February 29th, 2008

Clinton tested in Texas, where it all began in '72

Hillary and Bill Clinton worked on George McGovern's 1972 campaign in Texas before they wed in 1975.

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - Garry Mauro will never forget that night in 1972 when he says Bill Clinton and Hillary Rodham ignored the post-election party surrounding them, instead preferring to huddle in a corner and talk about changing the future.

The young then-unmarried couple, attending Yale Law, weren't interested in letting off steam with their Democratic colleagues in Austin, Texas, according to Mauro, who's now a strategist with Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign.

The three were among a group of Young Turk Democrats working that summer to register voters in Texas. The Clintons had just started dating, said Mauro, who years later became Texas land commissioner. "They obviously had a lot of respect for each other, and they would spend hours talking to each other."

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. Pat M PEI Canada

Interesting.... but interesting would be
    WHERE DID BILL CLINTON'S OHIO LIVE VIDEO GO?
    Obama's, McCain's and every other subject on the list
    NO BILL CLINTON????????????

February 29, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. Eric S

So adorable! Go Hillary!

February 29, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  3. George in OH

That is so sweet! Texas, delivers a victory for Clintons!

February 29, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  4. JERRY

BUTCH AND SUNDANCE...THE EARLY YEARS

February 29, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  5. Gretchen

Wow! You actually wrote something fairly nice, or at least not insulting, about Hillary Clinton. I'm shocked. Maybe you could do it again sometime?

February 29, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. Nando, Florida

I bet Bill is Lying to her in that Picture.

February 29, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  7. Aussie Greg

And now the end is near.....

February 29, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  8. Bob

Original last paragraph, cut for length:

Smiling as he gazed at the reminder of the past, Mauro suddenly squinted at the photograph. "Hey, wait a minute," he said. "That's not Hillary."

February 29, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  9. Kevin

How quickly that respect would change.

February 29, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  10. Arkansas Undertaker

Thats so sweet! But she still needs to bow out gracefully. She is done for in this election. Unless she wants to run on the ticket with Obama as VP.

That would be great! Obama/Clinton 08!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Lord! Thats sounds great.

February 29, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  11. Katie

Clinton: Your time is up. You need to go back to New York and stop bothering this country.

February 29, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  12. Woodgate

AH YES FREE ADVERTISING FOR CLINTON....

February 29, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  13. Dave. San Diego, CA

Did Bill realize in 2004 that he would be campaigning for Barack Obama?

"One of Clinton's laws of politics is this: If one candidate's trying to scare you, and the other one's trying to get you to think; if one candidate's appealing to your fears, and the other one's appealing to your hopes; you better vote for the person who wants you to think and hope."
    -Bill Clinton, 2004

February 29, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  14. Franky

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Look at Hillary and Bill! Man, they look so young! WOW!!!

You know, they probably do have a special bond. Man, just look how young they look! Times just move fast! Wow..........

February 29, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  15. donb

The arcticle says:

"in 1972 Bill Clinton and Hillary Rodham ignored the post-election party surrounding them, instead preferring to huddle in a corner and talk about changing the future."

At that time in 1972, I was "huddled around a hydraulic winch control" in a CH-53D Sea Stallion sweeping mines in Haiphong Harbor (North Vietnam for those you Berkeley) so that our POWs (including John McCain) could come home. Is this article supposed to impress me with the length of time the Clintons have been around? Hey, Hillary, I want John McCain to answer that 3Am Phone call, not you or Obama, or any democrat for that matter.

February 29, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  16. C.H., Texas

Go Hillary! I already voted for you. And I will do it again after the polls have closed down here in South Texas (Rio Grande Valley). The Obama campaign should be ashamed of themselves for going after the young naive voter's. At the end of the day they go back to their parent's home who are the one's paying for the all the bills! Even my 15yr old son has more common sense than all those people that are buying into the Obama hype. He told me "Right now I see what you and my dad are going through trying to make ends meet. I don't understand how all these people can trust someone with no experience to run this country. When I get my college degree, a good paying job, start paying my OWN bills (house, car, light, gas, etc) and if I'm married with kids then I will be ready to vote, I will be walking in your all's shoes. Right now I just want to enjoy being young". God bless my son's heart, I just wish more of the young kids would open their eyes and think like my son. May God bless Hillary!

February 29, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  17. Mimi Penaranda

this picture paints a thousand words for me! whatever you say about Bill Clinton, he loves Hillary and there is nothing the media or her detractors can do or say about that! that is the reason why Bill is so fierce in fighting for her. I would do exactly the same to fight for my family!!!

Go Hillary Rodham Clinton in 2008!!!

February 29, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  18. wow

Rumor has it that Hillary Clinton has threatened to sue the Texas Democratic Party over the elections rules...

The bus has lost ALL of its wheels...

February 29, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  19. Matt Williams

This is not particularly relevant to this article, but I just watched President Bill Clinton address the issue of experience, relating it to Magic Johnson's basketball metaphor. Magic said that experience gave him the ability to deal with pressure situations....yeah, well, Magic Johnson also won the NBA title his rookie season without the help of Kareem Abdul Jabbar (due to injury), so he was born to handle pressure situations...the same way Barack Obama will be able to handle pressure situations without decades of experience in Washington.

February 29, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  20. Jon

Very low unemployment (below 4%)
    Budget surplus
    Secure America

Bill, you did a SUPER job as our President. If Hillary is even half as successful as you were, we will be much better off than we are today.

I especially urge every man from TX, OH, PA, RI and other states, to seriously consider voting for Hillary. Let us bring the CLINTON MAGIC back.

February 29, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  21. Cathy

I guess you can print nice stories now that you are predicting her to loose.

February 29, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  22. Allison Marie

Love the couple and love Hillary. We are with you to the end. I will only vote for Clinton.

Clinton 08/12

Go Hillary we love you!

February 29, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  23. wild schield

February 29, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  24. Tati

seriously CNN?

February 29, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  25. LIz in ATL

....but they still don't get it!!! Bush, Clinton, Bush...Clinton? NO! CHANGE!...that's why....Change the mix ....change...change...change.... = not another Bush, not another Clinton ....we're moving on! CHANGE!!!

OBAMA RULES!!!