February 28th, 2008

Polls show Clinton, Obama in tight race in Texas

Sens. Obama and Clinton greet the audience before last weeks CNN debate.
Sens. Obama and Clinton greet the audience before last weeks CNN debate.

(CNN) – Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are in a tight race in Texas, according to a “poll of polls” calculated by CNN on Thursday.

An average of three polls of likely Democratic voters has Sen. Barack Obama at 48 percent and Sen. Hillary Clinton at 45 percent. Seven percent were unsure.

The average also shows Sen. John McCain, the presumptive GOP nominee, holding a nearly 20-point lead over former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee among likely Republican primary voters. McCain has 53 percent to Huckabee's 34 percent, and Texas Rep. Ron Paul has 9 percent. Four percent were unsure.

Texas voters will be joined by those in Ohio, Vermont and Rhode Island when they head to the polls on March 4. With Obama surging into the lead on 11 straight wins since Super Tuesday, Clinton's supporters admit that she must do well in Texas and Ohio if she is continue to battle for the nomination.

CNN's Texas poll of polls results were calculated using three surveys: a Belo/Public Strategies poll conducted February 24-25, an American Research Group poll conducted February 23-24, and a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll conducted February 22-24.

Earlier, an American Research Group poll of likely Democratic voters on February 13-14 showed Obama ahead, 48-42, with 10 percent undecided. A CNN poll taken between February 14-17 showed Clinton ahead, 50-48.

–CNN.com Senior Political Producer Scott Anderson

1. maynard

i don,t believe any polls taken by any campaign affiliates

February 28, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  2. seektruth

the point is who can unite the country and get jod done, who can lead the country with the will of america people not special interests, who have good judgement on the crisis of wars, who will be right on day one not just ready on day one (to make mistakes then says I will take that vote back after cause treasures lives and millions millions $ debt). America people can't offord that again, the america people suffer from her bad judgment! no more please!
    by the way, where is her tax return ? who will vote for her if we don't know where her money comes from? what she hides ? it only take 50 second to get this from her accountant! nobody will be fooled that she doesn't have time.

God bless America! God bless America people to make right choice! right on day one! Obama!

February 28, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  3. Mk

Hillary needs BIG wins in both Ohio and Texas. The close ones aren't going to help her.

February 28, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  4. Sharon

If you would treat her with ANY KIND OF REPECT, her numbers would be through the roof. Instead you and all of the CNN supposed "political experts" do NOTHING but criticize and insult her. You are so unfair it is incredible.
    You have the NERVE to ask Jack Cafferty, of all people, if he thinks the media is biased AGAINST Hillary Clinton…..OMG He is the BIGGEST FOOL when it comes to covering her. ASK HIM TO GO BACK AND LOOK AT HIS QUESTIONS OVER THE LAST WEEKS AND MONTHS. ANYTIME HE CAN, HE BELITTLES HER AND ASKS QUESTIONS SET UP TO INSULT HER. YOU ARE A TWO BIT NEWS PROGRAM THAT USED TO HAVE UNBIASED COVERAGE. YOU'VE PROVEN THROUGH THIS CAMPAIGN TO BE SELF-SERVING WOMEN-HATING MEN. JACK READS THE "UNBIASED" ANSWERS TO HIS QUESTIONS ON THE AIR…OF COURSE THEY ARE THE ANSWERS "HE" AGREES WITH AND MOST OF THEM IF NOT ALL ARE DISRESPECTFUL AND HATE-FILLED AGAINST HILLARY. I READ ALL OF THEM, TOO….YOU DO NOT REPRESENT THE MAJORITY OF THE BLOGGERS. YOU CATER TO ONLY WHAT YOU THINK AND NO MORE.
    IF SHE'S TOUGH, YOU CRITICIZE, IF SHE IS EMOTIONAL, YOU CRITICIZE, IF SHE DOES NOTHING, YOU CRITICIZE, IF OBAMA INSULTS HER, YOU TAKE IT AS TRUTH, IF SHE DARES BRING UP ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT HIM YOU CALL HER DESPERATE.
    YOU, CNN, ARE BIASED AND YOU KNOW IT.
    JUST WATCH SAT. NIGHT LIVE…..THEY DO REPRESENT WHAT IS HAPPENING IN OUR CULTURE TODAY. GET A GRIP ON YOURSELVES. YOU ARE LOOKING SO FOOLISH.
    YOU LET OBAMA SAY SUCH HATE-FILLED THINGS ABOUT HILLARY AND NEVER ONCE CALL HIM ON IT OR REQUIRE HIM TO BE AT ALL CIVIL. YET SHE CAN ONLY DO WRONG. HE'S PERFECT…WELL TIME WILL TELL HOW PERFECT HE IS AND THAT GOES FOR HIS STUCK-UP WIFE AS WELL….BOY WONT SHE JUST "COME-OUT" FOR ALL OF US TO SEE IN THE FUTURE. IT WON'T BE PRETTY…….

February 28, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  5. Bill Jay

hussein obama refuses to wear an American Flag lapel pin............

hussein obama refuses to place his hand over his heart during
    the National Anthem.

this is offensive to me..................however the people of iraq think it is ok.

February 28, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. Taran, San Diego, CA

What I want to know is the following:

At the debate in Ohio, Hillary brought up the fact that Obama is chairman of a subcommittee that is PARAMOUNT for the progress in Afghanistan. Obama has not convened a single oversight meeting of this subcommittee. I think we can all agree that if it were Hillary, Tim Russert would have pressed the issue, and would have probably asked the following question (to which, I would like to have an answer to):

"Senator Obama, you talk regularly on the campaign trail about Afghanistan and the U.S. being distracted from Afghanistan because of Iraq. You note that you have not held any oversight meetings of this very important subcommittee which you chair because you have been on the campaign trail. This being the case, and you knowing the importance of this subcommittee, why didn't you resign as chair of that subcommittee so that someone with more time could actually lead it and convene the necessary meetings?"

February 28, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  7. David, Gilbert Arizona

Are we trying to say once again that 600 voters, or however large the polling group is, represent the entire voting pool? I thought we had already learned our lesson when the pundents got burned during the Iowa Caucus and New Hampshire primary.

February 28, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  8. Me2

Does everybody think that Obama is all that truthful? Not a shade of deceit or wishy-washy half-truth telling? Come on people! These are politicians, and their profession actually requires them to tiptoe around sensitive issues. I think people are so naive to label one candidate as a liar and the other as someone who always tells the truth. Go for somebody who can get the job done, or at least make the tough decisions, not making them based on if it makes them look good or not.

February 28, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  9. Jamal

Now we know one thing for sure and that is even if hillary wins the popular vote they will still share the delegates or obama might lead

Obama 08'

February 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  10. LYoung

If it's a CNN poll you can bet that it favors Obama. Just more of their silly pro-Obama spin. I guess some Americans are content with the fact that CNN wants to dictate who our next President is going to be. I, for one, am not. I have been watching CNN since 1980 - but once this election is over, they will no longer have me as a viewer.

February 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  11. Anonymous

My prediction for march 4, 2008
    Texas Obama 56 to Clinton 43
    Ohoio Obama 48 to Clinton 41

If Hilary decided to run as independent as she might.

Noverber election prediction
    Obama 60
    Mccain 30
    Nader 5
    Clinton 5

January 2009
    Time to start healing America again.

February 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  12. Charles

The media needs to stop scaring the zealots, bigots and racist of Texas and Ohio in to coming to Senator Clinton's aid. The poor little woman from New York, by way of Arkansas, is being sweep away by an Obama campaign juggernaut. The Clinton's themselves couldn't get better help than, from the ethno-centric media that finds any reason to play on certain Americans bias against people of color. Has Senator Obama's fearsome eleven wins and success scared the media into coming to the rescue for the in Senator Clinton's hour of desparate need?

February 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  13. Stanley, OK

I think the superdelegate rules need to be changed. Hillary and Obama are superdelagates. Does that mean that they, along with others will be voting twice? I don't understand.

February 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  14. bill pike

i'm a texan and i say no more bush/clinton ticket in any state. it is time to clean out washington dc and starting at the top is a good start. you will see other key people who understand the total picture joining obama before tuesday.

February 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  15. CHERYL

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FOR SENATOR HILLARY CLINTON!

AFTER THE LAST DEBATE I AM EVEN MORE SO!

SHE IS SO KNOWLEDGEABLE ON EVERY SUBJECT, AND HAS DETAILED ARTICULATE ANSWERS!

I FEEL VERY SAFE WITH SENATOR CLINTON!!!!

GO SENATOR CLINTON!!!!!!!!

February 28, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  16. Too

It really amazes me when Hillary's supporters come up with the line of "wake up people! Hillary is the true deal and Obama is a fake/fraud/etc" like Obama's supporters are stupid or something. Look, we (the Obama supporters) have been awake throughout this elections, are as informed (or even more informed) as HRC's supporters and we have come to the conlusion that Obama is a better deal, hence our vote for Obama.

If only HRC's supporters would have the humility to accept this, the country can move ahead to the (at this point inevitable) win by Obama.

Go Obama "08 !!!!

February 28, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  17. RealityKing

"Who's winning the popular vote? You know, the votes that the American people cast?" Carla, Albuquerque, NM

Carla, the DNC rules are clearly set up to side step the people's vote if necessary to "solidify the party". Even Dean would've called that a neo-con tactic a few years back. Oh, but wait., the RNC is set up so that the people's vote is the deciding factor, go figure..

February 28, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  18. BL-NYC

Personally...
    I have never been undecided, this is the most important decision that we, as Democrats may ever have to make...
    We are in critical times and we not only need a voice, we need experience...
    Mr. Obama is a fantastic speaker but he has never done a thing for his State, never done a thing for our country, never owned his own business and only had a public office for two years... I can not imagine Mr. Obama dealing with anyone on foreign soil...
    We all have Hope and we all want a change and these are critical times!!!
    Mrs. Clinton is the only one that can start getting us out of this huge mess, Mr. Obama does not have the experience...

February 28, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  19. republic of freedom

WHAT CHANGE DO WE NEED? Thats the question. And the answer is NONE.

February 28, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  20. Di

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIRED of the polls. LET US DECIDED on HOW TO VOTE, and NOT FOLLOW LIKE SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP.

February 28, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  21. anonymous

I cannot believe that everyone is buying into Obama's "CHANGE" I used to think America was one of the smartest countries in the world. And here America is allowing the only candidate who is obviously most qualified to take on the Presidency " HIllary Clinton" is being rediculed left and right. How can anyone trust the man who claims to have all the answers? America is even more gullible than ever...

February 28, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  22. Hilary 08

I believe this campaign will all come down to money. Obama can flood the airways with different messages for different districts because he has the cash to do so. I do not support Obama and political messages via TV have never played a part in my decision on how to vote. I pay attention to the issues and vote based on who I think would be a better person to fill the job. If I were like many of the others out in primary land I might be duped by words but I am truly a thinker and words alone are not enough. Experience and a solid record of fighting for others and a agenda for the future matter more to me than rederick. I don't like arrogance either and Mr. Obama displays arrogance whenever he speaks. In a soft even tone he mocks his opponents and he does it with a smirk not a smile. If he is the Democratic nominee I will not vote and I know many others that will abstain from voting as well. I truly believe in Hillary's message and her agenda for America. I don't mind the anger she displayed over flyers that were inaccurate. I like a fighter because I am a fighter. I lost a high paying supervisory job because I refused to tell those that worked under me that they should not vote for a union. I fought for others and I am a lot poorer because of it but I can look in the mirror and still say I like you to myself. If Hillary loses she will continue to fight for what is right and she will still be able to say I like you to herself as well.

February 28, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  23. Twinkle Toes Mulligan

There is no honest politicians, including Obama.

But, they should be judged by there deeds. Clinton, has worked hard for her constiguents. Her vote on Iraq is moot. She was lied to like the rest of us. And, no doubt, if we had a vote, the majority would have voted to go in and take out Hussain as well.

Think intellectually and Clinton is the better choice. Think with your heart and we get McCain and the nightmare continues.

There is no way Bush should have been re-elected when we knew he lied and broke the law. The country is swirling around in the toilet bowl right now. Sad.

McCain voters. There is no recession.

Yeah, right.

February 28, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  24. KM

Don't be shy Republic Party. His middle name is what it is, unless he
    decides to legally drop it.

February 28, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  25. Gerry

Obama support is still surging in Texas, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont and Pennsylvania. Hillary's support is showing serious signs of collapse in all areas.

Obama is getting super delegate and newspaper endoresements faster than CNN can keep up with.

George Bush attacking him today is better than any of the endorsements. Thank you GWB.

February 28, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |