February 29th, 2008

Poll: Clinton ahead in Ohio, Obama has edge in Texas

ALT TEXT

Clinton has a slight edge in Ohio while the two are statistically tied in Texas (AP Photo).

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are statistically tied in Texas while the New York Democrat holds a slight lead in Ohio, according to a new poll out Friday of the crucial March 4 primary states.

According to a new poll from Fox News, Clinton holds an 8-point lead in Ohio (46-38 percent), buoyed by demographics that have carried her to victory in previous primaries - white women, seniors, and members of the working class.

Obama has a slight edge in Texas (48-45 percent), but is statically tied with the New York Democrat there given the poll's 4 percentage point margin of error. The poll suggests Clinton's base is holding up in the state, but that support is not enough to overtake Obama's strong advantage among independent and African-American voters.

Factoring in the Fox poll, a CNN analysis of the most recent surveys from Ohio and Texas show Clinton with a 7-point lead in Ohio and Obama up by 4 in Texas.

The new poll comes on the same day both presidential campaigns sought to raise the other's expectations next Tuesday. Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said Clinton needs to garner decisive wins to chip away at the Illinois senator's significant lead among pledged delegates. But Clinton communications director Howard Wolfson contended that Obama should win all the March 4 contests given that he outspent Clinton nearly 2 to 1 in those states.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Trish

I would really like to know why no news media hasn't said one thing about Barack's brother.Is every one scared ? I think if this is not release American will hate all news media.Not releasing something as important as this,could and would be an disaster .If he became President and this was release later ,Lord help us all.

Barack Obama has close family ties to Kenya, and even founded a school in his ancestral village - the Senator Obama School.

In the bloody conflict there, which already has claimed some 700 lives, Obama appears to have sided with opposition leader Raila Odinga, head of the same Luo tribe to which Obama's late Muslim father belonged.
    Obama's older brother still lives there. Abongo "Roy" Obama is a Luo activist and a militant Muslim who argues that the black man must "liberate himself from the poisoning influences of European culture." He urges his younger brother to embrace his African heritage.
    Beyond family politics, these ties have potential foreign policy, even national security, implications.
    Odinga is a Marxist who reportedly has made a pact with a hard-line Islamic group in Kenya to establish Shariah courts throughout the country. He has also vowed to ban booze and pork and impose Muslim dress codes on women - moves favored by Obama's brother.
    With al-Qaida strengthening its beachheads in Africa - from Algeria to Sudan to Somalia - the last thing the West needs is for pro-Western Kenya to fall into the hands of Islamic extremists.
    Yet Obama interrupted his New Hampshire campaigning to speak by phone with Odinga, who claims to be his cousin. He did not speak with Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki.

February 29, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  2. Bodi

as a republican, I'm baffled at how the dems can be so divisive internally. Hillary loses to McCain. Obama has a good shot to beat McCain. In fact, I'd consider voting Obama.

February 29, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  3. Randy - Denver

Dave February 29th, 2008 5:52 pm ET

I think people forget that Michigan and Florida have voted, albeit just for show, to Hillary.

Actually Dave the people of Florida and Michigan did not vote and I, for one, am tired of this lie. I have family in Michigan, who as supporters of Mr. Obama, stayed home and did not vote because they KNEW their vote would not count. They tell me of MANY others who did the same thing, (they live in the country so they are not the city voters that tend towards Obama anyway). The point is in Michigan, and I am extrapolating this to Florida also, to count the votes there disenfrancises those who followed the DNC rules don't they get a say or do only those who broke the rules get a say?
    A second point concerning florida is I would ask you to look at ALL the states that have held elections; with the exception of a very small minority of them, most were for Ms. Clinton by double digits UNTIL Mr. Obama campaigned there, so to say that the votes there would represent the way the people would have went if he had campaigned there is very disengenious.
    Sorry folks in Michigan and florida the rules were set, you were given time to follow the rules, the expected outcome if you did not follow them were set, your STATE PARTY leaders chose to violate the rules and you paid the price, not Mr. Obama's fault, not Ms. Clinton's fault your states fault.. fix them next time they let you down!

A last note before we end this silly discussion about Michigan and Florida even if you gave Ms. clinton the delegates equal to the percentage of votes she recieved she would STILL not cut significantly into Mr. obamas lead, the only way they would significantly cut into it is if you gave her ALL the delegates and folks that would be wrong.

February 29, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  4. trish racin

Hillary is running a shamful campaign.
    she is dependent on misinformation, favoritism from women and supporters of bill to clench the presidency.

I think it is obvious what kind of leader she will be if the american people are gullIble enought to place her in the WH...

February 29, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  5. Rosemarie

All you Democrates in Ohio and Texas get out and vote for Hillary. You know that Obama is not the one at this time...........by the way why did he accept Sen. Kerry's endorsement, didn't he also vote YEA on the paper 114 for Iraq. I sure wish someone would bring this up on CNN...........but no...........that would be asking too much and it would make Obama not so bright and shiny................

Come on everyone get out and Vote for Hillary, she is Brilliant and deserves our votes.

February 29, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  6. John H, MN

I have a few things to say. First off is regarding the new Clinton ad called "Children" This I think is not a scare tactic but the truth. Do you want someone in the White House that will make immediate decisions about issues rater then having someone like Obama talking about issues and not doing a single thing about it. If you go to Hillaryspeaksforme.com there is a video on there where it seems Obama has took most of his speeches from other people. It compares past speeches from other people then compares them side by side with his. It is very eye opening and very disturbing that so many people are for Obama when he cant even speak with his own words. That just goes to show he is not real. So if he is the nominee than, I like so many other Democrats out there will vote republican.

Another point I would like to make is Obama is continuously in their debates saying yes Clinton is right., yes I agree with Senator Clinton, Senator Clinton made a good point which I agree. He is feeding off her knowledge. So if he is in the White House, what knowledge will he feed on then?

So if anyone wants a democrat in office then choose Hillary!

February 29, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  7. OBAMA 08

THE STATE OF OHIO SHOULD NOT VOTE FOR HILLARY, THE FORMER REPUBLICAN, THAT HAS VOTED WITH THE REPUBLICANS, FOR THE WAR AND POLICIES THAT HAVE LED TO THEIR NEW FOUND POVERTY. IF THEY DO THEY WILL DESERVE WHAT IS TO COME.

February 29, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  8. Shawn

its funny the last few pols for the states that Obama has won pretty much without contest showed clinton in the lead........ here comes 12-14!!!!!!!

February 29, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  9. Carol from CT

While Obama whines, GO HILLARY

Pay attention VOTERS. Hillary has not flagged. She will prevail. She has the strength, the stamina and the experience as well as the sound judgement. I don't see her saying " present " when presented with a problem.

GO HILLARY "08

February 29, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  10. Hillary in 2008!

Great piece CNN.com ran on Senator Clinton getting her start in Texas in 1972. Really shows that she's been at this, elevating those less fortunate (which I appreciate, particularly as a Latino) for a l-o-n-g time. It really shows that she's the genuine article, and didn't just 'show up' on the political scene yesterday.

I like Senator Obama's enthusiasm and the fact that he's definitely energizing the youth vote (though his stump speech of hope is, unfortunately, starting to sound a little too rehearsed, like that line from the movie "My Fellow Americans" – "Our dreams are like our children..."). He is a charismatic figure that will serve the Democratic Party and America well. I hope he'll be on the ticket when all is said and done, because we'll need that going into November, but with second billing.

I honestly believe, in my heart of hearts, that Hillary Clinton has the experience to get the job done. Any candidate can say "when I'm President I'll do this or that or the other"; they all do. You have to look past that and see who can actually get it done. I think Senator Clinton has her experience in the Senate and credibility on the world stage to get things done here, to improve our security at home, and to repair our badly damaged image abroad.

I hope the people of Texas and Ohio, and this country give her a fighting chance. God speed.

February 29, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  11. Vote Responsibly08

Obama is like the TSUNAMI WAVE, GRANDIOS!!
    But think what was left after the wave calmed down!
    Obama will only bring us Despair!!

February 29, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  12. Francie

Texas, Ohio, Rhode Island & Vermont:

CHANGE is Hillary! "Yes she Can!"

She will work hard for you!

Hillary 08

February 29, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. Jenny, Rio Vista, CA

Joseph: I think you have your facts wrong. Just before February 5th, Clinton was up 49% to 19% in California. Early voting was allowed here so John Edwards ended up with 85 of the vote. If the voting took place a few days later, I think Obama would have won in California. The momentum was just beginning.... and it's not about to stop now.

February 29, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  14. denise

go obama go don't worry about the comment buyer remorse the clintons are saying your votes did not make a difference and you are Delusional for voting for Obama shame on you HIlliary

February 29, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  15. R. Rodriguez

GO Texas – Go Hillary – GO USA !!!

February 29, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  16. Ben

Go Hillary . You are the best.

February 29, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  17. Jenny, Rio Vista, CA

Oops!! Correction. I should have said Edwards received 8% of the vote in California. I didn't hit the key hard enough so I got a 5 instead of a %.

February 29, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  18. Duncan in Texas

Go Hillary!!! Knock out the next Anti Christ, please do not let him take over this country. The Bible states that "A Man will come and preach peace and all will love him and he will tell everyone what they want hear, his family will be from a foreign country and then he will turn on everyone and rule with an iron fist. I have real problem with a man that won't put his hand on his heart when our American Anthem is played nor with he say the pledge, these are real big issues with me and I hope to God that America wakes up and sees him for what he really is...

Hillary For President!!!

February 29, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  19. ml

i do not really care about Hillary's tax report. I care about how she is competent to lead, and she is!
    vote Hillary!!

February 29, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  20. Rosemarie

eugene miller

Are you for one minute suggesting that Obama will throw Ohio so Hillary can win so she can talk to Bill about it.

Are you mad, Obama is so egotistical and arrogant the thought wouldn't even occur to him. He is basking in the spotlights and that is all it is, haven't you noticed at the debates how he holds on to Hillarys words, " Well as Hillary says................. I agree with Hillary and no more is said about it, he doesn't even answer the question.
    I really had more faith in my fellow Americans to see throught the cracks and pick a candidate for his/her experience, and good make sense policies, but that doesn't appear to be happening.

I have never seen anything so stupid in all my life and CNN hasn't helped either with their subtle inuendos for Obama, They are all Politicians not matter what Obama says.

February 29, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  21. denise

obama does not need to worry about buyers remorse as suggested you voted for the right candiate I think hilliary does think you are DELUSIONAL for voting for him stay on course SHAME ON YOU HILLIARY CLINTON every vote counts and was well thought of before casting the vote

February 29, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  22. DB

How much lower can Hillary and her supporters lower the bar? They stated that they would have this wrapped up on Feb 5. Then when that didn't happen she was going to make her surge in Wisconsin. Sen. Obama lapped her there so we started hearing about the "firewall" of Texas and Ohio. Now if Hillary just "has a good showing" in either or both of those states she is still staying in.

Show some judgment and save some dignity, Hillary. If you lower the bar any more we will be told to believe that you have a chance because you are still breathing. Get a clue, you are not wanted.

Obama 08

February 29, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  23. tarra

Americans are so inundated with and guided by consumerism that they don't know the difference between a presidential candidate and an advertisement for one. The articles about this campaign aren't squared off at all in the media, just advertising for Mr. O.. Nice job MSM! As people abroad wonder in disbelief, can that many Americans be so stupid? Yes we can!!!

February 29, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  24. Maxine

I am getting sick of the bias media line.....I have watched off and on for the past three weeks on the internet and there is always more Hillary and Bill then Obama. I think CNN should add up all the things they do for the Clintons.

I tell you what at least Obama is running a clean campaign, but oh wait we don't want that we want people to bring up dirt about each other.....well then I reflect let's Google Clinton Convicts and see what you get....I had forgotten all the people the Clintons worked for who went to jail for them...Hill and Bill have a lot of nerve bringing up other peoples past...and I notice they are bringing in all their old dogs to fight. Way to go Clintons let's bring the country together and the whole world....who by the way want a new face in the WH...the world is tired of the Bush Clinton era......

February 29, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  25. Harlon

I am so scared when Obama answers the call, it will be "PRESENT" !!!!!!!!

February 29, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |