February 29th, 2008

Ohio critical for McCain to win war-weary voters

For Sen. John McCain, Ohio could be a critical proving ground in his effort to win war-weary voters.

EVANDALE, Ohio (CNN) - John Dyer remembers being unable to sleep.

"I woke up at 4 in the morning and walked around the neighborhood. Part of my mind was just torn with anger. I wanted to go to Iraq and find those people who had done this and kill them," he said.

Two and a half years have passed since the knock on Dyer's door. The Marine flag still flies outside his suburban Cincinnati, Ohio, home, the Gold Star banner in the window a reminder of the message delivered by two Marines that August day.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Greg

I'd like all those Hillary supporters who say they will vote for McCain over Obama to name one issue on which Hillary and McCain agree.

February 29, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  2. cecil

Hello America;

Does anyone knows Sen. McCain stance on implimenting a military draft. Didn't see anything on his website.

Obama 08

February 29, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  3. Vince - Phoenix

I see another Vince on here in complete agreement with me about Randy, so I am re-posting :

Everyone on this post should read Randy- denver's post!!!

Thank you, Randy, for your service. I fear your post is WAY over the heads of many of the posters here, as they seem most concerned with "sound-bite" politics. Your post is insightful, and fact-and-experience-based.

February 29, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  4. Ade

Randy from Denver. My nomination for post of the week!

February 29, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  5. B. Smart

Colin Powell backed Senator Obama. If thats not clout, I don't know what is. Ohio should think of three things: The Clintons NAFTA. The useless war in IRAQ. The Bill Clinton impeachment hearings. If you don't want change after this, then you don't want change.

OBAMA 08.

February 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  6. JohnMcCain2008

War hero and experienced leader, John McCain is the one who will continue leading this nation in the strong, wise, patriotic manner as George W. Bush. The last thing America needs is a Democrat running us into more debt.

John McCain!

February 29, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  7. Ben, Warner Robins, GA

I cannot believe some of the entries I am seeing on this blog. "If Obama is nominated I will vote Republican." Well, you must have been Republican anyway. The democratic candidates basically mirror each other's positions, their voting records in the Senate are basically the same and you are going to vote Republican in the fall if the dem nominee is not Senator Clinton? What's wrong with this picture? Democrats, we have to stay behind whoever the nominee is or we'll get more of the same when McCain gets elected. I'm an avid Obama supporter but if Clinton gets the nomination I will vote for her in the fall.

Obama '08

February 29, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  8. Love the USA

This is one election that I will not vote for a Dem. This country is at war, and don't keep thinking that it was all the R's fault. Keep putting D's in the congress and Senate with the majority to stall any good a R pres. can do and you see what happen.
    McCain is our only choice for freedom.

February 29, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  9. McCain-in-4, Clarksburg, MD

McCain, Obama & Clinton would all make excellent Commanders-in-Chief. All three, I believe, would have their transitional team investigate the Iraq debacle so that on Day 1 our next President could make a television appearance and educate us all on what went wrong.

Obama would be the best at educating us, since he opposed the war from the start, and Obama would withdraw all the troops then let the NGOs and companies into Iraq to fill the void. Clinton would want full accounting since President Bush twisted her senate vote into a full-hearted Authorization for War. Plus, Clinton would have a more measured withdraw of the troop. But Obama & Clinton both would be accused of political witch hunting if they prosecuted anyone in this administration. McCain, however, could not be accused of politicizing the prosecution of anyone violating the public's trust.

February 29, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  10. TK

I don't understand this "the surge is working" claim. If you go to a third world country like Iraq and overwhelm them (like how we did by the surge), it is inevitable to find some kind of stability. All the surge did was separate each group (Sunnie, shia etc) and prevent them from crossing each other's path (much like the divide-and-conquer plan of the British in Africa a few centuries ago).

February 29, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  11. Darth Vadik, CA

...and people please stop saying if Hillary does not win the nomination you'll vote for McCain, thats like saying I'll hold my breath until I get it my way, eventually you'll have to take a breath in, so just stop this childish nonsence.

No thinking Democrat would vote for McCain, so just stop it.

February 29, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  12. angeli

Im a dem going for McCain. I was ferociously against this war and even more so in 2004 because of the lack of progress. Well Im finally seeing progress and It seems very promising. We cannot leave and give up hope. Obama continuously looks back at his stance before the war... ok enough we get it...I was against it to... but his plan for moving forward doesnt make any sense... neither does his slaps backs at McCain which fail to answer why he would leave immediately to just to re-invade 6 month or a year later...

February 29, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  13. bond

$12 billion dollars a day and 4000 dead soldiers. The Bush administration and his stooge McCain simply love war and oil.

February 29, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  14. Stephen

John McCain is clearly the most qualified candidate on issues of national security. Let's not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

VETS FOR MCCAIN!

February 29, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  15. Ms. Sims

Great exactly what we need more of the GWB policies. Cant you see how the country will be if McCain is the president.....I can't take this anymore. What does he say of meaning, does he have a PLAN for anything! All I ever hear him say is something about Iraq. I don't think that's the only issues Americans are having. We don't need another great fighter like GW we need something NEW. We can't afford to be in Iraq for another 100 years. And we cant afford for McCain to be our PRESIDENT

February 29, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  16. Joe Liani

McCain isn't even a U.S.-born citizen. His entire campaign is illegal.

February 29, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  17. republican turned OBAMA supporter...

OBAMA is the best choice for president. And I'm saying this as a registered Republican.

February 29, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  18. james

McCain is just another bush wanna be... do we need all of the bush screwups to continue? thats what we will have if this clown wins.

February 29, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |