February 28th, 2008

Nader picks running mate

Matt Gonzalez ran for mayor of San Francisco in 2003.
Matt Gonzalez ran for mayor of San Francisco in 2003.

(CNN) – Ralph Nader has selected a former San Francisco city official as his running mate in the presidential race.

Nader announced his selection of Matt Gonzalez, who served as a public defender and a member of the board of supervisors in San Francisco, at a news conference Wednesday.

"It is an honor to run with Mr. Nader," Gonzalez said. "I hold him in high esteem and share his politics."

Gonzalez said his priorities in the campaign are election reform, poverty and the war in Iraq.

"I find Matt Gonzalez unwavering in his principles," Nader said.

He announced Sunday that he will launch his fourth consecutive White House bid - fifth if his 1992 write-in campaign is included.

Many Democrats fear Nader could draw votes from whoever gets the party's nomination, potentially helping presumptive Republican nominee Sen. John McCain win the White House in November. Nader has long rejected accusations that he served as a spoiler in 2000, in effect helping George W. Bush beat out Al Gore.

Filed under: Ralph Nader
  1. cj

I had such respect for Ralph Naders work and legacy. That is past tense I"ve lost all respect for him and what he stood for. He is so obviously trying to shave votes off of Obama's lead. Shame on you Nader.

February 28, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. JF

What in the world is this country coming to? We already have three evils vying for the White House, and now the Independent Party wants to add 2 more. Please tell me this is a big joke on the American people.

I think we should start the election process all over again with better and different candidates. The debates among the Obama and Clinton are just as boring as the candidates are. It's the same ole questions, same ole answers and honestly, I don't think we are going forwards, I think the candidates are stalmated.

It's a crying shame that we have not been afforded with better candidates for the 2008 Election. I have been following this very closely and it turns my stomach to hear how they speak. I would have to admit that Obama have given far better victory speeches then what Clinton ever has. She is too repetitive.

I watched Lou Dobbs and he claimed there will be a great candidate that will appear on the Independent ticket at the right time. Surely, he is not referring to Ralph Nader. What is so great about him and his new running mate? Give me a break!

February 28, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  3. Anonymous

In a time where we

February 28, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. SD

I can't say I understand at all the kneejerk response to the offering of a variety of people for voters to vote for as a negative, or, worse, as a plot to "steal" votes. Votes do not automatically belong to the two parties; they belong to the people, and need to be earned. If this strikes fear in the hearts of Democrats, then good! Give the nation a reason to vote for you, get people who don't usually vote to vote by truly showing that you will actually change their lives, that you care about equality, about poverty, about education, about healthcare. Don't complain about Nader "stealing" votes when there are millions of people living in poverty, whose lives will not be changed by this election because once again no one will do anything but watch the rich get richer–I'd say that the votes of the poor have certainly be stolen, and not by Nader. Offer real changes, real solutions to the problems faced by the people of this country–give them a reason to vote. Don't come and say that Ralph Nader is here to Hamburglarize the votes that belong to the Democrats apparently by default.

February 28, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  5. bernj

I think Nader is being financed by the republicans.

It really does not matter. Nader will I suppose get a few votes from folks who think they have sense but don't have enough to realize that he is either getting paid or stone crazy. Either way he boring.

February 28, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  6. Ed Griffith

Did the democrats pay Perot to spoil the election for the Republicans? I do not think so and do not think republicans are paying Nader.
    It is a free country and if Nader wants to run, that is fine. I would respect him more and consider voting for him if in the past four years he had tried to build up a third party to run on as an alternative to the two party system. Just running for the president at the last moment seems to be more of an ego thing.

February 28, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. Ian

He's not a tool of the Repulican's, he's a tool of the media. If he's such a long-shot candidate why would they give him such a nice writeup, and such attention after just recently announcing his run? People either love this guy or love to hate him, but either way they are paying attention every time his name gets mentioned which equals ratings. After what happened in 2000 Nader is big news. Whether you like it or not he is going to be an even bigger story after the November elections.

"I know what you're thinking. Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"

February 28, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  8. Phil, KC, MO

I think Mr. Nader has many good points and is trying to bring about real, positive change (although I hate to use that word, as it has become just so much campaign rhetoric). However, he is going about it all wrong. His actions are actually counter-productive to his cause.
    A vote for Nader will detract from the Democrats. Does anyone really think that a Nader voter would otherwise vote for McCain? If so, you have a total lack of understanding of the issues. If you detract from the Democrats, you benefit the Republicans, who stand for all the things Nader is trying to overturn.
    I think the best think Mr. Nader could do would be to drop out and work for his cause through other channels. I fear, as is, he will hand the election, once again, to the Republicans.

February 28, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |