February 27th, 2008

Poll: McCain's hard to beat

ALT TEXT

A new poll out Wednesday suggests McCain will be difficult to beat in November. (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, will be a difficult candidate for the eventual Democratic nominee to beat in a general election match up this fall.

According to a just released Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll, McCain would be in tight races with either of the remaining Democratic presidential candidates.

McCain is statistically tied with Sen. Barack Obama, 44 percent to 42 percent, and ahead of Sen. Hillary Clinton by 6 points, 46 percent to 40 percent. The poll's margin of error was plus-or-minus 3 percentage points.

The poll also showed McCain with a 61 percent approval rating, a number higher than both Clinton's and Obama's in past polls. (A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll earlier this month measured Clinton's approval rating at 52 percent and Obama's at 58 percent.)

The Arizona senator holds a clear advantage on dealing with the war in Iraq, according to the poll, and holds a 9 point advantage on economic issues over Obama, despite having acknowledged that area is not his expertise. Though the poll finds voters favor Clinton by 10 points over McCain to handle the economy.

The same poll also showed Obama with a 6 point edge over Clinton nationally - a finding that's consistent with several other polls out earlier this week that indicate that the senator from Illinois is the frontrunner in the Democratic race.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Michelle in Philly

I will not vote for Obama either, he's arrogant to think Hillary supporters would support him if she doesn't win the nomination.

My vote will be for McCain

February 27, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  2. Joe

Thanks Vicky!! More needs to get out about Michelle Obama...she's got a lot in her closet that needs to be checked into. I have a friend in Chicago who says she is bossy, loud and arrogant.

February 27, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  3. Susan

I agree with Gina's comments – many of Hillary's supporters understand that our country cannot afford an inexperienced candidate as commander in chief. While I am impressed with the way Obama touts bringing together all facets of the political divide, his record indicates he has not taken any difficult positions. Hillary and McCain both have worked very hard to bring the various and sometimes polar opposite positions of congress to work together to accomplish something. I for one could never vote for Obama not because I don't think he appears to have really great speaking skills and some good ideas but because I happen to be from the "Show Me State". Hillary and McCain have shown me what they can do.

February 27, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  4. Bob, Lyons Oregon

I don't believe McCain will be hard to beat at all, if Obama is the Nominee, on the other hand, if Clinton is the nominee, Its very possible for her to be beat by McCain, since she comes with so much Baggage. My Vote has been and will remain with Obama.

OBAMA 08.

February 27, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  5. Your kidding right?

What a lying piece of trash this poll is? Let's see, 70% of the US is against the war and the warmonger is the top choice? Yeah right, tell us some more BS CNN.

This guy is more warmongering filth that will drag us down the toilet as Bush as done.

February 27, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  6. Jeff H., Tulsa, OK

Frankly, I am not thrilled by any of the three major contenders. However... after 8 years of watching my beloved America go down the toilet under bush/republican "leadership", I intend to vote Democratic NO MATTER WHO THE NOMINEE IS.

February 27, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  7. Di

Obama would be 4 more years of stupidity....same as George Bush!!!

February 27, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  8. Brian Tampa, FL

For all of you Democrats who believe the high turnout in the Democratic primaries means your guy is looking good for the general, please keep in mind the same was true in '84 for Dukakas/Hart and we all know how that ended up.

February 27, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  9. JT

TO THOSE THAT CLAIM TO VOTE MCCAIN IF OBAMA IS THE NOMINEE:

Why? Seriously... think about that. Obama and Clinton are almost identical on every issue. They BOTH know what they're talking about. What does experience matter if McCain's experience will lead us in a completely OPPOSITE direction from Hillary?

If issues matter to you, you should vote for either Democrat that wins. If you don't mind having a third term for Bush politics... then sure... vote for McCain.

Your weak favoritism is disgusting.

February 27, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  10. joli

I believe it. if Hillary loses the nomination Ive heard a lot of her supporters including 2 in my family that will vote for McCain. Obama's way to left and they dont like the minute amount of experience he has. I welcome them to the McCain side.

February 27, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  11. Bic from CT

I believe you will see more people from the democrats party going to the republican party if Obama gets the nomination for the democrats. I do not think it will be like that if Hillary wins. I believe the press made Obama the front runner in this race and only trashed Hillary on everything they could come up with weather it was true or not. The press for sure has been one sided right from the start.

February 27, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  12. Vince

LOOK at you Hillary-ites.... spewed such hatred for so long now, that you would rather see a third bush term than put a tru progressive in office.... yeah... way to go.. Keep your petty biases above what's best for the country.

sad and pathetic.

February 27, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  13. Corinna

Im from Arizona let me inform you, if you make under 100,000 a year you need a reality check, do not vote for McCain, he cares nothing about your financial future and the future of your children, he has done nothing for Arizona but secure his future and that of his "friends." Don't judge the man for what happened to him 40 years ago but what he stands for today.

February 27, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  14. AMoore

of course I will vote for Obama. All my friends are supporting Hillary. If she loses in the primary, we will turn to MaCain. Anyone but Obama.

Go Hillary!

February 27, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  15. What a sad day for America...

There is no way that I would ever vote for Obama! I don't trust him or his rhetoric - never have and never will - I really feel sorry for those who are being led down his path...
    So, Hillary had my vote, but if Obama wins the Dem nomination, my family will be voting for MCCAIN!!!
    I can only think what will happen to the America we all love if Obama is our next President...

February 27, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  16. dbacchus

2 Ray – NJ – if you are threatening to vote for a Republican if your candidate doesn't get nominated, you deserve to be "degraded" as you put it. You don't really care about healthcare, you couldn't care less about Iraq, and you are wliing to give tax-cuts to the rich. Just curoius: didn't you vote for Bush in 2000 and 2004?

February 27, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  17. Di

Indie in Iowa, you are exactly right...that is how Obama has won all those republican states. They are crossing over to keep Hillary out.

Obama will never beat McCain!!!

February 27, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  18. SPQR753

To all democrats who would vote McCain should Obama be the nominee:

1) I still am of the opinion that Obama is nothing more than a bumper sticker.

2) To vote for McCain in order NOT to vote for OBAMA is like the man who evirated himself to spite his wife: NOT TOO SMART!!!!!!!!

3) Nobody needs another version of G.W Bush !!!

February 27, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  19. Roger

People should realize that regardless of how much Obama and Clinton try to emphasize differences in their views, they are both Democrats at the end of the day and really there are not that many differences. Supporters of either Obama or Hilary that are so willing to suddenly back McCain if their candidate doesn't the nomination suggest to the world that they were not supporting their candidate for the right reasons in the first place.

February 27, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  20. Kathryn Irby

To "hsl":

I know that Barack Obama is crying in his beer because you "won't vote" for him!!! LOL!!! He doesn't need your ignorant vote!

Kathryn Irby
    Metairie, LA

February 27, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  21. wes

Can't anyone here see what is going on? They are all the same! Any one of them will take us down the same path and put this country further behind. Wake up! Look beyond the bs. It just shows that the educational system in America is getting worse.

February 27, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  22. norb

Only job McCain is qualified for is driving one of his wife's beer trucks.

February 27, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  23. Ludovic

I am looking for the RealClearPolitics pool avarage and Obama is still leading Mccain in general election. This average include pools that have been release today. So I don't really understand why this specific pool is more accurate then the others (can CNN explain us ?)
    another pool have been published today (reasearch2000) showing obama with a lead of 6 points over mccain
    Why do you think LA time/Bloomberg pool is more accurate then Research2000 one ?

February 27, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  24. Mary

Back when John Edwards was still running (who I still wish was still in the running for the nominee), I swore up and down that I wouldn't vote for any other Dem.

After he left the race, I eventually cooled down and realized either of the other two Dems were a far more supportable than somebody who is clearly getting set up to be a puppet for a third Bush/Cheney term.

That said, I'll really have to hold my nose and take anti-vomit pills to vote for Clinton. But I will. If it shuts out McCain.

I bet a lot of people who swear they will swing their vote over to McCain over Obama/Clinton should that person win, will also come back to reality.

February 27, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  25. JJ

americans can't stand another republican. we're tired of em.

February 27, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |