February 29th, 2008

McCain raises $12 million in February

(CNN) – Likely Republican presidential nominee John McCain raised a little over $12 million in February, two campaign sources tell CNN's John King.

That compares to the $35 million the Clinton campaign has reported raising in the same time period. Obama's campaign has not said how much it raised in February, but has indicated it is significantly more than Clinton's total.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Dave. San Diego, CA

Marc,

Obama isn't "buying" his way to the nomination. It is "ordinary" citizens who are backing his campaign. Remember it is Clinton who has loaned her campaign 5 million dollars. In addition she has "raised" 35 million and has yet to pay her loan back and on top of that she is charging her campaign interest. So not only are people donating to her campaign, they are also paying her interest!

February 29, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  2. Randy - Denver

"To judge how John McCain will be as president, we do not need to depend on his books or speeches, we can simply look at his life."

Do you mean the part of his life where he was involved in the S&L Scandals? Maybe the part in his life where he was cheating on his previous wife with his present wife? Maybe the part in his life where he crashed 3 USNavy planes but kept flying because his daddy was an Admiral? Which part?

Before everyone gets all upset at me I have seen these parts of his life and still feel that he is an honorable man who has tried to do the right thing and if Ms. Clinton takes the democratic ticket I will vote for him. Not because I agree with his policies, not because I want to get back at the Clintonistas but simply because I would rather put someone with some honor in as President than someone I do not trust or who I feel has no honor.

I am an independant voter so don't accuse me of being a vengeful democrat please. I just happen to know that a president orates a senator debates. Meaning that while a president can attempt to sway public opinion and guide policy they have little chance of getting all their policies in therefore they need to be a person with honor, a trustworthy person, one who will fight for what they believe in such a manner as to garner respect. Congress determines outcomes presidents only set the stage

February 29, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. Murry

Looks like the GOP lacks enthusiastic supporters this year.
    If the number of donors is an indication, Obama will be winning the election.

February 29, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  4. Praetorian, Ft. Myers, FL

The money will come as it is required.

The national election will be on realistic ideas and solutions to restore our economy, resolve the Iraq war, and keep Al Qaida at bay, dissolved, or dead.

His common sense-and the good judgement and reason of Americans will get him elected. Money can't buy common sense.

February 29, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  5. Charlotte

With Obama supporters being wealthier, he should triple all those poor people donating to Hillary. 35 million dollars...Go Hillary

February 29, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  6. Erin

I personally could not vote for someone whose name doesn't even sound American: Barack Hussein Obama? really? And Hillary will probably cry everytime something bad happens.

John McCain is the only one who truly cares about this country. Did Obama or Clinton serve in the military? Do they know what it's like to really serve their country? I highly doubt it. But they can go ahead and waste every one of their supporters' dollars...

Also, when people write on these message boards and misspell and use poor grammar, it really just makes ya'll look stupid. Really stupid. You could at least proof-read what you're posting on the internet; or at least spell the candidates' names right.

February 29, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  7. cecil

Hello America;

Sen. Clinton, you had a "Bat Phone" moment and miss it!
    Strike one your out.

Obama 08

February 29, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  8. John "mini bush" McCain

Im surprised at how McCain even gets that much. HE HAS THE EXACT SAME THOUGHT PATTERN AS "THE WORST PRESIDENT EVER IN U.S. HISTORY", were in a recession and you fools give them (Republicans/ conservatives/ fake christians) your money. You people are remedial for real.

oh yeah

OBAMA 08 (If ya don't know, now ya know B_ T _ H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

February 29, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  9. Mark

Newsflash to "Totally for Hillary"

The reason Clinton won't use that argument is because it is not well thought out and is illogilcal.

Everyone is NOT mandated to have auto insurance, only those that own a vehicle. So to answer your question, NO everyone should NOT be mandated to have health insurance.

Think about it, I can already see the quality of healthcare dropping due to doctors being forced to accept a crappy, mandated national healthplan.

Also, think about the fact that noone MAKES you pay car insurance. It's not something that's automatically taken out of your paycheck so again I say, that's a pretty weak argument or as you like to call it "analogy".

February 29, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  10. Ca Native

All you Obama-bots and Clinton-apologists want to sneer at McCain... only proves your lack of critical thinking.

HELLOOOO!

Obama and Clinton are in a tightly contested campaign – thus frantically pressing all their financial resources. And what are Hillary and Barack doing with all this money?? Spending it in the primary. John McCain is essentially running uncontested. His money gets set aside for the General Election. His funding will come later once the nomination is announced.

All you good democratic donors might want to get a 2nd job as your candidate will be BROKE once this nomination fight is over.

February 29, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  11. JB Oakland

Take a nap McCain.

February 29, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. Texican

How can someone claim to be a Republican and give money to the opposition candidate. It doesn't make sense, then again the Obama supporters don't seem to have common sense. There is an old saying, Put your money where your mouth is. If you are a Republican, you give to Republican candidates. I would not give a dime to either of these two leftist candidates from the Democratic party. McCain will triumph with or without the money. He had my vote from day 1.

February 29, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. joli

Wow 12 mill in a primary with no competitors.... not bad.

Hey Case
    you have to point to Obamas book and quotes...to prove what you think hes gonna do? ROFLMAO...

His legislative experience isnt that scarce.... why dont you look at it... perhaps your scared by what you might find? I know I was...

Props Anon McCain is the only true bipartisan in the race... and I dont have to refer to a book or quotes to know this...

February 29, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. Dan Hussein Smith

Geez Carol and David, Obama hasn't reported the February number because February isn't over yet. Come back on March 1, OK?

He has raised about $50 Million in Februrary. Give or take $12 Million.

February 29, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  15. Ugot2Bkidding

I think you Hillary fans will have your feelings hurt tomorrow when the numbers are released. Do you guys honestly think she's raised more money than Obama? WoW....talking about hope...y'all have plenty of it.

Although I kid about it. I would rather see her in the Whitehouse than McCain any day!

February 29, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  16. Dan Hussein Smith

P.S.
    I don't know why McCain polls so well against Obama.

As an Obama supporter, I've been polled and I always say I'll vote for McCain over Clinton, not because that's true, I just want Clinton to look weaker than Obama against McCain.

February 29, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  17. Michael Fallai, Phoenix AZ

Take it from a lifelong Arizonan – McCain is an empty suit. He's done next to nothing for his constituents. Often you can't even get a form letter from his office. His entire career – from carpetbagging it to Arizona, to being for campaign finance reform before he was against it – has been all about political opportunism.

McCain = 4 more years of Bush.

February 29, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  18. Ex-Rep

With those types of numbers, I am really surprised conservatives have not run a third party candidate, yet. What happened to the GOP?

February 29, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |