March 1st, 2008

Clinton aims to clean house

Clinton spoke in Dallas Saturday.
Clinton spoke in Dallas Saturday.

DALLAS, Texas (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton, the first serious female contender for the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination, told supporters that she would clean house when she arrived at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in January 2009.

“Now, you know, as President Bush is leavin’ and comin’ home, waiting in that Oval Office are gonna be a lot of problems,” Clinton told the crowd. “So, the next president is gonna have to get in there and clean house,” she added.

“Now, I think we need somebody whose got some experience cleaning house to go into the White House,” she said to cheers. “So, I might ask you to grab your brooms and your mops, your vacuum cleaners and come on up and help me out,” Clinton said to an audience that included men but was majority female.

Clinton, who has suffered a string of losses to rival Barack Obama since Super Tuesday nearly a month ago, faces a crucial test of her candidacy in the upcoming March 4 primaries in Texas and three other states. Although Obama has made progress winning over female voters since Super Tuesday, the two Democratic contenders won the votes of women in nearly equal numbers during Wisconsin’s recent Democratic primary.

Related video: Watch Clinton on cleaning up the White House

Related: Analysis: Obama continues to chip away at Clinton's base

–CNN’s Peter Hamby and Martina Stewart

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. Stephy, Groton Connecticut

I seriously feel offended about the cleaning analogy (that is one gender card I don't like)

March 1, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  2. Jamie

I think it will take her to clean up the present mess Bush has brought upon our country!!

Clinton 08

March 1, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  3. LadyLeo

Why didn't she clean house when she was first Lady? We would not be in this mess if she had.

March 1, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  4. Tom

We need to be free of Clinton types in either party. People with connections often do public disservice and both Clintons are no exception. Nor is Bush any prize. Clinton, who professes great ability, will be remembered for losing her billing records at an inconvenient time.

The sad truth is that Obama has also made great and unmentionable compromises to get where he presently stands.

Sadly, we would be better with an empty chair than any of these Republican or Democratic choices.

March 1, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  5. Anna

Very cute analogy. I like your new found sense of humor. You ran a very competitive campaign and you should be proud of how far you came and how close you were. I think if you do not get to be the nominee this time, you should run again the next election. Next time pick an entirely different staff, because this staff failed you.

March 1, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  6. Bonnie M, Loveland, CO

As a retired woman who definitely has cleaned house a lot, I would like to say that Hillary is a disgrace to women everywhere. Her whole attitude reaks of female chavanism and is repulsive. I hope men and our younger generation see through her as it appears the NOW groups only wants to further their own agendas. Her experience (the new ad) with foreign leaders is because Bill spent millions traveling the world with Hillary and Chelsea at taxpayer expense and accomplished nothing. Now we know why he took her along. Bill had more experience when he ran for office than she does and he didn't have much.

March 1, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  7. Texas4Obama

GOD! The more I watch this woman the more she annoys me. Her desperation has made her less appealing.

Obama '08
    YES WE CAN!

March 1, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  8. Mike

Go Hillary !!! make sure you clean the environment around there too...create a bipartisan work with senate

March 1, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  9. maynard

cleaning house. well hillary you didn,t do your job ,,, dirty bill is still with you

March 1, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  10. The Insider

Let's see ... pandering, playing the gender card, ... yeah, she is playing by the rules all right.

March 1, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  11. Katie M

Hillary, if only you could be a little more respectful, maybe you would get more votes from men. It's ok if you're a strong, out-spoken woman, nothing wrong with that. Infact, I'm proud of you for that. However, you've crossed the line by being so rude, bossy and pushy. Not ladylike at all, no wonder you're losing votes from men especially.

March 1, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  12. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

Start with the current AG ... like his the guy who came before (I can't recall) this one is letting the Bush administration get away with with breaking the law again and again ...

March 1, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  13. Angela

I just bought two new brooms today and I'd love to help. God knows there's gonna be some piles of dirt to clean, especially after the Bush/Cheney mess.
    I takes a woman to PROPERLY clean up a house. No offense guys, but we're just better at it.
    GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 1, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  14. Peter Kavanagh

You're the one who is being "swept" hillary :) Why don't you go back to being the nice Hillary like at the end of the Texas debate that way people might remember you better .

You know you can't gain any ground on Tuesday .

Go Obama 08 !!!!

March 1, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  15. Jennifer, Westbury, NY

Go Hillary! I feel she has a better grasp of the economic, health care, foreign affairs, military and social security issues. Obama has common sense, something our current leader is lacking, and of course would be an improvement, but he is promising a lot of things that he can't deliver on. He just doesn't have the depth of knowledge that she has, nor McCain. I've seen him say too many things that he just doesn't know what he is talking about. He needs more experience and seasoning.

March 1, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  16. Bessie Robinson

I am a 52-year old female, I know more about relationship than politics and I tell you Hillary Clinton cannot clean the white house until she gets her own house in order. The fact that Bill Clinton received sexual favor in the white house says a lot about his respect for hillary. ask any man or woman. Hillary is holding on to bill because she is insecure.

Her insecurity also shows because she doesn't have any eye candy close to her I said this would happen in the beginning of her campaign. It is not uncommon for insecure women to Those different mood swing that Hillary have are not unusually for a wronged woman.

Also, you can tell when her camp are leaving comments, they sound the same and rehearsed. They sort of fit the profile of her voters during this campaign

March 1, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  17. elizabeth

All of this women talk is what is going to lose the White House for you. As a female, im ashamed to hear you talk like this. This will not give us equal representation.
    What would people think if Obama was saying, "vote for me to be the first black in White House. It wouldn't work nor will this work.

Im a white female in Rhode Island and you just lost my vote.
    Obama 2008!!!

March 1, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  18. doug

I seriously do'nt think the kind of cleanup we need at the white house can be accomplished with brooms and mops. What we really need is to clean out the same old politics and replace it with a dramatic new style of politics, it's called CHANGE.

March 1, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  19. JK Ashburn, VA

This rhetoric from the same crowd that destroyed computers and furniture when they left in 2001? Everyone remember: amongst other things, they removed the W from all the keyboards.

Oh and let's not forget those nifty last minute pardons of crooks like Marc Rich. They were late to the inauguration in 2001 because they were busy signing dozens of pardons.

Childish rhetoric backed up by experience in childish behavior.

March 1, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  20. TX Female Voter

I have to admit that as an intelligent, female voter I have tried to learn to support Hillary. She does, indeed, represent the culmination of the efforts and dreams of generations of women. However, I do not like the tone of her campaign in the last few weeks; and I am especially turned off by her willingness to pander to the "women's vote" in this instance. I respect that Obama has not chosen to take this road with the people of color in this country. It makes me proud that I early voted for Obama last week.

March 1, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  21. Gil - California

Well it is nice that Obama intends to hire her as a maid. That is the only way she'll be able to clean up the White House.

March 1, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  22. M. Farber

Remember when Bill was at trial for impeachment and suddenly your husband's administration shot a bunch of missiles into the desert all out of the blue?

You missed Osama then, eh?

That was of course before 9/11.

Is that the sort of "mess-cleaning" you're going to do, because it seems to me like you guys left that mess for ol' Bushykins to clean up.

It amazes me that anyone thinks they can get away with these sort of lies, let alone use them as an example of clarity and mission.

March 1, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  23. JohnArk

You tell um, Sister. It took a Clinton the first time and it will take a Clinton the second time. Fight for what you believe in. Even if you don't get the nom., you will make history for sure. Keep up the good work, Girl!

Clinton 08!

March 1, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  24. dee

She needs to clean her own house because she will be going to the White House. John McCain will not be there, either.
    Barack Obama will be there!

March 1, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  25. Dianne

She should be good at cleaning house, after she took furniture from the whitehouse when she moved.

March 1, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |