March 1st, 2008

Bush votes in Texas primary but won't say for whom

President Bush and the Danish Prime Minister speak to the press Saturday.
President Bush and the Danish Prime Minister speak to the press Saturday.

CRAWFORD, Texas (CNN) - President Bush keeps saying he doesn't want to wade into the 2008 presidential election, but he proved again on Saturday that he just can't seem to resist putting at least a toe in the water.

Last week, the President took a couple of pokes at Sen. Barack Obama (D-Illinois) for suggesting al-Qaeda is not in Iraq ("I believe Senator Obama better stay focused on his campaign with Senator Clinton, neither of whom has secured their party's ... nomination yet") and for saying it's okay for a commander-in-chief to meet with the leaders of Iran or Cuba ("sitting down at the table, having your picture taken with a tyrant such as Raul Castro, for example, lends the status of the office and the status of our country to him").

On Saturday, a Danish reporter tried to get the President to engage again. At a joint press conference with Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen here on his Texas ranch, Bush was asked to name the parts of his foreign policy he sees most threatened by the leading Democratic presidential candidates.

"It's a very clever attempt by you to drag me into the middle of the 2008 campaign, similar to what these two fine folks - three fine folks have been doing," Bush said as he gazed over me and two of my American colleagues.

Then, of course, Bush decided to weigh in ever so slightly. "But I will tell you this: The issue in America is going to be, who will keep taxes low, and who will be tough in protecting America," he said. "And our candidate for President is going to win because he will have convinced the American people to this truth."

Bush later revealed he's already voted by mail in Tuesday's Texas primary, where there is early voting, though he did keep one secret: "I'm not telling you who."

Related video: Bush raps Obama

–CNN White House Correspondent Ed Henry

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Sherrie F.

Wow! I just seen the Bush clip in regards to Obama... this is the first time I have EVER seen him say anything without a smirk on his face! Oh, Bush is sure serious now!

March 1, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  2. Mike

Bush voted for GORE!!

March 1, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  3. doug

Possibly going to vote for himself.

March 1, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  4. You gotta be kidding

This sorry excuse of a human being, let alone a president, shouldn't have anything to say about anything dealing with politics other than, "I HAVE DONE A PISS POOR JOB, I'VE WAGED WAR OVER MONEY AND REVENGE, I HAVE PUT THE UNITED STATES IN THE WORST SHAPE IN U.S. HISTORY.....DID I MENTION I HAVE REALLY DONE A PISS POOR JOB AND FOR THAT.......I RESIGN!" If this isn't coming out of the devils advocates mouth when he speaks, I don't wanna hear it. And just to think, people are voting for his mini-me (John McCain)!!!!!!

Since he has been in office, the cost of a barrel of oil went from $28 to over $103.....in 7 years and YOU PEOPLE WANT TO VOTE FOR McCAIN WHO HAS THE SAME IDEOLOGIES!

Experience.....you gotta be kidding me. I vote for hope and change anyday!!!!!

March 1, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  5. Ron

Yeah He will write his name in and vote for him self ha ha haaaa

March 1, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  6. JT

Strong words from a man who has been the most fiscally irresponsible President ever. I don't know about everyone else, but I think conservatism was abandoned before Reagan, and we're now left with idiot foaming-mouth neo-cons like Bush, McCain, Romney, and Huckabee who try to fool us into thinking they are conservatives.

History has been kind to Presidents; even in spite of all their miscalculations. I just don't see how anyone will be able to put some positive spin on this President. Clinton was a much more economic conservative than Bush is. What is happening in America?

March 1, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  7. tc

who cares!!!!

March 1, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  8. Ovitshio Branco

Stupid Bush said. I've voted Republican all my life but not this time. Obama gets my vote. We need a new style of politics in Washington. It could start We need change!

Please CNN post it

March 1, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  9. FrankSmith

Bush voted for Hillary so that he could stop her from complaining and focus on the real campaign issues. Do not mess with TX!!!

March 1, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  10. Zach Fulciniti from West Chester, OH

If President Bush is smart, he'll vote for mccain so he can win and start focusing on the democrats 100% on the democrats.

March 1, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  11. Jed in Texas

He gave McCain his vote and a signed copy of my Pet Goat to Anders.

March 1, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  12. Outside of the box

No doubt for McCain, unless he realizes how much damage he has done to his country, then he will write in God, the only one who is able to fix it.

March 1, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  13. Sam

President Bush is done. there is no need to waste one's time commenting on what is left for him. He did not do any good in the past seven years. I have no reason to believe he will do any good in the few months left.

March 1, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |