February 27th, 2008

William F. Buckley Jr. dies

William F. Buckley, Jr. has died.
William F. Buckley, Jr. has died.

(CNN) – National Review founder William F. Buckley Jr. died overnight at his home in Stamford, Conn., officials at the magazine confirmed Wednesday.

"I’m devastated to report that our dear friend, mentor, leader, and founder William F. Buckley Jr., died this morning in his study in Stamford, Connecticut," Kathryn Jean Lopez, editor of the National Review Online wrote on the Web site Wednesday.

"He died while at work; if he had been given a choice on how to depart this world, I suspect that would have been exactly it. At home, still devoted to the war of ideas. "

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. May he rest in peace

Mr. Buckley was one of those journalist who are very true to their profession. To listen and read his writeups is like a breath of fresh air. We have lost another good journalist, a man with honor and integrity, who says things as is.

Thank you Mr. Buckley for all the good things you've done for our country, for opening our eyes when others in the field of journalism deliver tabloid news and writeups.

Rest in peace sir. My deepest condolence to the Buckley family.

February 27, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  2. Jim Schween

William F. Buckley was a giant of true conservatism. His was an intelligent and articulate argument unlike the "conservatives" today.

February 27, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  3. jlunz

We have lost a National Treasure

February 27, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  4. California Independent

It is truly sad to loose a journalist and man of integrity.

I'm guessing "Rob" is an Obama follower continuing to do his candidate proud.

February 27, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  5. ILoveAmerica

The article says Buckley died while at work – but I believe he actually died laughing, while watching a video clip of Hillary Clinton shouting "Shame on you!" at Barack Obama.

February 27, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  6. Brian

As a liberal, I'm sorry to hear of Mr. Buckley's death. He was an intelligent, "thinking" conservative, and although I didn't agree with much of anything he said, he was quite good at articulating the right's point of view.

If only modern politics were debated and framed by figures like Buckley and weren't dominated by the looney fringes of the left and right, our country would be better off today. My condolences to his family.

February 27, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  7. Yvonne

Mr. Buckley showed me how beautiful the English language is. What a delight it was to listen to him. He spoke and used our language so eloquently, yet made it simple to understand.
    I am an immigrant and proud to speak English, although I do have an accent.
    Thank you Mr. Buckley. The world will miss you.

February 27, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  8. Woz - Los Gatos, CA

Goodbye, old friend.

February 27, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  9. Josh Geller

I will really miss him.

It's the end of an era.

February 27, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  10. Obama Mama

As an avid Obama supporter, an independent with liberal leanings, and a woman, I am sad to hear of William Buckley's death.

He was an intellect, a scholar and exactly the kind of conservative to lead intelligent discourse on many subjects. I usually did not agree with his opinions, but always found them thoughtful and provocative (in the best sense of the word).

I would like to think that Mr. Buckley was exactly the kind of person that Senator Obama would welcome into discussions when speaking of including diverse groups and opinions.

February 27, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  11. Darth Vadik, CA

Rest in peace,

however, the idea of conservatism when it comes to economics is disasterous.

February 27, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  12. Pat A.

What a tremendous loss to humanity. Mr. Buckley was an outstanding intellect and scholar. He will be tremendously missed.

February 27, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  13. Kathryn Irby

The typical eccentric Republican!

Kathryn Irby
    Metairie, LA

February 27, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  14. Ron

Great mind, presence and ability to convey his concervative message in a way that all understood. I believe he would not be happy with our politcal change now evolving.

February 27, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  15. Stu R. Manchester, VT

He was a hero to me in my youth, both for his intellect and his unrivalled use of language. I remember reading National Review in the college library and marvelling at his insight. Rest in peace.

February 27, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  16. Andre

The end of an era. He managed to be WRONG on all of the issues.

February 27, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  17. An Agnostic Democrat

Never agreed with him much, but always respected him for his thoughtful, well-reasoned opinions. May he rest in peace.

P.S. California Independent: Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they are against your limited scope of thinking.
    Try Buckley's approach – critical thinking and analysis! You don't have to stand against something just because you stand for something. You're starting to sound very all-or-nothing, black-and-white – call it what you will. Some of us don't even vote! We just happen to have strong opinions about the currrent political landscape or candidates which you seem very threatened by unless it's your own. Free speech? Not required to vote? All our inalienable rights, is that not correct, sir?

February 27, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  18. bullu

Did he die when he saw that the US is about to elect a Socialist president?

February 27, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  19. Matt

I may not have always agreed with him, but William F. Buckley Jr. is somebody that I respected for his intellect and his integrity. He will be missed.

February 27, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  20. Frank Lee

What a shame the Republican party has become a collection of crackpots and loud-mouthed extremists, unlike what Mr. Buckley envisioned.

February 27, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  21. Chris in Columbus

Goodnight, funnyman.

February 27, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  22. John Westra (www.votewestra.com)

William F. Buckley Jr. departs this world as an icon of political thought and informed, civilized discourse. Mr. Buckley and his analysis of important political issues, challenged me to always be a student of history, think "deeper" and never underestimate the power of wit as a tool to disarm my opponents.

Mr. Buckley, it is my fond hope that you are now in a place that can only be described by someone with your eloquence. You will be sorely missed.

February 27, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  23. Craig, New Jersey

goodbye

February 27, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  24. Bayou Joe

America has lost one of it's treasures. My prayers go out to his family. I am saddened that people of his stature are disappearing from the American landscape. We have nothing but hot air bags talking about economic issues and not doing anything about it.
    He has been spared the sight of witnessing the downfall of capitalism and the rise of socialism in America.

February 27, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  25. Brian

Now that he is gone, will his history, working as a CIA operative, come to light?

February 27, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |