February 27th, 2008

Poll: McCain's hard to beat

ALT TEXT

A new poll out Wednesday suggests McCain will be difficult to beat in November. (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, will be a difficult candidate for the eventual Democratic nominee to beat in a general election match up this fall.

According to a just released Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll, McCain would be in tight races with either of the remaining Democratic presidential candidates.

McCain is statistically tied with Sen. Barack Obama, 44 percent to 42 percent, and ahead of Sen. Hillary Clinton by 6 points, 46 percent to 40 percent. The poll's margin of error was plus-or-minus 3 percentage points.

The poll also showed McCain with a 61 percent approval rating, a number higher than both Clinton's and Obama's in past polls. (A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll earlier this month measured Clinton's approval rating at 52 percent and Obama's at 58 percent.)

The Arizona senator holds a clear advantage on dealing with the war in Iraq, according to the poll, and holds a 9 point advantage on economic issues over Obama, despite having acknowledged that area is not his expertise. Though the poll finds voters favor Clinton by 10 points over McCain to handle the economy.

The same poll also showed Obama with a 6 point edge over Clinton nationally - a finding that's consistent with several other polls out earlier this week that indicate that the senator from Illinois is the frontrunner in the Democratic race.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Nikki

McCain will most certainly NOT be hard to beat. No one in their right mind would vote another Republican in office at this point in time. It's Obama I'm worried about. He's not what you think, people! Wake up before it's too late!

February 27, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  2. TheLeftNut

Di like to lie, she's a Republican.

February 27, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. LENA

all of the people that keep saying that they would rather vote for the republican than for the dem. nominee (whoever it may be): are you sane?????

why would rather vote for another term of george w????

February 27, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  4. Richard

McCain IS 4 more years of Bush.

Thanks a lot, turncoat Democrats.

February 27, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  5. norb

After eight years we now here that McCain is favored over the Democratic candidate. I was perplexed how people could have voted for George W not once but twice. And now, do people really think we need another Republican president? Who's putting out this poll? Karl Rove? Democrat's need to stop all the infighting and put your eyes on the "real" prize. If not, out days are numbered.

February 27, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  6. JC-Riverview, FL

Don't let fear be so influential in your decision. Any democrat that votes for McCain has serious insecurity issues on a personal level. McCain is Bush III. Obama or Hillary is what America needs and will truly benefit from.

February 27, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  7. jean jaye

Of course McCain will beat O'bama because the democrats are throwing away our only real threat to the republicans, Cliinton. Why are we so easily led by the hype of "hope" and a pretty package. After this, I will be proud to call myself an "Independent".

February 27, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  8. Jaik , chicago, IL

I'm usually stuck voting for the democrats, its clear to even me that McCain is going to be the next president. It wouldn't even be close except that CNN will always root for the underdog to make sure of a tight race for the sake of their own ratings at the expense of the public good.

February 27, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  9. james

I have to agree if obama beats Clinton then I will vote republican to please dont make me do that!!!!

February 27, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  10. Nic

I think a lot of people are feeling so strongly about Clinton and Obama right now that it's easy to say they'll vote for McCain if their choice does not win the nomination. Heck, I've thought about it myself. But I think those numbers stand to dwindle in the course of the general campaign. How many Democrats, when really faced head on with the possibility of four more years of Republic reign, are going to vote for that? Far fewer than are saying so now, I believe.

February 27, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  11. James Nelson

McCain better able to handle Iraq? Mr. One Hundred Years of Occupation? What out-of-touch lunatics were these pollsters talking to?

February 27, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  12. Julia Byrd, Hayden, Idaho

The so-called "I'm a democrate, BUT....I will vote for McCain if Obama is the nominee," To Quote Hillary, You need a reality check, you are nothing more than a bigot and a traitor to democracy. The Republican party has proved they are more interested in fascist policies than democracy. We need democracy restored, so we can once again be proud of our country. ELECT OBAMA 2008

February 27, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  13. TheLeftNut

Jeremy is a republican.

February 27, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  14. California Voter

If Obama wins the democratic nomination, I too will vote for McCain. Obama has never been vetted, although Fox News is starting to discuss issues basically untouched by CNN.

February 27, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  15. get real

Good go support McCain because he will need all the support he can get since his own party is not behind him. The conservatives will go Nader or some other third party canidate, the silly Hillary supporters (30% of her supporters) will go McCain, the independents will go Obama, and Obama will keep all the supports he already have and get the other true democratic Hillary Supporters (the other 70% of her supporters). Yeah, Obama will win in November!!!

February 27, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  16. Kelly Anne

I think hillary is heading back to the Senate. If she wants to make history, here's how she should do it:

Take the lead in the Senate to get a health care bill through the Senate to President Obama.

This is actualy the hard part. The president can only sign or veto, but it is Congress where these bills survive or die. And it will be very hard work, with the GOP fighting every step fo the way.

Imagine that, even not in the White House, she redeems her failure in 1993 and achieves what the Democrats have not achieved since Truman tried.

This would really be making history.

February 27, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  17. MERVIN

All the talk about Obama and experience. What experience did Bush have? How about the experience of Cheyne and Rumsfield. Were they good for the country?

February 27, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  18. Valerie

If McCain = President, then:
    Me = Canadian.
    That's all I'm saying.

February 27, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  19. Ray - NJ

If Its Obama. Im voting for McCain!!!

I guess when Obama was so full of himself a while ago and said he was sure he could get all of Hillarys votes, He was wrong!!

February 27, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  20. Jose'

Let's see how the Democrats slime a true military hero in their thirst for power!

The '3rd Bush Term' is such a juvenile response.

February 27, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  21. Jesse

McCain is a presumptive nominee, while Obama (the likely nominee) is still fighting out. His national poll numbers will look better once he is the clear nominee. Also, futures markets are typically a better indicator than polls, and Obama has a firm lead over McCain in most of these.

February 27, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  22. Evanip

"Obama has come from behind in EVERY state that he has won other than Illinois. For the general election he starts off with a 6 point lead. The more people get to know Obama, the more they seem to like him and gravitate towards him. I think he is going to be diving into McCains base of supporters as this thing goes on. But the fact that Obama is ahead in the polls already shows that people are leaning his way in the general election."

- AGREED! It is funny, this article could have (and should have) been titled: "Poll: Obama's hard to beat."

Hmmm, wonder why you didn't title it that way, CNN???? Where is this supposed bias now??

February 27, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  23. John Smith

February 27th, 2008 11:39 am ET

why isn't the media talking about how big of a lead John Mccain has over Obama on national security and not as big of a lead agaisnt Hillary. You the media have given Obama a free ride–if the Democrats end up with a nominee that hasn't been vetted properly-I WILL blame you !!!!!!!!!!!! I use to listen to CNN but you are so biased agaisnt Hillary that I have to watch FOX NEWS(YUCK) to get fair reporting. All that I ask–please be even with your coverage.

I AGREE! CNN is disgraceful and I for one will vote republican this year like hundreds of other thousands. This will definitely turn the election in McCain's favor so I hope.

February 27, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  24. Matt John

Obama will only go down from here – he is currently living in a media bubble and his popularity is at a fevered pitch.

Once the motivational aspect of Obama wears off, can he compete?

February 27, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  25. R

I'm a Republican and can tell you that after two terms of Bush as President, Obama seems like the best choice to lead the nation. If he wins the nomination for the Dems I will be casting my vote for him in Nov. If Hillary wins, well then I think that McCain may be the lesser of two evils.

February 27, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |