March 1st, 2008

Arcade Fire to perform for Obama in Ohio

ALT TEXT

Win Butler, of Arcade Fire, performs with the band in Australia recently (Getty Images).

(CNN) – Add a few more stars to the long list of celebrities lining up behind Barack Obama.

The celebrated indie rock group Arcade Fire will perform two concerts for Obama in Ohio on Sunday and Monday in advance of the state’s crucial primary contest, CNN has learned. They’re set to perform at an Obama rally on Sunday in Nelsonville, southeast of Columbus, and again on Monday in Cleveland.

The Montreal-based group consists mostly of Canadians, but is fronted by Texas native Win Butler, who initially reached out to the campaign to organize the gig.

Butler made his support for Obama public in January after the New Hampshire primary, when he blogged a pointed, if somewhat profane, critique of Clinton's victory speech on the band's web site.

According to the music web site pitchforkmedia.com, the Arcade Fire frontman isn't the only high-profile indie celeb to endorse Obama: Jeff Tweedy of Wilco and Conor Oberst, a.k.a Bright Eyes, have also jumped on the Illinois senator's bandwagon.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ohio
  1. Logan, Huntington, West Virginia

Did someone on here call Arcade Fire "celebrities?"

March 1, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  2. scott c

I love it-#6 david says he has never heard of Arcade Fire.He must be 60 or over like Clinton&McCain. This is a prime example we want change from OLD Washington that has this country hurting and dying to a new way of thinking. Obama and millions of supporters like me know we have been led down a path of lies and excuses that must be changed to honesty and openess to the American people from our President.

March 1, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  3. Go Obama

I am glad that people are getting genuinely excited for Barack Obama's chances. I don't mind having multiple endorsements from various sundry people. That just means that they would vote for them, ok – no problem. This is a Movement, and all are welcome.
    I am glad that I live in a country that wants to take it back from the politicians, and put the power back into the hands of the people. There is nothing wrong with that. These sorts of turnouts reflect the vibrant youth support, and it is the youth that will take this country back from the old politically corrupt cronies.

Join the Movement.
    Obama '08

March 1, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  4. Frank

BUTCH March 1st, 2008 11:28 am ET

I AM A CONSERVATIVE,NOT REP. OR DEM. ,SO I CAN HONESTLY SAY A VOTE FOR HILLARY IS FAR BETTER THAN A OBAMA. NEITHER SHARE MY VEIWS BUT I FEEL HILLARY CAN BE A BETTER LEADER THAN A FIRST TIME SENATOR THAT REALLY IS NO MORE QUALIFIED THAN THE SHOE LACES ON MY WORK BOOTS.
    --------------------------------

Hillary ,my friend, has on more term as US senator than Barack Obama. That's it. But he has eight (8) more years in experience as State Senator on top of that- so his legislative experience is by far larger than hers.

However, if you just go by seniority, we should all have agreed that Joe Biden will be our next president, right ?

Her 'experience' derives from being married to a president. By that standard I would rather like to see Laura Bush in the White House because she is actually a likable person and I have no reason to believe that Laura would be such a low life liar like Hil-Liar-y.

March 1, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  5. Chris

In response to my fellow Canadian above: I believe you are underestimating Democratic voters. Once they have picked a candidate, they will rally around that person.

Forget John McCain and NAFTA... we all know the "renegotiations" have to do with stopping BOTH countries from losing jobs to Mexico. What the world needs most is an end to 8 years of Republican shot gun "diplomacy". I only wish Canada had a politician with the vision of Senator Obama.

March 1, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  6. TIRED OF HILLARY ALREADY

I love Obama. At least., He checks his facts before he is
    forced to defend himself against "the mouth" She will
    do anything to win power, prestige, money.

Good let's bring in the bands and the musical groups
    for OBAMA 2008

OBAMA POWELL 2008

March 1, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  7. xavier

Cosmic Comedy Queen – Hillary is the Change!

You shouldn't insult the people that support Obama simply because you don't. Let them worry about what is important to them and you worry about what is important to you. If he wins, then the true majority has spoken and you'll have to deal with it. The same way they would have to if she wins.

March 1, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  8. Mark L

I am about going crazy with this Hilliary Experience Issue. Can ANYONE tell me just what experience Hilliary Clinton has over Barack Obama? I mean legislative experience and executive experience. This is stated as a TRUTH not a supposition by her campaign and the media. I am not interested in 16 years as Bill Clintons first lady. I dont think Rosalind Carter as much as she was part of Jimmy Carter's administration and was a very capable woman on her own, wouuld claim to have worlds of experience to govern us. Am I the only one who is incredulous about this claim?

I have heard them both at town meetings and to tell the truth they are both very well versed in all the issues that the audience presented. In the debates they are very equally matched. She is a fact machine , where he has the facts but is more conceptual in his outlook.

March 1, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  9. kathleen

Let's sing a song about honesty and tax returns.
    I think it is called transparancy. Hillary says she
    is waiting to present her tax returns until she wins
    the nomination. Believe me, she won't do it then, either.

March 1, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  10. Robert Wood

Obama Supporters

March 1, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  11. Deb IL

Let the madness stop! I'm so sick of hearing the blather about how great Obama is! Looks like he will end up being the nominee, but at least 50% of the country isn't going to be happy. Let's see how that relates to his wanting Clinton's support in the general. He may get hers publicly, but many of us aren't going to forget all of the hateful things that were said about her and her supporters when it comes time to suck up to us for our votes. He sure won't have mine!

March 1, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  12. john

NEW POLL BY HOUSTON CHRONICLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAS OBAMA TIED WITH CLINTON IN OHIO NOW!!!!

HILLARY IS LOSING, AND EVEN IF SHE WINS THE STATES, SHE WONT WIN THE MAJORITY OF DELEGATES...OR THE POPULAR VOTE...

FACE IT ...NOBODY WANTS BIG HEAD HILLARY AS PRESIDENT...NO MORE BILL CLINTON...LEAVE THE PAST IN THE PAST WE NEED CHANGE, AND EXPERIENCE IN WASHINGTON HASNT BROUGHT ANYTHING TO AMERICA SO TO HECK WITH THE EXPERIENCE ARGUMENT

March 1, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  13. Daniel

It's so sad how people can just make a judgement call based on what someone says that they did.... not what the records actually show! Obama is all talk, no action. When he said that Sen. Clinton is implying that his supporters are delirious, I had to think... It's all smoke and mirrors, people!! Why does he need to get all of these impressionable performers/entertainers to do the campaigning for him?... ARCADE FIRE to perform?... It's like dangling the carrot in front of the donkey!! Get a grip people! He thinks running for office is difficult... HA! Wait 'til he actually has to work.(which he hasn't done basically for the past 2 years as senator, so how could he even begin to talk about what he's done there!)

March 1, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  14. kathleen

Let's sing and dance in the streets for OBAMA.
    And I would like the band to sing a song entitled NAPTA!!!
    Times a wastin' for Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA POWELL 2008

March 1, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  15. PGraber

It's amazing to me that Obama has to feed his people ice cream and make sure they have music to listen to before they will vote for him.

We Hillary supporters don't have to be bribed to vote for the next President of the United States.

Do you want strawberry or vanilla????

March 1, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  16. Lenny

Dead on Bob, you have a brain that works. People with half a brain stay away from the blog.

March 1, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  17. Josh

Wow! I am shocked by how negative so many people are. Not just a number of Clinton supporters, but also some Obama supporters as well. Why are we doing this to ourselves? I think that both Clinton and Obama are excellent candidates and can help lead us in the right direction.
    I am a young man, 22, just out of college, and I don't understand how tearing the other candidate down is productive. I support Obama because of the hope that he represents.
    He has captured the attention of so many people, not just my own age, but of all demographics. He brings a hope and inspiration to this country that hasn't been seen since JFK. If we look at how JFK challenged and inspired us to better ourselves and our country. Look at what we accomplished because of JFK, and then look at our problems and what Obama is challenging us to do.
    This is so crucial that we not only have the audacity to hope, but that we elect a leader who will move us to more eco-friendly energy (yes I know about Obama's pro-nuclear position) and will help us earn the respect of the world that we have lost over the past 7 years.

Yes we can! And more importantly, YES WE SHOULD!

March 1, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  18. Christiane

Yes, Arcade Fire rocks Ohio.
    Obama 08

March 1, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  19. Lester

Oct. 2004: "One of Clinton's laws of politics is, if one candidate is trying to scare you, and the other one is trying to make you think, if one candidate's appealing to your fears, and the other one's appealing to your hopes. You better vote for the person who wants you to think and hope." William J. Clinton

March 1, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  20. Brett Albers

The Arcade Fire have been vocal about their support for Obama for months now. It's great to see artists today wanting to make a difference the only way they can, by using their talents to bring Obama's message to a new audience. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the band and have been an Obama supporter since 2004, so this combination is like a dream come true.

This is NOT a publicity stunt.

March 1, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  21. whatever

Who?

March 1, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  22. We Will Rock You

Hahaha! I love how all these old people are getting all bent out of shape simply because some musicians are supporting Obama.

"This is news??" "Never heard of 'em!!" "Let's discuss the real issues!!" "So what!!"

Guess what – the youth are going to propel this man to the presidency – brace yourselves. Change is never easy...

OBAMA 08

March 1, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  23. Tony, Midland TX

Chicago who wrote:

"If Obama was a woman she'd never be in the position the man Obama is in now. I voted for Clinton twice, Gore and Kerry once, but will never vote for Barak Obama."

YOU MUST BE DUMB. If Hillary was not married to Bill, SHE'D never be in the position she's in now. At least Obama is running on his own merits. I would like to see a qualified woman in the WH some day, but this one will never get my vote.

Obama 08!!!

March 1, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  24. T

Please don't delete this post; it's a valid criticism.

I think it's really sad that bands and other celebrities are telling people how to vote. It's as undemocratic as the editorializing press, and from people who don't even live here!!! It feels like peer pressure to me and it think it's really lame, no matter who you support. If the Arcade Fire were giving a show to celebrate and to encourage people to make their own decisions (what ever that might be), I would feel differently about it. Musicians telling people what to think isn't much better than big companies and the media doing it.–it's all advertising and it's manipulative.

March 1, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  25. Andrea Fuentes, Miami FL

I never heard of Arcade Fire, well perhaps vaguely.. I'm female over 40 too.. and an Obama supporter (not a blind sheep either).

Nothing against Hillary, but I think she is too divisive with the Clinton history. She is strong, smart and capable which is very admirable.

It is a shame that women in this society are still perceived as less worthy; the poster talking about Pakistan, India, Nicaragua, Great Britain, and ARgentina with female leaders is very true. I do think alot of the haters (red or blue) hate Hillary BECAUSE she is a strong woman. And that's unfortunate.

March 1, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |