February 28th, 2008

Polls show Clinton, Obama in tight race in Texas

Sens. Obama and Clinton greet the audience before last weeks CNN debate.
Sens. Obama and Clinton greet the audience before last weeks CNN debate.

(CNN) – Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are in a tight race in Texas, according to a “poll of polls” calculated by CNN on Thursday.

An average of three polls of likely Democratic voters has Sen. Barack Obama at 48 percent and Sen. Hillary Clinton at 45 percent. Seven percent were unsure.

The average also shows Sen. John McCain, the presumptive GOP nominee, holding a nearly 20-point lead over former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee among likely Republican primary voters. McCain has 53 percent to Huckabee's 34 percent, and Texas Rep. Ron Paul has 9 percent. Four percent were unsure.

Texas voters will be joined by those in Ohio, Vermont and Rhode Island when they head to the polls on March 4. With Obama surging into the lead on 11 straight wins since Super Tuesday, Clinton's supporters admit that she must do well in Texas and Ohio if she is continue to battle for the nomination.

CNN's Texas poll of polls results were calculated using three surveys: a Belo/Public Strategies poll conducted February 24-25, an American Research Group poll conducted February 23-24, and a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll conducted February 22-24.

Earlier, an American Research Group poll of likely Democratic voters on February 13-14 showed Obama ahead, 48-42, with 10 percent undecided. A CNN poll taken between February 14-17 showed Clinton ahead, 50-48.

–CNN.com Senior Political Producer Scott Anderson

1. Robert (currently) from CT

As a Texas native, I agree with Tony from MD. I support Obama, respect McCain, and am really bummed out by the idea of Billary back in charge. I just think her divisive and negative approach will further divide our country. That would be bad for America whether I agree with her specific policies or not.

For what little it is worth, I will say that in hometown of Austin, my democratic and republican family/friends are enthusiastic about Obama. Most of them are planning on caucusing for the first time ever because they feel that strongly about it.

February 28, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  2. RCM

Here we go again. Clinton starts to take a lead and people start to wake up and the media takes over claiming Obama the winner! I'm sick of these polls... if we get Obama will Oprah be his running mate? I simply can't believe that we are selecting inexperince over an intelligent, hardworking, devoted woman. Oh, I get it.... it's because she's a woman.

February 28, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. Sasha

BL-NYC,

First of all, Barack has done more for his state than you give hime credit! Are you a Illinois rseident? No, I did not think so........... What has Hilary done for your state? Besides buy an enormous house in Westchester and skipping around NY claiming to have Jewish heritage! Oh, do not let me forgot, she sported a Yankees cap a couple of times.............give me a break! Look at his senate page, READ! Now , I understand that some bloggers like yourself refrain from the disclipline, but I encourage you to read and look at all of the bills he has fought for while in the senate and at the state level (which he was in for many years). I am so tired of Hilary supporters going negative! What will these do for the party? It will allow John McCain to become president! Democrats make me sick!

February 28, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  4. Retta Crawford St Louis

SHOW ME TEXAS FOR HILLARY 08...Get your friends to the polls and OHIO you can do it to!!!!I agree Ann Richard woukld be Campaigning her Heart for Hillary and she was a trailblazer who we all miss and love so dearly. Do it for Ann !!!!HillaryClinton.com Join Us today and call all the states that haven't voted yet. Go to your caucus and be that speciall delegate from your home state.

HillaryClinton.com Join,Volunteer and contribute to HISTORY..........

February 28, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  5. Sasha

Mad in Texas,

I feel for you and your son! Plenty of people are complainging, so get your head out of the sand:-)

February 28, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  6. tony

people need to wake up and see HILLARY must get the nod or the US
    is in bigger trouble if obama get's to the white house...VOTE HILLARY

February 28, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  7. lm

Obama opposed Illinois' Born Alive Infant Protection Act, which made it unlawful to kill a child once it was already out of the womb.

February 28, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  8. rich

Hillary is toast..plain and simple. I dont believe she will be able to win in Texas and Ohio by any margin necessary to give her the lead or catch up with Obama.

February 28, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  9. Aaron

You can look at Hillary and clearly see the woman is backed up in one of two ways or both. Either she's not getting any or needs more fiber.

February 28, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  10. Sonya, NJ

Nobody is completely honest, but Hillary will be dishonest from day one. She will blame everybody, as you have already seen, and she will have temper tantrums, when she doesn't get her way. She is too unstable for me, and I will never vote for her.

America,
    The people voting for Hillary don't care about honesty or integriy, but it reflects every decision you make. George Bush supporters did not care about intelligence, and look where that has gotten us.

I don't care who you vote for as long as it is not Hillary. If you do, it will be a continuation of the lies, scandals and misdeeds. The only difference is, we have to focus on the war, not Hillary's drama.

February 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  11. F

The momentum is on Obama's side. Texas will be her graveyard.

February 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  12. READ ON

Billary's supporters seem upset, specially when they write the same things over and over again in capital letters. Weknow that Hillary was going to use whatever she can to get to whatever she wants. Her offensive tactics, similar to those of the far right... yes, compare those and you will see she is not much different from Rush and his followers......
    interesting I find it.

February 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  13. CNN Bias

Go Hillary!

February 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  14. Kareem Talib

The more people see of this women the less people seem to like her. How ugly can she make this race get? Is she still a democrat? Did anybody check? She might as well join McCain and Bush in all their attacks and side with that old dying or deadpart of Washington and all its lobbiest THIS IS THE PAST VS THE FUTURE ...When you go apply for a job yes the younger generation is perferred over experience..

February 28, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  15. Dave Froyalde/Washington

My fellow Hillary Clinton supporters let us ignore the polls. The polling business is being conducted with their own biases. As I watched the past two democratic debates, Senator Obama failed to convince me that he is ready to be the next president of the United States. Most of his answers to the questions were just enhancments of Hillary Clintons answers.

February 28, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  16. dem08

WOO-HOO TEXAS AND OHIO WILL VOTE FOR HILLARY !

GO HILLARY!

WE WILL DELIVER A VICTORY FOR HILLARY ON TUESDAY !

I CAN PROUDLY SAY THAT I DONATED TO THE 35 MILLION DOLLARS CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTION IN FEB. AND WILL CONTINUE EVERY WEEK! THANK YOU ALL AND KEEP DONATING TO HILLARY'S CAMPAIGN. SHE NEEDS US MORE THAN EVER, JUST LIKE WE NEED HER MORE THAN EVER.

February 28, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  17. Gregory

To Mad in Texas,

Maybe 9/11 wouldn't have happened if your fellow Texan hadn't stolen and election then immediately went on a 3 month vacation. What President goes on vacation within his first six months on the job. What if he had been diligent and on point and actually read intelligence reports about the threat of terrorists using planes against the US. Did you say he's a racist? Are you serious? His mother is white, he was raised by white grandparents........... get a life.

Knowone, not even you, could do as much damage as Bush has in the last seven years.

How could anyone think Hillary is a good option for running this country. She can't run a campaign with a consistent theme.

Thank you for your years of service to this country as well as your families, but please keep your ignorance confined to your home.

Barack '08

February 28, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  18. Sasha

If Hilary loses it is because of her negative campaining and her angry supporters! Listen, anger and hatred is not the answer! Does anyone see what is going on here? This is incredibly damaging and disgraceful. I am an independent and strong supporter fo anyone who will get the job done. I have obsessed over these primaries for months, constantly reading each of the candidates senate pages and campaign pages! One morning, it finally registered! Hilary has been serving this country for 35 years right? what changes has she made? She has gone along with the status quo for decades to achieve her personal goals! She voted for this war, voted present on plenty of issues, voted for horrible bills that benefit big business (ie., insurance companies)! Please tell me specifically what she has done to change the the tactics of the republicans? I am eager to hear the answer, because I have failed to find such evidence in my long night sof reading the issues.................. SHE IS WASHINGTON! I want something different!

February 28, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  19. Carolee in Seattle

I just want to say that I am behind you 100% Hillary. You can do it. It's time America woke up and realized NO for BHO and YES YES for Hillary. GO HILLARY

February 28, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  20. Kareem Talib

Mr Texas, al queda is everywhere, whoooo ...No serious, the Iraqi people need to stand up for themselves as a country as a nation of people. You know they need someone like Barrack go over there to rally them up and get them to take back their counrty from the terrorist. They need a little motivation and stimulation just as the economy does.

February 28, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  21. Jackie

CNN called the race in Wisconsin with only about 3% of the vote in. Say no to polls, pundits and those that choose to manipulate or make the news before they report it.

I live in Texas....I always lie to pollsters. Best to leave them baffled and enjoy the surprise.

February 28, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  22. yemiray

CLINTON= All husband's work and record and lots of wrong costly decisions
    OBAMA= A real change we can believe in, and a leader connected to the heartbeat of american people

February 28, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  23. VIRGINIA

Pls dont be swayed by rhetorics. Do a little research and decide.
    You have everything on your fingertips like google. Please do it so you wont regret.
    I would like to share this:

Century 10 Quatrain 78 says

"A soldier of fortune with twisted tongue
    will come to the sanctuary of the gods,
    He will open the door to heretics
    and raise up the Church to militant."

February 28, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  24. lm

Obama... we simply looking at a man with a sharp tongue that will only lead us to disaster.
    Republicans want Obama to win... he will be easily debated and torn to shreads. I think there is more to this man we do not know about.
    Everyone knows Clinton........... she has nothing to hide while no one I know knew Obama's name till this election started.
    People are not demanding enough answers from him.
    Why did he stop talking to the press for the next week?
    Sounds like he just wanted to keep his mouth shut till the primary election next week because it would hurt his votes.

February 28, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  25. Dave

McCain will win in November if Hillary is the candidate. Bottom line is that most voters are simply tired of the Bush/Clinton dynasties.

Most independents will vote McCain just for a change.

February 28, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |