February 29th, 2008

Clinton raises the stakes in new ad

Clinton launched a tough new ad Friday.
Clinton launched a tough new ad Friday.

(CNN) - The Democratic White House hopefuls took to the airwaves Friday to battle over national security credentials, with Hillary Clinton’s campaign releasing a tough new ad that pegged her as the presidential candidate best-prepared to take on foreign crises, and Barack Obama’s team responding with the re-release of a spot that painted him as the White House hopeful with the best judgment to be commander-in-chief.

“It’s 3 a.m. and your children are safe and asleep. But there’s a phone in the White House, and it’s ringing. Something’s happened in the world,” says the announcer in the 30-second Clinton spot, which is set begin running in Texas Friday. A phone rings insistently over images of sleeping children.

“Your vote will decide who answers the call. Whether it’s someone who already knows the world’s leaders, knows the military. Someone tested and ready to lead in a dangerous world.

“It’s 3 a.m. and your children are safe and asleep. Who do you want answering the phone?”

The Clinton campaign said the new ad - titled “Children” - is meant to make voters ponder “who they want in the White House during a crisis.”

Within roughly an hour of the ad’s debut, the Obama campaign announced that it was re-releasing “Gulf,” a 30-second spot that first ran prior to the Iowa caucuses. The ad features retired Air Force Gen. Merrill McPeak, a former combat pilot who was the service’s highest-ranking uniformed officer during the first Gulf War.

“As a combat pilot and Air Force chief during Desert Storm, lives depended on the judgments I made,” McPeak says in the spot. “And judgment is what we need from our next commander in chief. Barack Obama opposed this war in Iraq from the start, showing insight and courage others did not.”

McPeak backed John Kerry in the 2004 presidential race.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. needed tobesaid

HIllary – keep on hitting hard. Don't give up – this country needs you.

February 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  2. SK

I will want Obama – if it is Rezko calling at 3am, if not I want Hillary.

February 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  3. Nick

What this shows is while Clinton is creating a new ad, Obama already had one, and is re-airing it.

Clinton had to create a new ad that she feels works.
    Obama already had an ad that he feels works.

She's constantly trailing in the advertising department to him.

February 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  4. Stacy Clarks, Texas

I think I would want someone who spoke out against the Iraq war than someone who DID NOT READ THE ENTIRE REPORT BEFORE SENDING OUR KIDS TO WAR!!!!

I think I will want Barak to answer that phone!! He got it right with the war in Iraq, and he qill get it right in the future

Hopefully, Hillary will be there to lend her support, because that is what this party is about, supporting eachother!!

STOP THE HATE, VOTE BARAK 08!!!!!

February 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  5. MOSIAH

CAN YOU IMAGINE IF HILLARY WAS IN THE WHITE HOUSE? WHOEVER IS SLEEPING NEXT TO BILL WOULD ANSWER......

February 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  6. Undecided

This sounds like an ad McCain can run against Hillary: he not only knows the military, he is from the military. So unless Hillary is ready to flip-flop and run as an Obama against McCain, her reasoning makes no sense.

February 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  7. jj

Well, I figure if it's Obama who answers, then it will be a month or so before anyhing is done because he will have to hand it off to someone who knows what in the heck to do because he just knows how to make speaches and promises, he aven admitted that he's not someone who follows thru. He turns it over to someone else. .

February 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  8. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Let's see, which Hillary would I want to answer the phone. How about the Hillary that answers the phone and says you got the wrong number, call President Barack Obama.

February 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  9. I.D.

Hillary can't pick up now... She's too busy crying.

February 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  10. Pat

Good news for Republicans. John McCaqin is the only person qualified to answer that phone at 3:00am. None of the others are, so I'll only feel safe if he's the President in the circumstance.

11. Stef

I want Hillary to answer it as a black man I prefer a yes/no person to answer the phone then a present person Obama is good but not that good alot of you want change ,but when you get it will you really accept it? answer : no

cause america is so blind to the inspiration speaker talk they forgot when are still in a state of emergency people

12. max

at 3AM she's wondering where bill is ...

13. Lucky

I want Hillary to answer the phone.. Hillary 08

14. Patty Don't

Honestly at this point I'm the 1 insulted. How stupid does Hillary really think we are. And I'm really starting to think she is comparing notes with the Republicans. A lot of people say "Rovian Tactics" and "Republican Playbook" but all this fear-mongering is straight up GOP for real. People talk about how Obama (who i support whole heartedly btw) is a closet Muslim and is hell bent on destroying the country. Has anyone ever thought that maybe Hillary is a closet Republican and thats why her campaign sounds just like John McCain's?

15. Mike D

I would want the person who answers the phone in a crisis to be cool, calm, and show good judgement. hillary shows none of this when her own campaign is in somewhat of a crisis.

16. Sharon

ABC I love your comment.

This is right up there with the endorsement from the dead govenor Ann Richards.

Any word on how RI and Vermont are doing, or aren't they states anymore?

17. Stef

I want Hillary to answer it .......as a black man I prefer a yes/no person to answer the phone then a present person Obama is good but not that good alot of you want change ,but when you get it will you really accept it? answer : no

18. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

So now Hillary resorts to BUSH-like scare tactics??? Is she desperate or what?

OBAMA '08

19. Mike

I most certainly do not want a person answering the phone who thinks they can make the terrible mistake and then take it back after they have made it. I want the person who can make the right call from the jump.

Obama 08

20. Bob, Kentucky

Voting to go to war with a country that had nothing to do with attacking us created a brand new home for terrorists in Iraq and made us far less safe. And Hillary, you made that decision when your were wide awake – not at 3:00 a.m. in the morning.

Playing upon our fears to get elected reeks of George Bush, Dick Cheney, and Karl Rove; shame on you, Hillary.

21. RyanB

Ugh. I'm so sick of being scared into making decisions. Is HRC really a democrat? Or did Rove pen this ad for her himself.

I'd want Obama to answer the call. Hands down.

22. Mike

I want Barack to answer the phone and talk to his new friend Ahmadenijad about the tea-party that they held the week before in the White House. Right....

February 29, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  23. susan

This is proof, "Word on the Street doesn't "understand the ad any more than we understand what Obama is all about. Nor do you understand the responsibilities of the President any more than Obama does. I want my president to get up when that phone rings @ anytime day or nite . Calls at 3:30 in the morning usually mean one thing. I want that president to be able to make decisions at what ever time those calls come in. Believe me no president is waiting for a phone call from you
    I hope people choose wisely

February 29, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  24. Shun

This is what Hillary is spending that 35 million on?

Fear?

She is turning your donations into FEAR.

You guys are paying to be scared?

The only people this appeals to his her hardcore base... she can't expand past that.

February 29, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  25. Joe

Clinton can waste her money airing all the ads she wants, but the fact is Barack Obama is the only candidate in either party that is qualified to handle a foreign crisis. George Bush, John McCain, and Hilary Clinton all have obstinant and arrogant attitudes towards listening to anyone other than themselves. They are also short tempered. In addition, all 3 are stubborn and at times irrational. We do not need this type of attitude from our leaders. Notice that Barack Obama is always calm, in control, and rational even when he's being attacked or disagreed with. The sooner George Bush is out of the White House, and Barack Obama is elected President, the sooner this country will begin moving forward and regain lost respect with the rest of the world! Obama for President!

February 29, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |