February 29th, 2008

Clinton tested in Texas, where it all began in '72

Hillary and Bill Clinton worked on George McGovern's 1972 campaign in Texas before they wed in 1975.

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - Garry Mauro will never forget that night in 1972 when he says Bill Clinton and Hillary Rodham ignored the post-election party surrounding them, instead preferring to huddle in a corner and talk about changing the future.

The young then-unmarried couple, attending Yale Law, weren't interested in letting off steam with their Democratic colleagues in Austin, Texas, according to Mauro, who's now a strategist with Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign.

The three were among a group of Young Turk Democrats working that summer to register voters in Texas. The Clintons had just started dating, said Mauro, who years later became Texas land commissioner. "They obviously had a lot of respect for each other, and they would spend hours talking to each other."

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. Texican

Great pictue. I remember when I had hair like that. I also remember how McGovern went down to defeat when the silent majority spoke at the polls. History repeats itself. Same scenario, the anit-war candidates speaking loudly and the silent majority just waiting to crush them in November. Go MCCain. No Surrender to terrorists.

February 29, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  2. Frank

Well, today she does not see as much action (if any) as his girl friends do. He has been cheating all his life with other women – to be fair, I am not sure if you can call it 'cheating' when your wife is fine with it for some reason.

February 29, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  3. JK

What a great picture CNN!

February 29, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  4. adam

Amazing to me that Clinton fans can claim media bias against her with this type of puff piece. Yes, the media asks her tough questions some times. They ask Obama tough questions too. Lets see Hillary answer that question in South Carolina about Bill being the first "black" president.
    Fairness in the media, okay, I am all for it. Stop calling Hillary cold and shrill and lets have a story about how Obama has spent decades making actual differences in peoples lives after their jobs are shipped overseas. While Hillary has been working on Campaigns and FAILED health care initiatives, Obama has been working hard to bring needed changes. Job centers to neighborhoods that need them, health care to children and veterans.

February 29, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  5. Dee

History repeats..

Clinton was new and an agent for "change" in the 90s. he was against the experienced "Bush Sr" one...She won and did well for the country...

Obama is new and an agent for "change" in the 00s. he is against the experienced ones. He will win and do well for the country.

I endorse Obama..:-0

February 29, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  6. Brian

And soon it will all be exactly that... history.

Thanks for playing, Hillary!

February 29, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  7. Dee

History repeats..

Clinton was new and an agent for "change" in the 90s. he was against the experienced "Bush Sr" one…He won and did well for the country…

I endorse Obama..:-0

February 29, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  8. ChicoSez

How will the Obamabots spin this story negatively? The Clinton's have been working for the good of the party for over 40 years and they get trashed by a bunch of newbes and first time voters. My first campaign was for Gen McCarthy in '68 and I've been an active Dem ever since but because of the terrible things said about the entire Clinton family by the Obama backers, I'll be staying home if Obama gets the nomination. No donations, no volunteering and no downtickets votes. You should have thought about needing the Hillary supporters, about 40-51% of the dem party, before you were so bleeding rude to us. Hillary in 2012

February 29, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  9. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Hillary's "I and I and I" speeches are getting pretty darn boring. They reminded me of a seminar where the speaker used the "I" so much I starting laughing and those around me asked, we must have been thinking the same thing. And yes we were, that same thing was since "I" can do this and "I" can do that, then why are we sitting here listening to you, go it alone. Vote Obama.

February 29, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  10. clarity

What was Obama doing in 75...?
    I think we all know the anwer to that question. LOL!

Finally a positive story about Clinton on CNN.

February 29, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  11. kab

I see Obama as Bill Clinton..Remember that young man with no more experienced than then President Bush...how he won American heart and became the President.

Obama is repeating Clinton's story. Bill was 46 and Obama is 46. I am surprised how Bill has not recognized Obama's power.

February 29, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. clarity

Oups... I mean what was Obama doing in 72...?
    We know the answer to that question too. LOL!

February 29, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. aware

Hillary the HOPE of 08

We will overcome! 🙂

February 29, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. jk

what a nice and long story it hends here "what goes round comes round

February 29, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  15. cjp

it is 3 am in the white house president Clinton answers This is your president
    Caller say mrs. Presiident just hold the line

Five minutes later caller says Mrs president are you still holding the line

President says yes i told you I will answer the phone at 3 am

caller Mrs President you better drop the line theres a train coming

February 29, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  16. HSHSHSHS

who cares.

February 29, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. JB

Geez, that was 1972. I was a Senior in high school.

The peace-love generation was ending. The radicals were getting jobs.
    Bill and Hillary should move on and deal with the world as it is...their glory days are gone.

February 29, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  18. Brad, Obamaha NE

i think its awesome that it will end where it began. kinda like coming full circle.

February 29, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  19. Ito, Yokosuka Japan

Good grief...

I'm sure she started out sincere...but along the way, she lost her soul...she became a cold and bitter and driven by a need to feed her ego, a craving for power, and starved for attention.

At some point she determined her own needs outweighed the needs of the many.

February 29, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  20. pam,s.c.

who cares. i denounce and reject this. thank you pam hussein

February 29, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  21. OBAMA 08

I REALLY LIKE THAT PICTURE. WHERE ARE THE OTHER LADIES ? WHAT KIND OF CREDIBILITY DOES THAT GIVE HER. "I MADE OUT WITH BILL, SO I'M QUALIFIED TO BE PRESIDENT'. SO DID MORE THAN A FEW OTHERS AND NO, THAT IS NOT A QUALIFICATION FOR THE PRESIDENCY OF THE MOST POWERFUL COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. THE DNC NEEDS TO GET HER OUT NOW!!!!!

February 29, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  22. Clinton Narrative Network

Where is the news in this? I don't get it. This is just part of her biography. This is why I recently switched to msnbc.

February 29, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  23. Conan

I'm diggin the fros!!!

February 29, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  24. Vig

The Clinton's have a political history. Obama has Oprah. Obama always impressed me as superficial. Movement or no movement – Hillary needs to run this country.

February 29, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  25. Vote Responsibly08

Texans, don't be fooled. Hillary is the best for our country!

Obama will bring us dispair! Nice words and pretty speaches are not going to bring us back from a falling economy on the verge of a recession. Not going to bring us back our jobs and homes.
    She can! lets give Hillary a chance to be the best presient of our time.

We will make History Together!

Obama will only bring us dispair! Hillary will bring our nation back to global respect and a healthy economy!
    Vote for Hillary!!