March 1st, 2008

Arcade Fire to perform for Obama in Ohio

ALT TEXT

Win Butler, of Arcade Fire, performs with the band in Australia recently (Getty Images).

(CNN) – Add a few more stars to the long list of celebrities lining up behind Barack Obama.

The celebrated indie rock group Arcade Fire will perform two concerts for Obama in Ohio on Sunday and Monday in advance of the state’s crucial primary contest, CNN has learned. They’re set to perform at an Obama rally on Sunday in Nelsonville, southeast of Columbus, and again on Monday in Cleveland.

The Montreal-based group consists mostly of Canadians, but is fronted by Texas native Win Butler, who initially reached out to the campaign to organize the gig.

Butler made his support for Obama public in January after the New Hampshire primary, when he blogged a pointed, if somewhat profane, critique of Clinton's victory speech on the band's web site.

According to the music web site pitchforkmedia.com, the Arcade Fire frontman isn't the only high-profile indie celeb to endorse Obama: Jeff Tweedy of Wilco and Conor Oberst, a.k.a Bright Eyes, have also jumped on the Illinois senator's bandwagon.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ohio
  1. S. Wright

So, a no-name rock band endorses Obama, and this is perceived as proof that he can lead the country.

What it proves is that liberals are still sitting at the kiddie table in politics.

I cannot wait until election day; the cognitive dissonance that the Democrat party will undergo will be more than worth the event.

March 1, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  2. Rebecca AZ

Well i heard that Ozzy AC DC and Iron Butterfly was touring with Hill dude !!!

March 1, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  3. DS

Obama cannot match Hillary's brain. He is just copying her policies ..hoing people will mnot notice. No wonder they have very little policy differenece. We need more presidents with brain . See what happened when we elected one without any.

March 1, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  4. rahayto

i don't know why hillary is losing all her energy and money for nothing this race is over and obama is our democrat nominee

case close

March 1, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  5. Terry

BILLARY CANT TRUST HER EXPERIENCE JUST SCAM JUST LIKE ALL CLINTONIES,ONE LIER ALWAYS be people never learn we dont need more lier we already got now, NAFTA FIASCO never stop USA change make china own us cuz clintonies and now bushies

March 1, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  6. jimhenry

Wake up folks!! Don't just criticize Hillary on voting for entering Iraq, back then 90% Americans support it. It's Bush who abused the right to let the troops stay until now. WHERE WAS OBAMA HUSSIEN IN 2002 NOT IN CONGRESS,..

WHERE WAS OBAMA HUSSIEN WHEN THE TWIN TOWERS FELL.......SORRY I HAD FAMILY THAT DIED IN THE TOWERS
    SHE WAS THERE. AND I REMEMBER MEETING HER.

Hillary 08!!!!

March 1, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  7. A True black American

Amricans listen to me here and listen good. . Why is it that the only thing Obama talks against Clinton is Iraq and NAFTA? it is too much it is getting stale. The Iraq point he keeps hammering on has already been addressed by McCain and even recent polls showed that McCain was more right then what will he use to fight against the Republicans again. Please let us reason well here> When a man said he will start meeting with everybody maybe including terrorist ruled countries what is that ? it is just unreasonable I pray he even escape been bombed on one of those kind of meeting. This man is not getting it and I as a BLACK MAN am not a fool not to know who to vote for. I am not a racist neithr am I biased to the women folk . Let us call a spade a spade. This Man Obama needs to stay a bit more and learn. as a vice president under Clinton then let him contest in 2012. That will help the Democratic party more, even himsel more and even America but he is not just getting it right now. GOD SAVE US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE VOTE CLINTON

March 1, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  8. Mark in PA

Obama may be a fine man, but to take credit for being smarter than the majority of Democratic Senators in 2002, and smarter than most of the country in 2002, isn't that just a tad arrogant? No one knew what was happening on the ground in Iraq and there *might* have been WMDs. Had there been WMDs, the narrative on that war would be different now, and Obama wouldn't find it as easy to trade on his LUCK. He was lucky and scratched off the lottery winner. That gives him better judgement than 90% of the rest of the country? I find this man's arrogance offensive. And his supporters? Don't get me started. The Arcade guy's blog was full of curse words against Hillary. Shame.

March 1, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  9. Ben

Thank you Arcade Fire for joining the peaceful and yet powerful movement that is growing and growing.
    A pity for those who are still at the side line and refusing to accept the reality!!!

March 1, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  10. Peter

Slow news day, huh?

March 1, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  11. david

I'm a Texan and will vote twice FOR HILLARY. Keep McCain out of the Whitehouse!

CLINTON/OBAMA /08

GO TEXAS

GO HILLARY YEEEHAWWWW!!

March 1, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  12. jt

Hillary will win!!

Obama is missing in action at voting time!! In a lot of cases he is either "missing" or vote "present".

He is chairman of a sucommittee that has something to do with Afghanistan but yet never done anything.. But he is going around telling people he has the better judgement. Not doing anything is a real bad judgement.

I strongly believed that if Obama has the previlaged to see the intelligence that all senators saw (Obama was a war protester at this time, not yet a senator) he would have voted for the war too.

CNN, ask this question to Obam. If you saw a strong evidence that
    that we need to go to war with Iraq, have you voted for the war just like most of the senator did?. If said no then he is not being honest, he is just trying to say anything to ge elected.

Hillary has the guts to make the call. Not like Obama who is either "missing" or voted "present. He voted "present" because he is afraid to make a judgement.

Hillary, a better choice!! She is smarter on all issues.

March 1, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  13. Cindy

I don't know who these guys are but, it's pretty cool to see them get active in the campaign.

I'm from a different generation...

Deadheads for Obama!! :-)

March 1, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  14. Gio

Hillary was endorsed by 25 honored military men and CNN didn't even report it yet it dedicates time to post this garbage....talk about shallow approach to politics.

March 1, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  15. Samantha Gainsborough

Some thoughts from across the border:

I'm an American living in Canada right now and I am amazed at the cult of Obama that has grown here - and they can't even vote for him - yet they are glued to their TV or computer screens to track his every move and schedule their social lives around his debates and the primary results. While I am an Obama supporter, and even gave money to his campaign - something I've never done in my 20 years of being an eligible voter - I continue to be fascinated by the people this leader attracts across nationalities and age groups. And I'm not just talking those of voting age. I even had a conversation with my 9-year-old nephew in San Diego who said to me, "Any president is better than the one we have now. I wouldn't vote for Hillary, I just don't trust her, but I've only heard Obama speak once. I'll have to watch more of his speeches and see what he has to say."

Apparently most of his neighborhood friends have Obama fever as well, which is not to say, "Hey, look, even kids like him and they are the future." But, rather, it's, wow, when there is a person who even gets grade school kids thinking seriously about the future of our country and the leaders who would shape it, that is extraordinary. And, you know what, in that 15-minute conversation, not once did he mention the race or sex of the candidates. Maybe because he's biracial? Maybe because he doesn't see in color? Maybe because what's at stake is more than electing the first (half)black man or first woman as president? It's about seeing people's potential and I believe that is what a candidate like Obama inspires in all of us. When I picked up a newspaper to put it in recycling when I was visiting my nephew he said, "You know, for some people, that's a blanket." He didn't say a homeless person, he didn't call them poor people, he said "some people." Is it so awful to be general sometimes? I think Obama or Clinton can learn a lot from such rhetoric, however young and inexperienced they may be considered.

Unfortunately, I'm a Green party member - I still dream of a multiparty system - so I didn't get to cast a vote for either Democratic candidate during the California primary, but I must say I'm excited and proud to watch from another country (well, it's not that far) as two exceptional individuals battle for the democratic candidacy. The Canadians I've been following this with are, for a change, envious of what's taking place in the States. They see people getting involved and it's a huge change in perception from what they witnessed the last time I lived here, when they watched in horror at the developments in New Orleans. Then, people here asked me, "How could that happen? What's wrong with your country?"

Now, as they watch Obama and Clinton in the spotlight, they say, "There is still hope for your country." By the way, they think "their boy" will take it all the way to the White House.

March 1, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  16. B. Smart

I've never seen this kind of movement in U.S. history!!! Awsome!!!!! Take
    it over next generation. Show the doubters who is running your OWN minds. WE are. YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN! I knew
    that OHIO was cool! MAKE IT HAPPEN TUESDAY OHIO!

OBAMA 08.

March 1, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  17. A True black American

The Republicans are really fighting tooth and nail for the democratic party to nominate Obama which will mean an easy ride for them to he White house if you watch the Larry King show today . A republican man was really slamming Clinton. and was taking good side with Obama. They know what this man is made of and they have worked their equation well on how to deal with him. But Clinton have always been against them she is really a thorn in their skin. But i pray the Democratic party realise and vote wisely for CLINTON She knows how to run this thing better and she will address issues ranging from Iraq to the Economy but Obama is just a rock star and an orator. To be sincere this man needs to learn
    ATrue Black American!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CNN please post my two messa ges today Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!1

March 1, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  18. Sherylanne

This race for the nomination is getting out of hand.

Rock bands, celebrities, TV shows, the list goes on..... This is what the Obama camps are banking on. Forget the issues, the foreign policies, or anything of real value. This is the change Obama means. We're all going to regret it and us sensible minded individuals will only shake our heads and say "we tried to tell you".....

As bad as the Republicans are, at least there's a direction (not the best one) but a direction we atleast are familiar with.

March 1, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  19. Politra

Who is Hillary? politician or actress ? Democrat or Republican ? Is she spending her election fund for nice dresses?

March 1, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  20. B Dogg

Senator Hillary is always crying about wanting more debates. So why does she start crying when she is asked the first question in the debates. I really don't understand, this woman is tripping. I have no problem with a woman being president but I don't think Hillary is the woman.

March 1, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  21. Asians for Hillary

This is getting ridiculous. I think all these rock bands should stay away from politics, especially in the primary seasons. This will only fire up voters' irrational emotions and confuse them in deciding who they should vote for. Voters need space and time to cool down and think deeply and rationally who can truly bring about real change to this country. Change is not delivered by speech or words, but by actions and smart plans. I will always support Hillary because I have watched for so many years. I am impressed by her hard-working attitude and powerful inner reserve. She's the best candidate among all! If she doesn't get the nomination, I'll not vote for Obama cause he's lier. I've known enough of his inconsistence between his words and actions especially in terms of how he voted in the past. He was also absent in the black union and didn't hold a single oversight hearing on NATO's presence in Afghanistan. I'm really sick and tired of watching his face and hearing his affected speeches on TV .

March 1, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  22. AW

ml,
    Clinton's ad is not about war??? And Obama's ad is a bad copy???
    Very ignorant.
    How can she be trusted with such a corrupt background?
    And it is very impotant to keep pushing the fact that she did cast the WRONG vote. We lost many lives and spent trillions of dollars and our reputation in the world is as low as it can get. With Obama's diplomatic approach we would be saver and could count on our allies. We need to stop beeing arrogant towards the rest of the word and stop sticking our nose in their business.

March 1, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  23. Jessica F

I just hope this thing can be over soon. Because if this race keep going i do not think media presss particularly would have credit in the eye of the world. The way report this race is ridicilous. I am very desappointed about Cnn. The most watching network. I do not think I can say that..
    Obama said he does not do anything for politic, right! Why he keep hamering Clinton on Irak. Just for political gain.
    Obama should be a shame to himself when he mentionned on T.V last week, our men and women do not have proper equipement to fight so they had to to use left over from The taliban. That disgrace me. I do not think dispite all of his burden we can take a chance with this guy. We should be proud as american not to take our country down. I did not expect the media to criticize him because he the darlin' of the media.
    Texas and Ohio wake up. If you really love your country, I would suggest you to give Hillary a second chance. and uou will see the true Obama.
    I think Michelle Obama went over the limit when she started criticizinbg Shelsea and Hillary. How dare she? We have Michelle Record. I bet you the republican know it too.
    When obama talk about this war from the start the outcome play in his favor. Like Oprah said he is the savior or the prophet that's going to save america. Texas and Ohio wake up. We are one nation under God. Our saviour is Jesus Christ..
    I would like to know what will be Obama position if Saddam endeed had W.D. There is no way he could have known. In this area Our president was right, Hillary was right and those who voted to protect the american people was right..
    I was watching Cnn yesterday, I felt very bad when soledad and Jessica mention, we do not need Hillary exoerience we obama judgement wow. From a journalist, or a reporter hup....
    Texas Ohio and Rode Island deliver for Hillary.
    You latinos the question you have to ask yourself why 97% black vote for Obama? That means you have the right to vote overwelmingly for clinton.
    Bill richarson should come on borad for Hillary, John Edward should come on board for Hillary.
    Last week they had a meeting in new Orleans Obama was busy campaning. He could not go to the meeting to fix New orleans that you consider your people John edward. But Hillary was there to represent you. That's why you should endorse her and a good vice president for her.
    Cnn like Oprah you start loosing ground so stop and do the right thing. Do not favor either Clinton or Obama but let's the race continue.
    As far as remember I have never seen Obama called senator Clinton, what a senator.
    Texas Ohio Rode Island you can come onbord to for Hillary. Woment this could be your last chance to see a Women president.
    Father a women president will inspire your daugther. black hispanic or whiteGo texas.

March 1, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  24. Kathy

The best thing that can happen before Tuesday is that Powell and Edwards cast their support to OBAMA NOW!!!!! Obama will win
    anyway but He would win by bigger numbers if they would come
    out for OBAMA

OBAMA POWELL or EDWARDS 2008

March 1, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  25. From School of hard knoks

How to spend 50 Milloin Dollars $$$$$
    Ask a new band to just out of the goodness of the heart tooooo appear.
    Come on Children have we learned NOTHING!!!
    I think the lead poisoning in all of the products from China is showing up in obama supporters.

March 1, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |