February 27th, 2008

Poll: McCain's hard to beat

ALT TEXT

A new poll out Wednesday suggests McCain will be difficult to beat in November. (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, will be a difficult candidate for the eventual Democratic nominee to beat in a general election match up this fall.

According to a just released Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll, McCain would be in tight races with either of the remaining Democratic presidential candidates.

McCain is statistically tied with Sen. Barack Obama, 44 percent to 42 percent, and ahead of Sen. Hillary Clinton by 6 points, 46 percent to 40 percent. The poll's margin of error was plus-or-minus 3 percentage points.

The poll also showed McCain with a 61 percent approval rating, a number higher than both Clinton's and Obama's in past polls. (A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll earlier this month measured Clinton's approval rating at 52 percent and Obama's at 58 percent.)

The Arizona senator holds a clear advantage on dealing with the war in Iraq, according to the poll, and holds a 9 point advantage on economic issues over Obama, despite having acknowledged that area is not his expertise. Though the poll finds voters favor Clinton by 10 points over McCain to handle the economy.

The same poll also showed Obama with a 6 point edge over Clinton nationally - a finding that's consistent with several other polls out earlier this week that indicate that the senator from Illinois is the frontrunner in the Democratic race.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Sherry in Kentucky

I am a former Republican turned independent who wants desperately to vote for Obama in the general election. My husband registered to vote last week for the first time because he has been inspired by Senator Obama. To Hillary supporters: Please, guys, we don't want the republicans to steal this election again! Any Democrat who would vote for McCain over Obama. . . is not really a Democrat. So, you guys want 100 years of war in Iraq, the same stale economic policy, and a government by and for the corporations. Rediculous.

February 27, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  2. Obama (AKA "Speeches")

Let's see how "Speeches" does in a debate against MCcain. Speeches will not have Hillary there to agree with.

February 27, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  3. Independant

A Obama/Clinton Democratic would unite the party and "sweep" the Democrats into the White House and Congress. - Did anyone else get the feeling in last night`s debate that`s where this could be headed ???

February 27, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  4. Jennifer

same me if Senator Clinton is not the Party nominee, my friends and I will vote for John McCain. Clinton is our first choice since she is a fighterr and has experience.

February 27, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  5. Ed, Santa Fe NM

the poll is suspect... who in hell would vote for another republican president? the demented christian right?

February 27, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  6. Obama

Let's see how Obama (AKA "Speeches") does in a debate against MCcain. He will no longer have Hillary to agree with.

February 27, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  7. Nate in Mpls

Based on the grammar I am reading in these comments, I vote for the candidate most willing to support edjucation.

February 27, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  8. Ryan

Can I just say that it is ridiculous that some of you Democrats who support Obama or Clinton say you would rather vote for John McCain if your candidate does not get the nomination. Barack and Hillary have very similar agendas, and I think it's almost childish to say you would rather give the White House to someone who would keep us in Iraq another hundred years over a candidate who shares your political views. Let's not be stubborn and see this country falter for another 4 years.

February 27, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  9. Kay

The democrats started off with a wonderful field of candidates – More experienced than McCain and all the other republican candidates combined. But the media and "blind followers" refused to consider them instead focusing on the "new" and "fun" ones even though they were the least likely to win against the experienced republicans. Dems have no one but their own party to thank for that. You think the DNC couldn't see this writing on the wall months ago? Almost like they wanted to lose because they certainly have handed the election over. It will be the republicans again next year and this dem is going to vote that way if Obama is the dem candidate. I started off looking for an experienced candidate last June and that is exaclty what I'm going to vote for.

February 27, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  10. TheLeftNut

"Democrats for McCain"

If you seriously think that voting for McCain is the "RIGHT" thing to do if your Democrat doesn't get nomination:

a. You've been living under a rock for the past seven years

b. You've been suckered into thinking McCain is a moderate

c. You are a Republican poser pretending to be a Democrat.

Democrats vote Democratic this November.

View these poles with great suspicion.

February 27, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  11. Rob in Tennessee

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I'm so very tired of the HRC supporters who claim to be Democrats but only want it their way.

By the time of the convention (most likely before), you will have a clear winner and a clear loser. If it's not your candidate ... well, that's what the process is all about. HRC people professing that the Superdelegates should change the will of the popular vote are the same ones who were jumping up and down about the Supreme Court in Bush v. Gore. Such hypocracy.

I have voted GOP in every national election since I was old enough to vote (that was Reagan in '80), and after the last 8 years I have been giving the Dems a serious look. I've made a deliberate effort to open my mind. I've read Obama's book, and I've read Berstein's book on HIllary, and tried to persuade my Republican friends to do the same..

Dems, losing rapidly losing the interest of one open minded Republican with this childish infighting.

February 27, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  12. Vicky

I will not change. If Hillary is not on the ballot I will vote for McCain as will all of my family members.

Can someone tell me why CNN is not reporting Obama is under investigation by the IRS for mixing church and state.
    Or why there not discussing Michelle Obamas comments in Wisconsin about our souls being broken. "we need to fix our souls before Barack can start working on the problems in America."

My soul does not need fixing and her comments outrage me!!!

February 27, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  13. Nik

Once the bitter Hillary supporters get over their heartbreak it will once again be 60-40 Obama.

February 27, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  14. Donna

Have to agree as a long time democrat and a middle aged women if Obama is the nominee I go with McCain. That seems to be the common theme among my peers yet one that seems to be ignored. Maybe because we are middle aged women we are invisiable to many of you in the media just like you have treated Sen Clinton

February 27, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  15. Darrell

I don't trust this poll for a second, considering that all the other polls show Obama with a 6-7 point lead over McCain, well outside the polls' margin of errors. I also have heard a rumor that Republicans are saying they support Hillary when asked by pollsters as a way to try to get her to be the nominee, since she would be eminently more beatable than Barack.

February 27, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  16. E Fabian

I will not vote for an inexperienced 40-something-ish individual to run this country just because he's charismatic and wears nice suits.

Who cares about the polls anyway? DO I trust them? Are they always accurate? And who are those who are voting in these polls anyways?

I DO NOT want to vote for McCain either but Obama's will be worse for this country. If Obama wins the nomination I will not vote for him and neither is my family.

February 27, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. Peace

It looks funny even before knowing who are the nominees from each Party, people are making Polls who can beat who?

November is a century in Politics, a lot of twists and turns can not be ruled out at the moment.

February 27, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  18. MA

Experience always trumps naive oratory! I have always voted Democrat but it seems this time I will be voting for John McCain. It is true, people in this country are so delusional that they are willing to forego true responsibility.

The country has gone through seven years of inexperience and stupidity. The people are willing to go through with this simply because they see an "inspirational" speaker, "GIVE ME A BREAK!!"

February 27, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  19. Mike NYC, NY

all the Hillary supporters on here who say they will abandon the party and vote for McCain if she is not the nominee: that is exactly why she isn't getting the nomination. Bush=McCain=Hillary, all the same politics as usual. If you would rather have an escalation in Iraq and tax cuts for the rich instead of some sensible Barack policies than please leave, you will only hurt our team as we try to get real work done anyhow...

February 27, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  20. Brenna

I guess I'm not understanding the world of politics – this country has come to be so against the Iraq war, our men and women being killed or coming home maimed physically and mentally, and our economy suffering terribly because of the stupendous amount of money being spent each month with no end in sight. How can it be that McCain has any supporters at all? How can we vote for someone who has no plans to end this insanity? I truly don't understand.

February 27, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  21. B. Smart

Democratic Voters will choose McCain if Obama win's? I would love to hear the
    reasons(time to face ourselves) behind this non-intelligent thinking. Why
    cut off your noses to spite your face?

OBAMA 08.

February 27, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  22. Erik

For a true Democrat to say they would vote for McCain if Obama then a) your a Republican starting mess, b) enjoy the eight years of Bush, c) obviously are an out of touch with reality Clinton supporter. If Senator Clinton was any other qualified woman running for President then she would stand a far better chance than being herself. She is a divider of solutions vs. a unifier of solutions.

February 27, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  23. Christine V from Dallas, TX

If Obama gets nominated then I will vote for McCain.

Experience will bring change but without experience there is no change!

Talk is cheap!

February 27, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  24. Daniel

These polls are incorrect. Don't trust them. If you're a Dem and your candidate doesn't win the primary, don't vote for McCain out of spite, that's perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. If you must protest your candidate not winning (Whinary supporters) then vote for Nader or write in the losing (Hillary) Dem nominee. If you vote for McCain you can no longer call yourself a Democrat.

February 27, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  25. Griff

Suspicious sampling strategy they must have used. Just a week ago I read a few reputable polls showing Obama heads up with McCain 6-8 points ahead. What happened to cause a 8-10 point turn around?

February 27, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |