March 1st, 2008

Clinton aims to clean house

Clinton spoke in Dallas Saturday.
Clinton spoke in Dallas Saturday.

DALLAS, Texas (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton, the first serious female contender for the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination, told supporters that she would clean house when she arrived at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in January 2009.

“Now, you know, as President Bush is leavin’ and comin’ home, waiting in that Oval Office are gonna be a lot of problems,” Clinton told the crowd. “So, the next president is gonna have to get in there and clean house,” she added.

“Now, I think we need somebody whose got some experience cleaning house to go into the White House,” she said to cheers. “So, I might ask you to grab your brooms and your mops, your vacuum cleaners and come on up and help me out,” Clinton said to an audience that included men but was majority female.

Clinton, who has suffered a string of losses to rival Barack Obama since Super Tuesday nearly a month ago, faces a crucial test of her candidacy in the upcoming March 4 primaries in Texas and three other states. Although Obama has made progress winning over female voters since Super Tuesday, the two Democratic contenders won the votes of women in nearly equal numbers during Wisconsin’s recent Democratic primary.

Related video: Watch Clinton on cleaning up the White House

Related: Analysis: Obama continues to chip away at Clinton's base

–CNN’s Peter Hamby and Martina Stewart

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. texas

do you call that experience????????? that is cheap taik hillary..WE ARE TIRED OF YOUR NEGATIVE ADS AND ATTACK.. TEXAS WASNTS SUMTN NEW. TEXAS FOR OBAMA.

March 1, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  2. Lori

Hillary is fighting for me!! I want her in their cleaning the White House!! She speaks for children. I want a womens perspective for the first time ever in the white house. I know that myself I see things completely different in how I handle day to day challenges. I know that Hillary will bring a whole different ability tand perspective to solve problems. I trust that a women in the White House is exactly what we need to get our country turned around. I know that other country leaders are hoping that she is our elected President. Rise Hillary Rise!!

March 1, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  3. mchenry in wisconsin

I highly doubt Hillary has cleaned house in years. She grew up in an affluent home in a suburb of Chicago, went to Yale, became a lawyer, First Lady of Arkansas, First Lady of U.S., Senator and I am supposed to believe she cleans house. Nice try at trying to make me identify with you but I don't think so. Don't insult my intelligence by pandering to me.

March 1, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  4. Lisa

Why is Obama hiding his wife, Michelle Obama? Haven't heard from her ever since is said she was proud of her country for the first time in her adult life. Obama is more like preacher then a President. I wouldn't vote for him if he was running against George W. Bush. Hiding his wife, middle name, friends and allies. You shouldn't have anything to hide Barack. He tried to fool the American people by not attending the Black Forum, trying not to use the race card when he is clearly African American. Something is not right about this guy, the only issue he ever brings up is the fact that he didn't vote for the war, NEXT!!!

March 1, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  5. Someone From Illinois

Wow, for all their hope and change slogans, Obama's supporters sure spew a lot of negative, irrelevant, and downright ignorant vitriol. I guess even they don't believe their own hype. In reading the posts here since the campaign started, I don't think I have ever seen one of his supporters reference his policies, or do much more than scream sexist remarks, chant empty slogans, repeat borrowed promises, or quote erroneous "facts". If Obama's supporters believe what they claim, why don't they start acting like adults, and prove it. Why don't they try to make an argument about why Obama's policies are better than Clinton's, and stop with the sexist stupidity - I guess the simple answer is they can't.

March 1, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |