March 1st, 2008

Arcade Fire to perform for Obama in Ohio

ALT TEXT

Win Butler, of Arcade Fire, performs with the band in Australia recently (Getty Images).

(CNN) – Add a few more stars to the long list of celebrities lining up behind Barack Obama.

The celebrated indie rock group Arcade Fire will perform two concerts for Obama in Ohio on Sunday and Monday in advance of the state’s crucial primary contest, CNN has learned. They’re set to perform at an Obama rally on Sunday in Nelsonville, southeast of Columbus, and again on Monday in Cleveland.

The Montreal-based group consists mostly of Canadians, but is fronted by Texas native Win Butler, who initially reached out to the campaign to organize the gig.

Butler made his support for Obama public in January after the New Hampshire primary, when he blogged a pointed, if somewhat profane, critique of Clinton's victory speech on the band's web site.

According to the music web site pitchforkmedia.com, the Arcade Fire frontman isn't the only high-profile indie celeb to endorse Obama: Jeff Tweedy of Wilco and Conor Oberst, a.k.a Bright Eyes, have also jumped on the Illinois senator's bandwagon.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ohio
  1. Kathy

For all of the Obama-haters, aka Clinton supporters; you're probably out of the times and not hip enough to realize that this is big news for young voters. Just sayin'

March 1, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  2. Les

Tell me, why hasn't CNN reporting the federal election fraud trial that is going on involving the Clinton's? For all of the Clinton supporter or say the media if unfair in their coverage of this election, you really should thank them. Clinton is being investigated for fraud for violating federal election laws in her 2000 bid for her New York Senate seat. It is just one point in a long list describing how she will do anything corrupt and deceitful to get what she wants.

March 1, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  3. democracy

People of all paths of life, age, race, economic background, are embracing Obama, we all want someone who is honest, has integrity, who can bring unity within the country, respect for our country around the world, someone who can inspire on each of us to do the best we can for our future, our children, our country and the world, and that is Senator Obama.

Thanks Arcade for supporting Obama. I hope more musicians and actors, artists support him. He is one of the only politicians who has a plataform to support the arts and music.

Yes We Can Obama 08 our next president.

March 1, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  4. James Smith

This is news? Forget about issues, let's talk about how cool Sen. Obama is to be endorsed by rock bands. The 20-some odd flag generals that showed support for Sen. Clinton during her speech on foreign policy makes her seem like such a nerd. Vote for cool, America!!!!!

March 1, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  5. John

Celebrities need to STAY OUT of politics!

cnn probably wont post this because I like hillary.

March 1, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  6. david

Never heard of 'em. This is news? Give me a break.

March 1, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  7. bill pike

GO OBAMA GO. Is it really possible that we will no longer have a bush/clinton ticket in dc??? Maybe they will call him at 3 in the morning to make sure correct decisions are made. someone once said, hillary does not have 7 years experience in an elected office, she has one year's experience 7 times--the clinton experience.

March 1, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  8. vanchava

I'm an Obama supported but why is this news. I totally agree with comment #2, many people don't know about this case against Clinton because the media doesn't report. Yet the complain the media is bias.

March 1, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  9. iamcanadian

In my opinion the DNC has shot itself in the foot by offering to the American people Two equally good NEW options at the same time.
    The first African American president. Call him X
    The first Woman President. Call her Y
    One of them will be the nominee for the DNC.
    The risk is that not all those who now support X will support Y in November.
    Not all who support Y now will support X in November.
    Meaning that the weak Republican candidate will have an easy path to the White House.
    2008 is the best chance for the Democrats to take over the White House because of the current very LOW approval of the Bush administration.
    I think they have squandered that opportunity.
    Putting both X and Y on the same ticket will not work because of the very grave animosity that exists between them.
    The Silver lining for Canada is that John McCain supports NAFTA.
    I shall be watching with interest.
    And I wish all Americans all the BEST for the future.
    The above is my opinion.
    Only the November elections can answer the stated Big Question.
    Thank You All.

March 1, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  10. paddy

All this media drama and endorsement for Obama is beyond me. Being an immigrant, I felt instantly liberated as a women when I came to US. However, this is the first time I am following american politics closely. What is clear to me that many of the asian countries are far ahead in terms of their thinking as to what a women can be than the most developed country that I live in. Country's like India have had a women prime minister in the eighties, and even countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh have had women prime ministers. However, it is disappointing for me to see Hilary, who is smart and has the experience to lead the country being potrayed as a power hungry women, whereas a male with lesser qualification potrayed as the Man for the job. A woman with less experience and more talk would be potrayed as dumb and unfit for the job and not a visionary as Obama. I am convinced that the most developed country on this planet is most backward in its perceived role of a women in society.

March 1, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  11. Tanya, Chicago

It makes me really sad to see that we are again heading in the wrong direction. I had the same feeling 5 years back when we decided to invade Iraq. Most of people were fired up that time and wanted to bomb every camels butt in Iraq. Yes, I remember that! But look what we have bombed? Its our Social Security, our Economy, our freedom, Our Education system, Our Medicare, Our Health Insurances and everything else.

Our Currency value has lost 25% of the value in the last 5 years. Now those who can still afford a European vacation soon realizes that anyone in Europe has more buying power than well to do families in US. I know, some economists will soon correct me by saying that this is good for our economy and good for our exports. But think who is benefitting from this! We all know that the jobs that are outsourced to other countries are not coming back to US easily until it is no longer profitable for the US companies to operate in other countries.

I can understand that people are so desperate for change but that does not mean that we should vote for a person without any experience. We have to be very careful what we wish for as democracy is a powerful tool in the hands of people. We know that in certain parts of the world even Hamas and Communist are democratically elected to office! So before voting not just think about what’s good for you, think about what is good for our country. Vote with your Brain and not your Hearts... I know I said too much but you get the idea!

You know the funniest part? Even if Obama does not deliver the change he promised in Washington and around the world, no can blame him because all he said was "Yes we can", and Obama can rightfully point out that everyone else have to do their part for any meaningful change to happen!

I honestly don’t think that we have time for trial and error when our economy is heading towards a recession and our foreign polices is already in a great depression. I agree that Obama is a person who knows what is wrong with the world (bullet pointed list of changes) but knowing everything that is wrong with the world enough? We all know what wrong with this world; we need a plan to fix the problems. To the people who are still ignorant about the issues affecting the world, listing the problems itself may be a huge deal but not to sensible people who really cares how to bring real change in everyone’s life.

And do we elect Obama just because he opposed the Iraq war first (when everyone knew its wrong but still had to agree to invade because the White House presented an excellent case for the Iraq War)? Well we made a big mistake by invading a country without a good plan, but again why are we doing the same mistake again by voting for a person without a plan? Am I just going nuts here or is something really wrong here?

We all know Obama is a good, honest man and we want him to serve this country for a long time. So what’s wrong if he becomes the VP and getting some real experience before becoming the president? After all it’s all in the interest of this great nation!

March 1, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  12. chris

Thank God more people want change. Hillary is a good person, so is Barack. But Barack will make a better president. The kind of person America need now. A uniter and one that can motivate people for the good of all. Google hasn't been around for long but they have performed haven't they?
    If he doesn't win the nomination which is nigh impossible, i and other rationale people will still vote for hillary against the GOP. To suggest that you will turn to McCain because your prefered candidate didn't win the nomination is foolishness and if thats how you think, then stop complaining about GB and the Iraqi fiasco, cause thats what you deserve.

Especially when you fill up your tank at the gas station....

March 1, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  13. Clayton

What about the long list of stars lining up behind Hillary.

Yes, this is big news for young voters. I mean... how 'cool' is a presidential candidate that hosts rock concerts?!?!

BUT... it just shows more and more how much Obama is able to dupe people into voting for him. This concert will win him more votes. But keep in mind – it ISN'T because of the issues.

This sucks. Obama will ruin America.

March 1, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  14. RS

Don't trust obama.... Ohio and Texas vote for Clinton.....

Go Hillary Clinton...

March 1, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  15. Laurence "Keeping it real"

Where can I find out more about this federal fraud investigation of Hillary Clinton. If this pans out I will be looking at why there has been no coverage of this on CNN.

March 1, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  16. Charlotte

I would be more impressed if Obama had held a single meeting on the Al Qaeda in Afghanastan in the 14 months he was the chairperson of that committee. He claims to put public safety above politics, however, he was too busy trying to become President to hold one single meeting. I don't think the fact that he did not vote for the war in Iraq, is a sign he was right from the start. When he was supporting Kerry, he wasn't sure how he would have voted. He is not qualified to lead, if he can't find time to hold a meeting on Al Qaeda in Afghanastan, in what he now says was more important than attacking Iraq?

March 1, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  17. Raymond Ito

I'm somewhat skeptical of "star power." John Kerry had almost all stars in hollywood but he lost. The question is: How much influence do stars really have to sway their fans to support their favorite candidate? And can they really motivate their fans to go out and vote for that candidate on the voting day? If they can't guarantee that, then they are just like any dude on the street.

March 1, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  18. dee

YES WE CAN...3 more days..Common Obama people..WE CAN DO IT...YES WE CAN

March 1, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  19. Ben from D.C.

Chris, you agenda and ignorance is showing again.

March 1, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  20. matthew

That's too bad. Luckily the Arcade Fire is mainly Canadians.

Oh well. I'll still listen to Bright Eyes, but won't enjoy it as much. As for Saddle Creek...as long as they don't organize some label event for Obama, i'll still be a proud supporter.

However, this indie rock boy is sticking with Hillary.

March 1, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. BL-NYC

When I read the posts from bloggers, such as the first one in this series it really makes one realize how horribly divided the Democratic party has become. I do understand the excitement of Senator Obama as he is a great speaker, but what I think half of the party is not getting is that he has little to no experience. These are critical times and I think Obama will be a great president just not yet. We need someone to help dig us out of this mess and preaching about a party united, a people united??? Sorry but he has already divided us???
    THINK PEOPLE...
    Also... I happen to love Arcade Fire and I am a Senator Clinton supporter.

March 1, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  22. True Democrat

Totally awesome!

March 1, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  23. No-good-judgement

Obama did make a great change when he was in Illinois Senate: A BIG POLITICAL SCANDAL for his pal Rezko – Trial on Monday. It is the change he made for Illinois. If he is elected, he will be impeached sooner and later......

March 1, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  24. Mike in TX

Oh, Arcade Fire – wow, that is going to convince a lot of college students to vote for Obama ... as if he needed more lemmings among that constituency.

March 1, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |