February 27th, 2008

Poll: McCain's hard to beat

ALT TEXT

A new poll out Wednesday suggests McCain will be difficult to beat in November. (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, will be a difficult candidate for the eventual Democratic nominee to beat in a general election match up this fall.

According to a just released Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll, McCain would be in tight races with either of the remaining Democratic presidential candidates.

McCain is statistically tied with Sen. Barack Obama, 44 percent to 42 percent, and ahead of Sen. Hillary Clinton by 6 points, 46 percent to 40 percent. The poll's margin of error was plus-or-minus 3 percentage points.

The poll also showed McCain with a 61 percent approval rating, a number higher than both Clinton's and Obama's in past polls. (A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll earlier this month measured Clinton's approval rating at 52 percent and Obama's at 58 percent.)

The Arizona senator holds a clear advantage on dealing with the war in Iraq, according to the poll, and holds a 9 point advantage on economic issues over Obama, despite having acknowledged that area is not his expertise. Though the poll finds voters favor Clinton by 10 points over McCain to handle the economy.

The same poll also showed Obama with a 6 point edge over Clinton nationally - a finding that's consistent with several other polls out earlier this week that indicate that the senator from Illinois is the frontrunner in the Democratic race.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Dan in MA

Can't believe this is happening...Are we watching the same debates? Hillary is tough. I respect that. She's a hero in MA. The reason i can't be inspired by Obama is that i listen to the things he says. He's says he will meet with our enemies any time they want. What about American citizens? Will he meet with us anytime we want? How about fixing the problems at home, before worrying if Raul Castro doesn't like us?

February 27, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  2. Dan

As much as liberals wish otherwise Americans are not socialists.

America can not afford Clinton or Obama and neither of them are qualified to be Commander-in-Chief.

He's not who I want but McCain will have to do.

February 27, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  3. Brandon

D.

As Hilliary would say, Lets get Real. Hillary on record has made the worst Foreign policy decision in the History of this Nation. This single fact makes her unelibable to run as the "better" canidate on Foreign policy.

Secondly, It was during her Husbands reign as President that extremeist planned and set into motion the 9/11 attacks, due partly in response to our attiude to the world, the SAME attitude that Hillary still has to this day.

Obama is going to win, vote for Hillary or Mccain if you want to continue to offend the world and be the constant consquence of these failed policies.

D.
    "I support Hillary, but if she doesn't get the nominee, I'll definitely vote for McCain.

I cannot trust Obama to lead our nation. Just to name one example. In last night Debate, Obama's statement that he had not held a substantive meeting of his Foreign Relations Sub Committee on European Affairs since his chairmanship January 2006 'because he's been campaigning', was unacceptable! For two years, not even a meeting? He said he would change the strateges on Afgfuhan once he'd become the president. Hw even cannot look into to find a solution with our european allies at his current capacity as the cmmittee chairman. He cannot do it now (he's the chairman), How could we expect he can do later (as the president)? The next President will have to juggle many tasks, difficult or more difficult than campaigning! Can you trust that he could bring in the changes that he'd promises. They are only words to bring voters to vote for him. THat's all. I don't trust him can bring the hopes and dreams we expect. "

February 27, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  4. MN Woman

Good Grief, MARKUS, how can you say Barack is the the fighter when he consistently answers debate question with "I agree with Hillary"?

His ability to unify will come down to unification against him! Especially those of us who have a gut feeling, which I trust more than polls, that he is not who he appears to be.

February 27, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  5. Wynn

If Clinton is on the Dem ballot in any capacity, I will vote R.

No more Clintons, No more Bushes.

February 27, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  6. william

McCain's time has come and gone. He was the man for 2000 but Americans snubbed him for a disaster.

If America makes the mistake of choosing him and the disfunctional party known as the Republicans who will tolerate him , then turn on him for 4 years , then they deserve all the misery they vote for.
    Then again , why would those 4 years be any different than the last 7.

Americans just don't read , listen , think or learn. They just follow . The greedy get greedier and the rest just complain.

February 27, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  7. Hillary

Cheeze CNN -why do you keep taking my comments out? There is nothing in them that warrants that.

Hillary for President!!!

February 27, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  8. Maury Dann

This poll means nothing. It's February. Let's revisit the topic come summer, once Obama has locked up the nomination and both nominees have picked a VP, and maybe the polls will be relevant.

February 27, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  9. Linda Li

If we continue with these failed neo-con policies , we'll be begging the EU for help by century's end.

February 27, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  10. SG

If Obama gets the Nomination.I will definately vote for McCain ,I don't like the republican but I don't have another way.

February 27, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  11. malay from Nyc

I watched the debate last night and foundout that not only the moderator is anti- Hilary they also disrespect her.Is there a way to boycott MSNBC? and why Cris Mathew is still in the show? He so racish and disrespectful, women hater. If Obama is the nominee I will vote Nader.....

February 27, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  12. Jonatan (Ohio)

Obama will beat McCain. We don't want 100 years in IRAQ. We just don't want another Republican after Bush. It is time to change. Obama will wins.

February 27, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. Miami

Yes, the Democratic Party has done it again. Turned the party against itself with internal polarization and backbiting. In fact, both candidates are too far, or have moved too far to the left of the mainstream of American voters to survive the Presidential electoral process.

The French saying still goes: The more it changes, the more it's the same.

February 27, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. Faye Rose

There is no way that John McCain or any Republican can beat the Democrat because I would hope people are not stupid enough to want the same old thing for 12 or 16 years.

I dob't believe in your polls and frankly speaking anyone who does is drinking a little to much of the pee thinking its kool-aid.

15. KY4OBAMA2008

I agree with "Eye Opener". This is truly depressing. America deserves whatever it gets. I love my country, but I am so disappointed in the people. If McCain wins this time around, I will likely not participate in an election again. It's no use.

16. Liz

the only person who will lose not voting for a democrat this novemeber is..... YOURSELF.

all of those voting anti-obama need to think about this one for a minute.

17. sam

its a tragedy to see the democrats loose again in the presidential race – no way can i see the "illusionist" obama win on behalf of the democrats- words,words- after having been "caught out" stealing others speeches – its drying up.I am sure, come November America will discover what a great pretender he is. Its a pity George Bush could not be beaten last time, in spite of his many shortcomings – REASON -the democrats chose the wrong nominee – the flip flopper – KERRY. I am sorry the same thing is going to be repeated.

18. RedSea Foreign National

The comments on this blog prove my conspiracy theory! One reason for the large democratic turnout is because many Republicans are voting democrat, and for the candidate they know McCain can beat! Nobama! And while there are 4 senior and long time democrats dividing their own party on an anti Hillary movement conspiring with the media to give Obama a pillow, tbecause they will control him if he gets in, and they are Kennedy, Dean, Kerry, and Gore! But Gore will never endorse anyone because he has too much to lose by doing so. My husband and I had a 20,000 Euro bet, as a joke of course, and I called the whole thing to happen just as it is happening long ago, even before Oprah endorsed Obama, and before McCain was in the race! It feels good to be right, but more so hopeless for the political process!

19. George in OH

To Will, I bet you don't live long enough to know the young and clean Democratic candidate McGovern.

20. Girl from Louisiana

I can't believe these comments about wanting McCain over Obama. Why would i want our troups in Iraq for over 100 years? Who writes this stuff? And who RRREEEEAALLLYY want Clinton? She seemed very bitter during last night's debate. Who wants "poor me"-Clinton as the commander in chief. Not to be outdone: Battle-Clinton :who acts like she gets things working by acting like she is at war with everyone – even debate moderators. FUNNY

21. Rich

Cancel the election and declare McCain "King" and picture you unborn grandchildren dodging IEDs in Iraq in 2075.

22. Justin

Hillary supporters, why would you undermine your very own goals and values by voting for someone who has none of them? This election isn't supposed to be about the person you're electing, it's supposed to be about progress for the United States. Both Barack and Hillary have admitted openly that they share very similar agendas. Why would you abandon your party and subject your country to years of frustration, irrational war and death, and economic devolution just because your candidate did not receive the nomination? In my mind, that' s just selfish. I am an Obama supporter, but I respect Hillary Clinton's principles and I would support her should she receive the nomination. I hope that Hillary supporters will examine their consciences should their candidate be eliminated.

23. cf

Polls are not gospel, you know. McCain, aka Bushie Jr., should receive the ire of Americans for his leader's bungles in Iraq and around the world. As for the Democrats, neither Clinton or Obama are shining examples of strong candidates, but anything is better than four more years of Bush, and that is exactly what a McCain presidency would be.

I have the highest respect for McCain's service history, but I despise his sucking up to Bush and that will shove my vote to anything that the Democrats can run this time.

24. norb

John McCain wasn't the only POW in the Vietnam War.

25. kb from Iowa

Peeeleaze! I would expect Hillary supporter to jump ship if she isn't nominated. I would also expect them to stomp their foot and blame the big bad media for the loss, since it is evident from these blogs that they are getting their information on the issues from their local hair salons. I would love to have a woman president in the white house...but not this woman. That being said, I would rather have a Democratic war monger in the white house than a Republican war monger so I would support my party.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20