February 28th, 2008

Huck and Chuck reunited

LUBBOCK, Texas (CNN) – The sight of Mike Huckabee side by side with Chuck Norris in Texas on Thursday evoked memories of the campaign trail in January when the former Arkansas governor effectively used the martial arts star to get supporters revved up at rallies in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Gone is Huckabee's frontrunner status but Norris and wife Gina, residents of College Station, Texas, are back after a few weeks off the trail. They joined Huckabee at his second rally of the day in Waco and will stay with the campaign through Tuesday when Texas holds its primary. Whether or not it was thanks to Norris , 700 people packed the hotel ballroom while 500 more had to listen to the speech over a speaker system in the hallway.

Huckabee added to the long list of Chuck Norris “facts”, telling Waco supporters, many of them students at nearby Baylor University, “Chuck Norris doesn’t just draw a crowd, he shows up and the crowd materializes.” He added, “In my administration there would be room for a Secretary of Defense named Chuck Norris!”

Norris says he decided to support Huckabee after watching him debate and doing some online research. “Being on the campaign with [Huckabee] for the last four months, I’m really impressed with this man and I really know and believe that he is the man to lead our nation in the future. So I’ll do whatever I can to help get him elected,” said Norris before going into a fundraiser with Huckabee in Amarillo.

Standing next to the six-time karate world champion, Huckabee told reporters he needs to win Texas next week to change the course of the race. “I’m not stupid, I understand that a lot of the time the crowd comes to see Chuck. But between Chuck and me hopefully we get them to go vote Tuesday.”

– CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. JUDY

huckabee is a true person. hope to see you run again in 2012

February 28, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  2. kelis serto, Williamsburg

Huckabee is a fighter. Best wishes.

February 28, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  3. Theodore Clepfus, Bennington, AR

Wow! This is great. This is great for America. Mike Huckabee for president.

February 29, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  4. Miranda Moraga

Chuck Norris for Vice President

February 29, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  5. Brad

Hillary and Obama 200 Million each spent buying the election
    McCain 120 Million from special interest to buy the election
    Huckabee 12 Million from the people

KEEP AMERICA FREE!!! VOTE HUCKABEE!!!

February 29, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  6. Marc

McCain Man Up !!! Debate Huckabee!!

February 29, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  7. anne

Actually, Mike drew 2,000 people to a rally in Plano Texas last week without Chuck. Looks like Texas Hearts Huckabee!

February 29, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  8. Mothers in Ohio For Obama - MOFO

We really guess... NOT!

OBAMA '08

February 29, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  9. Frank

I believe what Norris said that Mike is the man to lead our nation in the future

February 29, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  10. LENA

It's over, Huck.

February 29, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  11. Kirk

MIKE , I'M A DEMOCRAT , AND I'M SUPPORTING HILLARY CLINTON BUT I MUST ADMIT I REALLY LIKE YOUR STYLE . HEY IF HILLARY DOESN'T MAKE THE NOMINATION I'M GOING VOTE REPUBLICAN . IT GREAT TO SEE YOU ON THE TICKET . WISH YOU THE BEST

KIRK

February 29, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  12. Erin

"I’m not stupid, I understand that a lot of the time the crowd comes to see Chuck." <<< The most intelligent thing to come out of Huckabee.

February 29, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  13. Kemic - Houston, Texas

What a gas!

February 29, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  14. ET

Give up Huck, No miracle this time. Sorry, you were not the chosen one

February 29, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  15. Sharon

You know I liked Huckabee at the start of this and thought he would make a good VP to McCain, but after he has continued this on when it is totally obvious that he'll never be the one running for President, now it's starting to look really sad. I hope he's enjoying himself, sadly he may be on the last leg of his political career.

February 29, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  16. Chris in Va.

"Reunited and it feels so good.... reunited cause we understood, there's one perfect fit and sugar this one is it..." What a cute couple, an actor who can't act and a preacher who can't preach.

February 29, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  17. Lost in Moderation in Vermont

Mike. Please join Hillary on Tuesday and say goodbye.

February 29, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |