February 29th, 2008

Rockefeller gets behind Obama

Rockefeller endorsed Obama Friday.
Rockefeller endorsed Obama Friday.

(CNN) –Longtime West Virginia Sen. Jay Rockefeller endorsed Barack Obama’s White House bid Friday, praising the Illinois senator for his initial opposition to the Iraq war.

"I am all too aware that the threats we face are unconventional," Rockefeller, the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee said in a statement. "They are sophisticated. They are constantly changing and adapting. And they are very serious. What matters most in the Oval Office is sound judgment and decisive action. It’s about getting it right on crucial national security questions the first time – and every time.”

News of the endorsement comes the same day both Democratic presidential campaigns are engaged in a heated back and forth over which candidate is best equipped to handle national security issues.

In the statement, Rockefeller also said he is supporting Obama because of his "commitment to rebuild America."

"I know Barack Obama will fight and win the battle for health care, good paying jobs, and energy security," Rockefeller wrote.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Brian

Thank you Sen. Rockefeller!

OBAMA '08!!!

February 29, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  2. Bjoel

If Obama wins the primary, myself and my entire family will vote for McCain. Open your eyes AMERICA!!!

Hillary 2008

February 29, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  3. Mountaineer

Well, Jay, I'm disappointed in you, but you have the right to make your choice. I'll make mine in November.

February 29, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  4. B. Smart

Superb decision Jay. The Rockefellers didn't become one of the most
    wealthy and influencial families by making unwise decisions.

OBAMA 08.

February 29, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. bk

Another old one. I thought Obama was all about change. Looks like old establishment to me. No different than anyone else.

February 29, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  6. RPF

Dr. Ron Paul was against the Iraq war too... why no endorsement for him?

February 29, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  7. ywc

wow!!!

February 29, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  8. aware

Hillary the HOPE of 08

We will overcome! :)

Barack must be getting worried. He is noticing Hillary again.

Hillary 08 or if Barack's big bucks secure the Dem nomination, vote for McCain

February 29, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  9. A Science Teacher

I am really sick of reading comments that suggest Barack Obama is somehow controlled by dark and mysterious entities and the people who support him are brainwashed. All I want is a leader who uses reason and logic to make decisions while speaking to me like an adult. Obama is inspiring Americans to take responsibility for their country by participating. Most politicians want as few people involved as possible which makes their immoral motives and policies go unnoticed.

If you are scared of Obama I'd have to guess you're old or racist.

February 29, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  10. vl

I like the title....,Rockefeller gets behind Obama, what's he gonna do... whisper the words in his ear? It's a cinch he can't come up with his own.

February 29, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  11. Anyone BUT Obama

Rockefeller just lost all my respect.

February 29, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  12. OBAMA 08

Senator Rockefeller is probably one of the best qualified to pick who answers that phone and its NOT Hillary.

February 29, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  13. Lilia, from MD

Well deserved, and from a very respectable source.

February 29, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. Rex

Excellent choice Mr. Rockefeller. Thank you

February 29, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  15. DJ in TX

Thank you Senator Rockfeller. Let's stop with this experience thing and think back of the recent Presidents (including Bill). Please tell me what experience did Bill have before he became President. He was a governor. So was Bush, Reagan, and Carter. Bush 41 is the only President in recent history that had "actual" white house experience (Hillary was 1st lady). And who beat him, an INexperienced governor named Bill.

CNN has never posted my comments. I hope this one makes it.

February 29, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  16. John

Its so sad... a man who didn't vote against iraq because he wasn't in the senate sadly copys other peoples answers and speeches and then fails to even have a MEGER voting record I wish I knew what Obama would do because every plan he speaks of i've never seen all he can say is its better and even worse the man doesnt even tell people hes half white so he can push the race card

February 29, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  17. Peter Kavanagh

This is great . I heard Gov Richardson of New Mexico and Joe Bidden are next . Keep'em coming .

Obama 08 !!!!

February 29, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  18. Paul, San Diego

Rockefeller may praise the Chicago senator for his initial opposition to the Iraq war when he was not the US senator but the questions is: what has done to stop this war since he came to the US senate.
    Can you name one thing differently in the US senate that this anti-war senator from Chicago did than Iraq war supporters like Kerry, Dodd and Rockefeller?
    Three thousands of our brave men and women have died in Iraq since Obama came to US senate. This senator from Chicago has no record of bravery in his DNA to stop this Iraq.
    Please Weirdo-Bama supporters, you have plenty of other things to praise him on but not Iraq war.

February 29, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  19. Karen

It seems to me that Senator Clinton is now playing for keeps– not for 2008 but for 2012. She know that winning 2008 is a long shot. So she's doing everything she can now to sabotage Obama's candidacy this year, so that McCain will win and she can run again in 2012.

February 29, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. Peter Canada Obama 08

Judging from the responds to the ad, Its amazing that Obama's supporters are 80% and Hillary's are 20%.

According to the respondance to CNN bloggers to most acticles and Hillary most recent ad about 3:00 AM calls.

February 29, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  21. Steve

I find it odd that every time Obama gets an endorsement it makes it as a headline. I never see any of Hillary's endorsers on here. And before everyone says she doesn't have any ....grow up.

February 29, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  22. Corinna

If Senator Rockefeller, the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, trusts Barack Obama with making those decisions, I believe it says volumes. I know that the President of the United States gets plenty of information we the public will never see, I trust Barack Obama to make the best decision based on that information using logic not emotions. I can't say the same for myself and for most people including those who get mad and bring up things to scare us every time I turn around. Its not being naive its just I would rather logic rule.

February 29, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  23. donnajp

I guess Mr. Rockefeller is playing safe – but I'll bet Hillary takes W Va.

February 29, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  24. carmen

More great news for Sen. Obama! In the meantime, HRC & her campaign are threatening to sue their own party in TX because of some 'irregularities' within te caucus system. Sorry HRC supporters but this is something to be ashamed of ! How blind do you have to be to see how low they can get to get their way? Is it going to stop when the Democratic Party goes down the drain in November?

February 29, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  25. Frank

We are ONE !
    I have great respect for all the politicians who dare to stand up against the Holy Clinton Empire ! Maybe more will join us sometime soon.
    Stand with the PEOPLE ! Stand for OUR AMERICA!

February 29, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |