February 29th, 2008

McCain raises $12 million in February

(CNN) – Likely Republican presidential nominee John McCain raised a little over $12 million in February, two campaign sources tell CNN's John King.

That compares to the $35 million the Clinton campaign has reported raising in the same time period. Obama's campaign has not said how much it raised in February, but has indicated it is significantly more than Clinton's total.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Henry Hardcawber

CNN, you spelt February wrong.

February 29, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  2. Chris, Middletown, CT

Heres the deal....Clinton lent the campaign 5 million of her own money to garner sympathy....and for some weak pathetic souls...it worked...and they gave....

February 29, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  3. Kathryn Irby

John McCain can raise trillions of dollars, and his supporters will indeed have wasted ever penny of their money, because he will not become the next President of the United States of America, as Barack Obama will!

Kathryn Irby
    Metairie, LA

February 29, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  4. A REAL American

Wait a second.... Obama outraised everyone by a long shot, but I thought he was ABOVE special interests and money?

The greatest irony I see, though, is the hypocrisy of all the liberals around here- I always hear you folks bash Republicans as the "wealthy, corporate" party, so how can you Democrats explain this inconsistency? I'm waiting.... (crickets chirping)

February 29, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  5. Thomas

He will get MUCH MUCH more money when the Hillary supporters lash out at the DNC by electing McCane. FL for McCane, MI for McCane, Hillary Supporters for McCane, Women for McCane, Military for McCane... Cult for Obama

No BO in our white house it already stinks

February 29, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. billylee8

Why not also put up the fact that Ron Paul raised $6 million in ONE day?

February 29, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  7. michaelangelo

Here is what everything comes down to:

Trust and Integrity.

Hillary got neither.

February 29, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  8. Michael "C" in Lorton, Virginia

Do not be fooled into believing that because a man can raise money for his campaign that he is necessarily smart. There is ample proof to the contrary.

February 29, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  9. wait a minute

I believe money will come in for McCain once the Dem party has an official nominee. Just watch...

February 29, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  10. matt

if obama wins.. hes gettin my money

February 29, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  11. Randy - Denver

Well you see the reason he has not raised as much is that all the republicans are giving to Mr. Obama's campaign see so that they can crush him in November because they cannot beat Ms. Clinton.... sorry there for a minute I thought I was an advisor on Ms. Clinton's campaign.

February 29, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  12. Totally for Hillary

I am not a star, I am not an activist nor am I Oprah. I am just an average citizen for Hillary! I wish Hillary would us as an analogy the comparison of auto insurance to health insurance. Why is it ok to mandate auto insurance but not health insurance? Is health not more important than our automobiles? All Americans should be mandated to have insurance. And what does Obama think about that? Would he think only certain ages should be mandated to have auto insurance?

February 29, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  13. Ben

Clinton is an illusion of leadership. I'm sick to death of these dynasties: Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton?!? No!

The people have made their choice, step aside lady, there's something better. And he is Obama.

God bless America.

February 29, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  14. James CA

Seems McCain doesn't have the correct position on Iraq regardless of what he does. He wants to maintain a strong troop presence and credits the 'surge' for reducing violence. Fact if by 2009 when the next president is sworn in violence has not decrease then McCain was wrong and the 'surge' failed so it's time to look at different approaches. On the other hand if by 2009 violence has decreased considerably then it's time to start pulling troops out of Iraq. I don't see how his position can be correct under any circumstances.

February 29, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  15. William Dieck

When the dust settles, the people will vote for the one who has been fighting for the county all along. McCain the one with the backbone.

February 29, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  16. Thomas Allen

Obama is great.

February 29, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  17. JDM

That is alot of money! I wonder if he still wants to get public money to back him in the general election, once the Dem firgure out what they are doing. I am srarting to feel sorry for him.
    He is getting confuse like old men do when they are misunderstood. He is health is going to stop him! Did all of you see him make misstatemnets about himself?
    That is the beginning of thinking issuse. Sad !!

February 29, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  18. CONGRATS MAC BUT...

THAT'S ALL FOR A TESTED, VETTED, EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONAL POW.

February 29, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  19. Check The Title

The title should read February, not January. Did a stupid conservative write this blog post?

February 29, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  20. Stevie

Only $12 million and yet he is running ahead of both Obama and Clinton. What does that tell you Dems...you'll need every dime of that money advantage to even have a chance of beating McCain. Can't wait to hear the Dems anguish over losing the election in November.

February 29, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  21. John

Republicans are really enthusiastic about McCain a whole 12 million no less. Shame it only rates as pocket change for Obama. I wonder if McCain can remember where he put his pen and check book.
    Looks like the good old consevatives have really splashed out their nominee. Whats he gona do with the 12 million will the FEC let him spend his bit of pocket money.
    Its laughable if it was not so sad.

February 29, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  22. Tanaya

Dems are more fired up right now. Things will change once the national race is on and Reps have more reason to get excited. Although over what I'm not sure. I suppose it would be more to fight against Obama than to rally behind McCain.

All I can say is that when Obama becomes the nominee I will double my monthly donation.

February 29, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  23. Lucia

Campaign funds don't make a President. Experience does.

February 29, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  24. Dominoid

Nevermind you purposefully mislabeled the title so a John McCain story would have some blogging action.

February 29, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  25. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Who cares how much money John McCain has raised, he has lifted a hand to this campaign and is just riding the tide.

February 29, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |