February 29th, 2008

Poll: Clinton ahead in Ohio, Obama has edge in Texas

ALT TEXT

Clinton has a slight edge in Ohio while the two are statistically tied in Texas (AP Photo).

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are statistically tied in Texas while the New York Democrat holds a slight lead in Ohio, according to a new poll out Friday of the crucial March 4 primary states.

According to a new poll from Fox News, Clinton holds an 8-point lead in Ohio (46-38 percent), buoyed by demographics that have carried her to victory in previous primaries - white women, seniors, and members of the working class.

Obama has a slight edge in Texas (48-45 percent), but is statically tied with the New York Democrat there given the poll's 4 percentage point margin of error. The poll suggests Clinton's base is holding up in the state, but that support is not enough to overtake Obama's strong advantage among independent and African-American voters.

Factoring in the Fox poll, a CNN analysis of the most recent surveys from Ohio and Texas show Clinton with a 7-point lead in Ohio and Obama up by 4 in Texas.

The new poll comes on the same day both presidential campaigns sought to raise the other's expectations next Tuesday. Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said Clinton needs to garner decisive wins to chip away at the Illinois senator's significant lead among pledged delegates. But Clinton communications director Howard Wolfson contended that Obama should win all the March 4 contests given that he outspent Clinton nearly 2 to 1 in those states.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Byron in CA

TEXAS & OHIO= CLINTON…. GO HILLARY 2008 & 2012 The folks in Texas and Ohio are too smart to fall for obama's empty promises and speeches of rhetoric. They've been waiting for obama to give some substance other than the same old tired speech catch phrases from last year and come March 4 those undecided voters will go to Hillary.

February 29, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  2. Concerned Canadian

Polls shmolls I say !! Who in the heck believes them.

Media amateurs or disgruntled insiders with their own agendas are trying to get even with the Clintons for no justified reason.

For the record, Obama is dead wrong with his one liner comeback on McCain saying the Bush war brought the al Qaeda into Iraq.

Did Obama count how many al Qaeda were or were not in Iraq before the war ?...no..of course not. So what in the heck is he saying ?

He's just fooling ya 'all with his 'just words' and no experience.

The fact of the matter is Mr.Obama, the whole Middle East region is full of al Qaeda, insurgents, opium drug traffickers, terrorists, warlords, and so and so on. So go and talk to them Obama and see what happens to you.

Hillary Clinton for President.....pleeeeease !!!

February 29, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  3. MeluBarney

The idea of Obama being president of this country scares the hell out of me. Wake up people!!!

February 29, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  4. akaDoug

**I sure hope CNN starts showing us Obama supporters some love...since you've certainly been catering to Hillary for the last 14 months!**

I love it! Obama is starting to surge in both Texas and Ohio (remember 2 weeks ago Clinton was up 15 and 24 respectively)! And these polls are just of the likely Democratic voters, not the Independants and Republicains that love Obama.

It looks like 15 in a row! Bye Hillary it was nice seeing all 49 sides of you!

Like-long Democrat for Obama in '08 (but never Hillary)!

February 29, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  5. EL NNINO

Senator Clinton is simply trying to scare Americans... Pathetic.

Pathethic are also the self proclaimed democrats who want to make us believe that they wouldn't vote for Obama if he were to be the nominee. Those are also scare tactics.

Senator Clinton, while able, will not do anything for the country. She has no experience as a leader. Her senate record is further proof of the immobilism that characterises her.

OBAMA/Richardson 08

February 29, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  6. Liz

I thought the Dem's recognized that Ohio was the bellweather state. If Obama loses it by the current 8%, will his pledged delegates continue to believe he can carry it in November? If so, chalk it up to the silly season.

Pew says twice as many Clinton supporters would bolt to McCain.
    I suspect all those anti-Clinton crossover Republicans will stay with their real man McCain.

February 29, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  7. Melissa Atlanta, GA

I hope the media plays it safe on the day of and the days preceeding the OH and TX primaries with regards to flashing these poll numbers around – and by play it safe I mean stay out of it. I admit that these poll numbers are facinating to those of us outside OH & TX – they really are – but I worry about the effect the media stories about the poll numbers could have on voters. If the media and pollsters keep saying x is ahead of y by this-many points, the potential voters will just not bother voting. Pollsters: respect this voting process and let the voters in OH & TX have their say and try not spoil their day.

February 29, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  8. Leeza

She looks so evil in that picture! I can't wait for Tuesday to be over. I can't handle not knowing!

February 29, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  9. VICTORIA

If Hillary defeated someday, she failed absolutely due to the enemies among Democratic Party, due to the biased medias such as CNN, due to the sleepy white men, but other than the person who deliberately hide his own middle name.

February 29, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  10. Chris

With these polls, we know Obama will win both states if not tie in Ohio. These polls does not take into account cell phone users, who are mostly college students and business professionals. On both demographic, Obama leads by 70%. When you start adding their numbers, you know for sure, Obama is going to win Texas and have a high chance of winning Ohio as well.

Remember Wisconsin, Obama was leading only by 4% – 6% on pre election polls and on the day of the election he won by 15%. Those 9% – 11% were all cell phone users who were not polled pre-election.

The country is starting to look better already. Go Obama. Yes We Can.

February 29, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  11. Dane the Independent

I'm seeing a lot of bitterness from the Clinton supporters. Given that the 2 candidates have very similar positions on many policies, I wouldn't think it would be wise for Clinton supporters to swing their support in behind McCain rather than Obama (if in fact he is the nominee). To me, these statements come off like empty threats.

February 29, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  12. S, Miami, FL

I've been reading the Ticker blogs for the past few months now and all I have to say is "wow"! Reading comments from both the Clinton and Obama supporters makes me wonder: is it Iraq or the U.S. that's currently embroiled in a civil war?

February 29, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  13. MICHAEL BURNETT L.I.N.Y.

Yes he is ahead in Texas, as far as Ohio is concerrned she will not do well there either. Some of the people there are already calling her a trader, that has got to hurt, but do us all a favor Hillary and do not cry. We the people are all out of tissue, so please act as if you are really ready on day one and suck it up !!! Why cry'in works with woman is very confusing to me.
    I have a question for the people that fell for that cry'in sceen, the question is why do you feel that a person that cry's when the heat is on will make a good President?
    I thought that we the people were in need of a strong, firm and smart, President? A President that can bring about change in the way this country is run as well as make the right decisions when it counts? I do not feel nor do I believe that Hillary is that person, DO YOU ???

February 29, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  14. VICTORIA

February 29, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  15. KM

The Obama momentum continues. His lead in Texas is as high as 6 points and Hillary's lead in Ohio is as little as 2 points. It does look like Hillary's politics of fear is going to work. Vote for judgment and substance. TX, OH, RI & VT Vote Obama.

February 29, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  16. JohnS

Meet me in Texas! Meet me in Ohio!!

I thought these 2 states have been the firewalls for Hillary and her supporters. So, what is going on here, I just don't get it?

The way people with "common sense" sees this, you can cry, yell, and scream all you can, if Hillary does not WIN these 2 states with large numbers (I mean very large numbers), this thing is over.

So, Hillary supporters need to be careful not to destroy the Dem enthusiam any further. Any tool of attack by a Dem will later be used by the Republicans.

February 29, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  17. no obama EVER

Why doesn't obama explain his relationship with his church? CNN please geet to the bottom of it.

February 29, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  18. Michael TX

Obama is nothing but hot air, and I expect nothing less than for him to tout about the only thing he's done in his political career. "Talk" about the war and his decision.

The guy's 4yr record is very shaky. His political ties to people like Rezko and Farrakhan are more than disturbing. But people have been duped into believing the hype and rhetoric.

It's only after all this time that America is waking up and realizing that you can fairly evaluate people, and not be called a racist, or sexist, not based on last names or the color of their skin or gender – but by actual qualifications.

If that's so, Obama will lose.

February 29, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  19. Inês F, Lisboa - Portugal

As far as I've read, Cinton would need not just to win but to win big. I can't really figure out why spending more works out, in that limp "argument" of Wolfson's, as a direct link to winning in all March 4 contests. Or is he trying to find an excuse for losing (or not winning by the necessary margin) beforehand? That campaign seems like a bunch of rude and not too bright kids... tantrums, accusations, posturing, so much more shrewness than shrewdness. Why doesn't Clinton go, go, go... away, gather the few scraps of dignity left to her and vanish?

She's showing her true colours and they show up tawdry. She's just not very likeable and doesn't command much respect. No... poise.

February 29, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  20. Stacey

In further comment, I am appalled a Presidential candidate may have to pay a fine to Kenya in camels and goats. Please aplogize to the Delegates of Kenya.

February 29, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  21. sam

Every time i switch on cnn i see barack obama bobbing up and down with his screaming, hysterical, placard waving supporters behind wolf and his team on the screen – how disgusting – I cannot come to believe that a news channel like cnn become so biased towards one candidate. Its most unworthy of an award winning team. Every time Cafferty mentions Hillary's name you could see the smirk on his face and derision in his tone. Be a gentleman, and show some respect to a woman, even if she does not measure up to his standards.

February 29, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  22. Taylor

go Hillary! . Shes the Gteatest Candidate to run for president she has the experience Vote For the most Marvelous Candidate and that is Hillary clinton. Hillary 08!

February 29, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  23. Manuel TX

The Republicans are titling the race in TX for Obama because it's perhaps the first time that they'll actually be able to beat a Clinton in an election.

They're usurping the nomination process for the Democratic party. It's too funny. :)

Of course come the general election they'll all vote for McCain.

The DNC needs to run closed primaries and they need to get rid of caucuses. Elections should be based on everyone having a fair chance to vote...not on rabid fanaticism or tampering from the Republicans.

February 29, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  24. S.

I wish everyone would stop implying that Obama is the candidate of choice among younger americans and the educated. I am a younger american, I hold both undergraduate and gradudated degrees and he's not my choice.
    If Obama gets the nomination I will vote Republican

I am sure this will not make to the comments page, but oh well I voiced my opinion.

February 29, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  25. noemi

I am a 9-11 surviour. Do we honor those that died that day by saying we should have not gone into Iraq. I agree that war was mishandled and we need new leadership to accomplish an American victory. Be careful America because the world is watching and we can't show any weakness.

We need strong leadership and strong fighter at home to protect our future.

February 29, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |