February 29th, 2008

Clinton raises the stakes in new ad

Clinton launched a tough new ad Friday.
Clinton launched a tough new ad Friday.

(CNN) - The Democratic White House hopefuls took to the airwaves Friday to battle over national security credentials, with Hillary Clinton’s campaign releasing a tough new ad that pegged her as the presidential candidate best-prepared to take on foreign crises, and Barack Obama’s team responding with the re-release of a spot that painted him as the White House hopeful with the best judgment to be commander-in-chief.

“It’s 3 a.m. and your children are safe and asleep. But there’s a phone in the White House, and it’s ringing. Something’s happened in the world,” says the announcer in the 30-second Clinton spot, which is set begin running in Texas Friday. A phone rings insistently over images of sleeping children.

“Your vote will decide who answers the call. Whether it’s someone who already knows the world’s leaders, knows the military. Someone tested and ready to lead in a dangerous world.

“It’s 3 a.m. and your children are safe and asleep. Who do you want answering the phone?”

The Clinton campaign said the new ad - titled “Children” - is meant to make voters ponder “who they want in the White House during a crisis.”

Within roughly an hour of the ad’s debut, the Obama campaign announced that it was re-releasing “Gulf,” a 30-second spot that first ran prior to the Iowa caucuses. The ad features retired Air Force Gen. Merrill McPeak, a former combat pilot who was the service’s highest-ranking uniformed officer during the first Gulf War.

“As a combat pilot and Air Force chief during Desert Storm, lives depended on the judgments I made,” McPeak says in the spot. “And judgment is what we need from our next commander in chief. Barack Obama opposed this war in Iraq from the start, showing insight and courage others did not.”

McPeak backed John Kerry in the 2004 presidential race.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Stephen

Very true, do we really want the Obamateur in the white house?

February 29, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  2. William B. lewis

Obama thank you very much.

February 29, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  3. P Graber

I am certain I want Hillary Clinton to respond to that phone call as my grandchildren are sleeping. Hillary can see the whole picture, has the knowledge, experience, and heart to lead our country.

The United States of America will be safe in her hands.

February 29, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  4. Wayne, Greenville TX

I want Barack Obama to answer that phone.

February 29, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  5. TXnurse4obama

I want Barack to answer the phone

February 29, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  6. Mike

In the event of a "crisis," it should be Hillary who answers that call.
    "Hello,..." EXPERIENCE here.

Hillary 08!!!

February 29, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  7. Terrance

A now she resorts to fear...typical.

February 29, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  8. Joan

Sheer desperation.

Clinton's campaign gets uglier and uglier as it goes down.

For the good of the party, end this on March 4th! The logner Clinton hangs in there, with no chance of victory, but just to tear down and smear the eventual nominee, she is aiding the GOP.

Hillary, do the RIGHT thing!! Please end this now!

February 29, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  9. Elizabeth

Poor Poor Hillary and Poor Poor Bill!

They are so desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neither of them has good judgement.

February 29, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  10. Brian

The Republicans are speaking of the "surge" like that forgives the decision to be there in the first place! For those who are capable of remembering, the surge would not have been something we had to resort to if we had not invaded Irag in the first place. POOR DECISION that finally find a solution are no less a Poor Decision.

February 29, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  11. HSNP

It's easy to oppose a war when you're in the Illinois legislature with no responsibility or knowledge about it.

It's time to play hardball. GO HILLARY!!!

February 29, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  12. Greg, NY

I dunno, I think you without makeup on at 3 a.m. is more scary than anything that can be on the other side of that phone call...

February 29, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  13. Trev

Nobody has listened to her sophisticated foreign policy proposals. They are better, but people don't care. So, she decided to kick it up and try to hit people where they live. Some people will not like it. However, it should at least wake-up some people. I like Obama, but I want Hillary taking that call. Beyond all the personal attacks that the anti-Hillary group likes to level, I bet a lot of other people out there want Hillary to take that call as well.

February 29, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  14. RO

This Clinton ad sure sounds a lot like something the RNC would run.

Why did Hillary decide to steal the "Tested and Ready" line from Rudy? If it didn't work on the Republican side, how is it going to work with Dems?

The fear card won't be bought by the people again. "Save your children, vote for Hillary" ... ridiculous. Hillary should be taking time to show us how new, progressive ideas are the solution, rather tha n telling us to be worried about our children dying in some attack.

February 29, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  15. Mike Orlando, FL

I would like Hilary to answer the call. She's ready!

February 29, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  16. spfd chick

This is really an ad. that would be great for John McCain. When I first saw it I thought of John McCain immediately. Even when I saw Sen. Clinton answering the phone, I actually thought that she was making the call ... to John McCain! This ad will not help her IMO because she is giving free advertisement for the republican candidate.

February 29, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  17. Mary

There's no doubt in my mind that Hillary is the better qualified candidate on foreign policy. I believe that Obama has good intentions but we're in too much trouble to think that we can
    all just sit down and break bread together. We can thank the current administration for that.
    I still say Clinton/Obam is a team that would be quite the force to reckon with.

February 29, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  18. Letha, Sioux Falls, SD

What bunk! When are people going to realize Obama may have opposed the war but he was not in office to face that vote. He as in Chicago and had no voice to stop it. He has voted every time to support Bush and the war he created.

February 29, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  19. Ken, Austin TX

Hillary, must you REALLY ask who I want answering the phone? Well, just to give you a hint...it's not YOU!

February 29, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  20. Word on the street

Wow.. she will be up at night just to take that Phone call...??? I would want my President to sleep well so he could make sound judgements in the morning...

Agian, why would I call White House at 3am when my Children are safe and sleeping...?

February 29, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  21. California Voter

It's simple:

Hillary Clinton is running the same campaign George Bush has used to subjugate America the past 8 years. Fear, Fear, Fear. In the corporate world, it's known as FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt). This is Rovian at its worst.

Texas, Ohio, Vermont, and Rhode Island: please tell this campaign America is above these tactics and that we can no longer be hoodwinked it voting for someone because they try to scare us.

February 29, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  22. Matthew Erwich

This is a great add! And my answer is that I want it to be President Obama in the White House to pick up the phone at 3 A.M. when there is a crisis somewhere in the world. Hillary acts schizophrenic during the day and early evening hours as it is, I can't even imagine how moody she would be at 3 P.M. Good Lord protect us from her mood swings. Hillary will do anything to get to the power. And why would I believe someone whose husband looked at the nation in the eye and told us that he didn't have any relationship with "that" woman when in fact it was proven to be a lie?

February 29, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  23. Mom in PA

Shame on you Hillary!!!!!!!!! As a mom, I am tried of having politicans use my children to try to scare me into supporting them. My choice is HOPE! OBAMA 2008!

February 29, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  24. Harry

Who wants a Clinton in charge in a real crisis situation, she couldn't even avoid a marriage crisis, she is the last person I want in charge if a phone rings at the White House. Sorry Hillary, but no.

February 29, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  25. Jan

no doubt in my mind-Hilary Clinton-having obama on that phone reminds one of Jimmy Carter and his "love your enenies" policy-never mind that they are evil and will only tell you what they want you to hear-then stab you in the back. American Idols do not a President make–even a cute one who says he looks good in both boxers and
    regular skivies!