March 1st, 2008

Clinton aims to clean house

Clinton spoke in Dallas Saturday.
Clinton spoke in Dallas Saturday.

DALLAS, Texas (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton, the first serious female contender for the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination, told supporters that she would clean house when she arrived at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in January 2009.

“Now, you know, as President Bush is leavin’ and comin’ home, waiting in that Oval Office are gonna be a lot of problems,” Clinton told the crowd. “So, the next president is gonna have to get in there and clean house,” she added.

“Now, I think we need somebody whose got some experience cleaning house to go into the White House,” she said to cheers. “So, I might ask you to grab your brooms and your mops, your vacuum cleaners and come on up and help me out,” Clinton said to an audience that included men but was majority female.

Clinton, who has suffered a string of losses to rival Barack Obama since Super Tuesday nearly a month ago, faces a crucial test of her candidacy in the upcoming March 4 primaries in Texas and three other states. Although Obama has made progress winning over female voters since Super Tuesday, the two Democratic contenders won the votes of women in nearly equal numbers during Wisconsin’s recent Democratic primary.

Related video: Watch Clinton on cleaning up the White House

Related: Analysis: Obama continues to chip away at Clinton's base

–CNN’s Peter Hamby and Martina Stewart

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. I voted Hillary

Please everyone read the news under CNN Politics called:

"Black delegates under pressure to switch to Obama"

March 1, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  2. Mark

I think Barack & Michelle Obama should have final say over staffing decisions, but if Hillary now aspires to the post of White House custodian, she can certainly point to her prior 8 years as proof that she would would be ready for that type of duty on Day-1.

March 1, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. ABC=Anybody But Clinton

and this from the lady that says she doesn't stay home and bake cookies...... gimme a break Hill.....go back to NY

March 1, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  4. JOYCE

hillary
    you need to do that so go home and get started, why you are at it. take bill, cook him a home cook meal, he would like it
    obama all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

March 1, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  5. Andy, New York, New York

Hahahahahahahahahah!The more she talks is the more I laugh in derision. She knows about cleaning the White House alright!

Remember when she was moving from the White House in 2000, she took a lot of stuff – considered White House property – that she was supposed to leave behind?

Well, she wants to go back for at least four more years to finish off what she started – STEALING PUBLIC PROPERTY!

Stop the thief! Texans and Ohioans and Rhode Islanders and Vermontians, we are counting on you to stop this bucktooth, fat feet slime ball named Satan!

March 1, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  6. W. San Diego

I have a feeling CNN won't post this as very few of my posts make it on here anymore.....but here goes......

I honestly believe that the news organizations are playing both sides of the Democratic Primary Debate as they want this Primary Season to go all the way to the Convention. If it goes that far, then it's more Air time and sensational stories for them to report on.

It seems whoever becomes the front runner the support from the pundits changes to favor the underdog and they air more of the attack politics confronting the front runner.

Aside from that.

Anyone watch the report on CNN where the Hillary Clinton Supporter Stabbed the Obama Supporter at a home political discussion?

Hmmmmm.......I guess Hillary Supporters are following suit of their leader of the "Do anything, say anything to get elected" political tactics.

March 1, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  7. Bubba

Remember the last time she cleaned house? Stole everything that wasn't bolted down !

March 1, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  8. Reatte Beaumont, Texas

she should have cleaned her own house about 8 years ago then she could have told me that we need to clean house at the white house and then the next president after her will have to really clean house behind her and the former white house hustler

March 1, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  9. Sarah

No need to worry about cleaning house, it won't be yours to clean.

March 1, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  10. ISE

Yeah, Billary, the way you cleaned house when you left–you sold furniture that belongs to the government, stole silverware, removed the "W"s from all the keyboards, and trashed the place. Then you're going to fill Washington with all your old, corrupt cronies–the same people who are established in our ineffective and problematic government now.

March 1, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  11. applecrispbetty

I hope you leave it clean when you leave in 2013. It was kind of messed up when you and hubby left in 2001.

March 1, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  12. Lois Brady

Maybe Clinton could learn how to speak proper English. The gonna's just don't do it for me.

March 1, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  13. David

So she'll clean house in the White House? You mean like her and her husband did when they left, stealing furniture and pulling sophmoric pranks? What kind of leadership is that? Have some respect for the office of the presidency.

March 1, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  14. Byron in CA

One point I don't see being raised in the blogs or maybe I've missed it, is that obama claims when he made his speech in 2002 he was risking losing the race he was in at the time. Doesn't seem credible since the people he was trying to win over were against the war too. So if nothing else it could be seen as him pandering to the people he wanted a vote from. Then to hear in 2004 when Kerry was running and he was asked how he would have voted, he admitted with the intelligence submitted at the time of the vote to go to war, he too may have voted to go to war. I have to say it sounds like he says just enough not to get into trouble with anyone, but when it does come to his vote, "present" seems to be a common theme of his voting record.

March 1, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  15. andrew jones

Take it from me Billary-the-whiner-at-3am-scaring-my-children-by-picking-the-phone-2-give-bill-the-dog-a-ride-home-while-voting-for-iraq-war, the only house we will be cleaning come tuesday is Billary's...Puff, be gone! – game over for you Billary!!!

WE ARE VOTING OBAMA!!!!
    YES WE CAN
    YES WE CAN
    YES WE CAN
    YES WE CAN
    YES WE CAN
    YES WE CAN
    YES WE CAN
    YES WE CAN

March 1, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  16. Edi

Good for you Hillary. And by the way, without doubt you are the highest ranking of all the candidates to be commander in Chief. Barrack has nev er served; McCain is truly a hero( and I love him); but you are THE GENERAL with leadership skills and personality that demands respect and that will restore America to its commanding place in the world.

March 1, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  17. Mark

I think many voters that are basing their vote out of as sense of making history are missing the bigger history maker. Although it would be historic for a African-American to become President, he is still a man. It would be more historic for a female to become President.

March 1, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  18. Bill

Go Hillary – we are with you in support.

Good luck we are cheering for you.

Stop the Obama Cult movement.

Obama Clearly an elegant speaker that can move people with his hopes and his dreams. Taking action and getting results that make your words and dreams come true are two different things.

Obama is clearly a great performer, skilled at capturing peoples
    interests and giving them hope. Obama offers fantasy to a country
    deprived of hope. It doesn't take much to speak such words; it does take a
    great performer to capture and gain the attention of millions. Marketing
    a product so millions of people will buy your product even if your
    product can't deliver requires the best of performers. If Obama was an
    entertainer I would vote for him. I can't say I would vote for him as
    President and I am disgusted that so many have fallen for entertainment
    issues rather then sincere issues.

If you think past the glitter, the charm, the cult-movement of Obama and really look at specific ideas, specific plans and a proven track record and a person who can tackle McCain's knowledge of foreign policy I think you will see who the best candidate is.

March 1, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  19. Texas Mama

I am glad to see Hillary with a softer feminine side. I like her this way. I hope she can keep this tone throughout the rest of the campaign. I must admit that it scares me when she changes moods so much. Go Hillary! This is a great step.... light and sweet. I will be happy with either candidate, however I voted for Obama.

March 1, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  20. diane

What a hoot! Hillary cleaning house in the oval office! Seems to me she should have done a fumigation while Bill was there!

March 1, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  21. Dem

Wow. Is she that out of touch with the ordinary woman? "Hmmm, how to relate to these broads... I know, I'll talk about cleaning house!"

March 1, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  22. David

Will she be singing "A Working Song"? And when was the last time she picked up a vacuum? I do find that somewhat funny. What is the point of this article? Why are there no Obama articles on this website? Here's the headlines from the apparently anti-Hillary media:

"Clinton to appear on "The Daily Show"
    Clinton: Obama "missing in action"
    Poll: Clinton ahead in Ohio, Obama has edge in Texas
    Clinton Intends to Clean House

and the two Obama articles:
    Obama camp responds to Clinton ad with one of their own
    and
    Arcade Fire to perform for Obama in Ohio

Where's the bias?

Obama 08!

March 1, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  23. Pat Va

Seems to me, Hillary, YOU, weren't able to keept the White House clean when you previously occupied it...what makes you think you'd do any better now????

March 1, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  24. J

Is this a story? It's literally just a paragraph from her stump speech with an extra paragraph to repeat what is in every other CNN politics story. woohoo....

March 1, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  25. come on now

some new slogan ideas for a campaign that changes leadership and messages more than i change shirts, from a fascinating blog post on msnbc.com:

"Ready to Lead on Day None"
    "Why Win When You Can Whine?"
    "When the Phone rings at 3 A.M, Bill Clinton will be undoubtedly up to answer it."

ladies and gentlemen= Hillary Rodham Clinton- Change...that you can count on.

March 1, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |