing right into the republicans hands and if this continues and Obama wins the nomination, they will definitely win.

VOTE FOR HILLARY AND THE DEMOCRATS WILL WIN IN NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 27, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  5. Greg, NY

I can't believe that anyone would be that upset if Hillary isn't the nominee and vote McCain. Obama and Hillary are so similar on the issues that it really doesn't matter which one of them wins this.

But, just for good measure, if Obama doesn't win then me, my family, my high school football team, everyone at my office, my doctor AND my pets will vote McCain! So there!

February 27, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  6. Ryan

All these people in here stating they are Democrats who will vote for McCain should Obama win are actually Republicans trying to sway readers.

CNN should start deleting this spam.

Obama will crush McCain in the fall. Even a nation full of idiots aren't going to back 4 more years of Bush-lite.

February 27, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  7. sistamoon

McCain didnt state, we will be in Iraq for 100 years fighting the war, he merely stated we could end up having a permanant base there like we do all over this unstable world. I will vote for him as it stands now.
    I dont have anything against either democrat nominee, I just dont feel like they can get all these promises and issues done without it not taxing us even more, I just cant handle any more taxes period.
    If our country is not secure, it wont matter anyway, so i dont know, it's like we are all between "Iraq and hard place" no pun intended.

So, we will ride with the tide and see what happens in november.
    That said, i do think cnn is trying to get Obama elected all by itself, and to be honest, I dont know why

February 27, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  8. RC Lendz

Indie in Iowa, I agree with what you wrote.

Boy, who do I sound like?

Go Hillary

or

Go McCain

February 27, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  9. Innocent Bystander

How exactly is it that a "statistical tie" makes McCain "hard to beat"? Seriously, do the headline writers even read the articles beforehand?

February 27, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  10. Sherry in Kentucky

If you people vote in McCain this time, I am seriously going to research moving my family to Canada. Ignorance can not win the election AGAIN!!!!

February 27, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  11. Scott

I find this poll hard to believe, when dems are turning out double what republicans are in the primary season. Secondly, I would guess that four out the first 6 comments on this thread are Hillbots. Also, when you look at the several other polls out there, Obama leads McCain in almost all of them, whereas Clinton loses to McCain in most of them. I find it very, very hard to believe that McCain will beat Obama. They havn't seen his army yet, I would venture to say. I have. At my precinct caucus here in Minneapolis, it tied up traffic! The Hillary people had no idea how to even deal with it as the Obama throngs flooded our caucuses. They actually looked a little relieved.....they saw the army they have been coveting all these years. No, I predict a LANDSLIDE for Barack Obama in the general election in November, and you can stick a fork in Hillary, she's done.

February 27, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. norisha

OK, THIS HAS TO BE A POLL BY REPUBLICANS, it can't include real Democrats, WHO WANTS A CLONE OF BUSH???? That's what McCain is. It really breaks my heart to see in print that some so- called dems are so afraid of change! I don't understand the concept of any democrat votin for a republican. I can't stomach it, really people let's get a grip. I'm all for Obama, however if Hillary is the nominee, I will vote for her, because, anything is better than those Republicans.

Obama 2008!!!

February 27, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  13. Katie

Obama makes me sick, but dems should remember that voting for Mccain could mean an almost entirely republican supreme court. given that could mean overturning roe v wade, expanding gun rights, or not promoting carbon control measures, you may be better off holding your nose and voting for Barack Windbag Obama

February 27, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  14. jw, canadian,ok

I'm not buying into any poll with /Bloomberg in it. C'mon the freaking election is in Nov. I'm going into burnout mode, I'll come out Nov 8 to vote Democratic.

February 27, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. Diego

the reason people are saying that if obama gets the nomination they will vote for mccain(and i agree) is because unlike the media is portraying people arent voting for hillary because she is democrate, no they are voting for her because she is the best solution for america, republican or democrate.

and i am not dicrediting obama, i do think he has the potential to be a great uniter and leader but this is the future of not only our country but also of out children the families.

it seems completly idiotic to me that people are following this hype train straight to obama, someone who is moost certainly ignorant to nearly every major issue and has no idea how the system works.

he may be looking to change the system but as much as he is leading you to believe.. they ARE some good things in the government. that dont need to be changed.

February 27, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  16. jr

Why don't the hillary sympathizers just vote for McCain now since they are just trying to excuse their behavior on others, like hillary attempts to blame anybody but herself for all of her own personal inadequacies and failure, and nobody else is to blame, not even the "activists" who can see through her charade...I don't want any poster later saying it is not their fault who they voted for or they were forced, just go back to your cave.......

February 27, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  17. TheLeftNut

CONSPIRICY UNCOVERED!
    Democrats be WARNED!
    It has just been discovered that conservatives are trying to "con" their way back into the White House (once again) using insidious tactics of deception and misinformation.
    Conservative bloggers are told to flock to pro-McCain stories and post comments claiming that they are a Democrat and if "their" Democratic candidate does not get the nomination, then they will vote for McCain.

February 27, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  18. DB

Even in a blurb about McCain, you can't pull yourselves away from Obama and Hillary and you put up a prominent picture of Obama.

Nice. I'm sure there aren't a million photos of McCain accessible through a quick Google search.

February 27, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  19. LostFigs

I gotta hand it to ya' you Republicans are SLICK! You're playin' Obama like a cheap guitar! He touts how he has the support of thousands of "Obamicans" (Repentant republicans). They are helping him rob Hillary of the nomination just like they did with Nader in 2000. They are so afraid of running against Hillary that they are supporting Obama to get the nomination but once the general elections come around, McCain will whistle for them and they'll all go running back. Obama is so naive that he actually believes that he can just "hug" Republicans into changing their core beliefs. One thing about Republicans is that they are not some sort of "crazies" who just need someone to read them some poetry and they'll give up on Abortion rights, Capitol punishment, Immigration, Gun control, etc.

February 27, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  20. maya

I agree that it comes down to the economy. Neither Hillary nor Obama is truly strong against war hero McCain on defense/foreign affairs (despite so many people being against the Iraq war, the GOP will strongly sell McCain's expertise in dealing with the complexities of defense,etc). If Obama were to be our nominee, he would be lacking in both foreign affairs AND economy- it would be "Straight Talk" fiscally responsible McCain vs."Wishful Thinking" tax and spend liberal Obama.

Our only chance is with Hillary and the edge on economy. Two kinds of experience against each other. And we'd have the change also- first female president!! We would have change + experience vs just old experience McCain.

February 27, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  21. MN Woman

I got into politics to support Bill Clinton. That said; Obama and his manical following is enough to send me screaming off into the night to vote for McCain.

I'd like to see how many of you Obama maniacs would have done in the Hanoi Hilton. McCain was the epitomy of hope and courage for staying alive there and refusing an offer to be released ahead of others because of his father's military rank.

Many, many of Obama's followers have never known true hardship and especially not his wife.

February 27, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  22. Ken

McCain is a one issue candidate! Yes the "Surge" has helped in the Bush "Holy War" in Iraq, but McCain cannot rectify a tragic strategic blunder by the Bush neocons with a tactical success. McCain refuses to acknowledge the insanity and tragedy of Bush-Cheney invading Iraq in the first place, a war crime by any definition. It is past time to end the war in Iraq and withdraw, but McCain intends to be in Iraq another 100 years or so, but not with my vote. I am a Republican, have always voted Republican, but no more, not after the Bush-Cheney show! I am afraid that a McCain presidency will be a Bush-3! If we had a working democracy, Bush and Cheney would have been impeached!

February 27, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  23. simple thought ?

CNN, you talk about Hillery Clinton only having half the American vote,
    well it looks like that your candidate of choice is divisive, he cant hold her half of the vote because of concerns of experience, if they sweep to McCain like it seems there stating there gonna do, obama cant win regardless how many youth votes he musters.
    there called Regan democrats, and if you think they wont become McCain democrats then you are over looking a vital voting block.

it takes real experience to make change. and words of yes we can just isn't experience enough. there needs to be meat on the bone
    to make a good stew.

February 27, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  24. Alex

I agree that these polls are meaningless at this point. Right now the only competition is between Clinton and Obama on one side (which seems to be bringing out the sexist and racist in a lot of people) and on the other it's grandpa (a decorated grandpa but grandpa nonetheless) vs. Ned Flanders. The real test will be that whoever wins the Democratic nomination will wipe the floor with McCain once the real campaigning begins. People whine and moan "I'll vote for McCain if the Democratic candidate I like doesn't get nominated" but at the end of the day one has to ask if the US is ready for another 4 years of Republican rule after the shambles left behind by Bush. I will agree that McCain couldn't possibly do worse than Bush – so even if he wins in Nov. it'll be an improvement – but the US has to switch sides periodically otherwise you end up with a country with one-party rule (which seems to be what those in favor of perpetual Republicanism seem to promote). And gee, last I liked the US wasn't too fond of those types of places.

February 27, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  25. POLLS WILL CHANGE ONCE .......

Once we have a CLEAR nomination from the DEMs, the polls will change in favor of the DEMs, no matter who it is.

McCain, like Bush prefers to continue to spend money on a war that shouldn't have happened. Plus McCain has mentioned on several occasions that he is weak on economy.

People want CHANGE from anything related to the last 7+ years.

February 27, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |