February 27th, 2008

Poll: McCain's hard to beat

ALT TEXT

A new poll out Wednesday suggests McCain will be difficult to beat in November. (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, will be a difficult candidate for the eventual Democratic nominee to beat in a general election match up this fall.

According to a just released Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll, McCain would be in tight races with either of the remaining Democratic presidential candidates.

McCain is statistically tied with Sen. Barack Obama, 44 percent to 42 percent, and ahead of Sen. Hillary Clinton by 6 points, 46 percent to 40 percent. The poll's margin of error was plus-or-minus 3 percentage points.

The poll also showed McCain with a 61 percent approval rating, a number higher than both Clinton's and Obama's in past polls. (A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll earlier this month measured Clinton's approval rating at 52 percent and Obama's at 58 percent.)

The Arizona senator holds a clear advantage on dealing with the war in Iraq, according to the poll, and holds a 9 point advantage on economic issues over Obama, despite having acknowledged that area is not his expertise. Though the poll finds voters favor Clinton by 10 points over McCain to handle the economy.

The same poll also showed Obama with a 6 point edge over Clinton nationally - a finding that's consistent with several other polls out earlier this week that indicate that the senator from Illinois is the frontrunner in the Democratic race.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Aparna

This is not a true account and essentially a meaningless statisitic. McCain does not have an opponent.

February 27, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  2. Jenny, Rio Vista, CA

If there are any REAL democrats on this blog that are saying they will vote for Mccain if Hilary doesn't win are being very childish. I want you to go back on the blog and list all the wonderful things that McCain stands for that makes you want to vote for him. Tell me, do you like being in a war, do you want the rich to keep getting a tax break, do you want your jobs to continue to go abroad, do you want your house taken away from you?

If the answer to all these questions i yes... then go ahead and vote for McCain. if the answer is no then stop acting so childish.

February 27, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  3. Brian

It's definitely funny to see the people who say they are Democrats but will vote for McCain – they all talk about how they watch Fox News for their "objective" coverage.

Sorry, but that's like a wolf saying he's a sheep while chewing on some lamb chops.

February 27, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  4. get real

Its a bunch of Hillary supporters making comments with the hope of scaring people to vote her. Try again!!! If you truly support Hillary and her vision, you will not vote McCain in November if she does not win the nominee because when it comes down to it, Hillary and Obama are Xerox copies of each other.

February 27, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  5. Deana

I would like to point at that in the 2004 primary both Edwards and Kerry beat Bush in the POLLs. So all of those who Obama supporters who think he is sure thing better think again. I am a democrat who does not foresee voting for him and I vote in every election, so....

February 27, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  6. Jacob

If "Obama" was a 100% White (He is only 50 % Now ) , with his ablilities he would have already won the democratic race hands down by now , Mc Cain would not even have 80 – 20 chance to win the election as per the Polls

I Think Obama is the Best Candidate , Hillary Second and Mc Cain Third .

I Really feel bad seeing all this comments , How can people even think that way , They dont Love America , People still look at an Eye of skin, Race & Religion

February 27, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  7. Mary Johnson

McCain IS NOT another Bush. He actually crosses party lines on a few things, and is not afraid to challenge Republicans. THAT'S what we need in office - someone semi-conservative who can and WILL challenge the far right conservatives. More will get done this way. Trust me.

And I'm glad he wants to go the distance in Iraq. He doesn't just want to cut and run. We broke it, we need to fix it.

February 27, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  8. Monsur,

Barak is soft on national security he will surrender to our enemy I know John and Hillary will not we can't take this risk.

February 27, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  9. Oh no she didn't

Nice to hear the Poor losers......"If Hillary loses then I vote for McCain". Enjoy having your children and Grandkids in Iraq for the next 100 years. Dolts!

February 27, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  10. C. Dahlstrand, Orlando

This Democrat will be voting for McCain if, and ONLY IF, Barack Obama is the Democratic nominee... Obama is too far left, out of touch with reality, and simply an unsuitable candidate for our country at this time. Hillary is the more moderate choice, whose positions on key issues of education, health care, the war, and many others are more in line with the majority of Democrats. It baffles me that someone whose on the fringe, like Obama, has managed to shore up so much support.

February 27, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  11. Kathy

PLEASE don't vote on the basis of an emotional response. Look at each candidate's record. Forget all of the hype and BS. It's politics! And as to news reports, the media needs conflict to keep their ratings up. This is too important to rely on what the pundits say.

February 27, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  12. HoiPolloi

How in the world can anyone say McCain is a "continuation" of Bush? Give me a break. McCain has fought with Bush on a host of issues.

I thought McCain was the sort of Republican Democrats could like? I guess that was true - until he became the Republican nominee. Now he's, what, evil? That is laughable.

The fact is there's a lot of contrast between Bush and McCain, and everyone knows it.

February 27, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  13. Kevin

Most likely the race is going to be McCain against Obama. I like Obama's personality, he is great at energizing crowds behind him. But I don't think a lot of Obama supporters are really looking at the issues. To think that someone could walk into the presidency and all of the sudden everything is magically fixed is ridiculous. I don't see how electing Obama is going to change anything. Actually I think his stances on the issues will make everything worse!

February 27, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  14. Justine, Cincinnati

It makes me sad that democrats are willing to give up their beliefs if Clinton is not the nominee. How could any dem vote for a mini-Bush? SERIOUSLY PEOPLE!?!?! I don't understand one bit. Luckily I don't have to worry about it too much... President Obama is what we will be calling him soon!

CHANGE 08!

February 27, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  15. checkthisout

The Democrats are weak against terrorism.
    They do not believe in the war in Iraq.
    They want to cut and run.

America has been in Japan and Germany for over 60 years since WW2.
    100 years in Iraq is realistic.

McCain 08.

February 27, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  16. TheLeftNut

"I LOVE IT!"

Every Republican POSER is posting on this story saying "I'm a Democrat and I'll vote for McCain if my Democratic candidate doesn't get the nomination."

POSERS!

I'm taking names. Meet me outside at lunch time

February 27, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  17. nick

This is a bizarre poll. AP-Ipsos had it 51 Obama vs. 41 McCain. Even Fox had it 47 Obama vs. 42 McCain. Both as of this week. RCP Average of 6 National Polls has it 47 Obama vs 43 McCain. All were outside the margin of error. Why is the Times/Bloomberg so off the mark? Is Mike Bloomberg trying to paint things as a toss-up, so he can run? I sure wish CNN would vet these polls and put them in context before regurgitating the results.

February 27, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  18. gina

I'm yet another Hillary supporter who will switch and vote McCain if Obama is the Democratic nominee. Oh, and Sarah L., it's NOT because of the division in the party caused by the bickering between Hillary and Obama... it's because of the lack of experience Obama possesses, and the strut he seems to have acquired. The media is to blame for some of that, as well as making some of us sick to our stomachs of this cult-like following. Voters need to wake up and be responsible for their actions. The fate of our country is on the line. HILLARY '08

February 27, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  19. dave

Can somebody tell HRC, please quit before she drags everybody into a black hole? Stop negative campaign, for God's sake.

February 27, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  20. SC - Indie

HELLO! Check your facts!
    McCain will be 72 yrs old by Nov. 2008 -
    and age 76 if he finishes out his first term!

February 27, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  21. Nick

If Obama wins the nomination, my vote is McCain.
    Lets see the debates for the general election. The word "change" is going to be translated as "empty promises".
    By the way this goes on the account of bias media including CNN...

February 27, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  22. get real

How about you side switchers just stay home on election day!!!

February 27, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  23. Jennifer

to all the NUTS DEMOCRATS:
    my friends and I care very much for this country if does mean we have to change Parties, so be It.. We prefer as a President some one like Hilary Clinton, a strong, experienced and capableperson, if she goes then our votes goes for John McCain. Period.

February 27, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  24. Mike

The only chance the Democrats have over McCain is on the economy. On that issue, Clinton wins.

Obama versus McCain on foreign policy is a losing argument for Dems. Maybe not in the primaries, but in the general election it surely is a loser.

February 27, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  25. Jim

The only true American, the only one who has always supported the U.S. Constitution, is Ron Paul.

February 27, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |