March 1st, 2008

Clinton to appear on 'The Daily Show'

Clinton last appeared on Stewart's show in 2003.
Clinton last appeared on Stewart's show in 2003.

(CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton is scheduled to appear on Comedy Central’s ‘The Daily Show’ on Monday, March 3, according to a press release by the cable outlet.

Clinton has previously appeared on the political talk show but her upcoming appearance will be the first since announcing her run for the White House in 2007.

The scheduled appearance comes a day before crucial primaries in Ohio, Texas, Rhode Island, and Vermont where some pundits believe Clinton must do well in order to keep herself in the race for the Democratic nomination.

Sens. Barack Obama and John McCain, the two other leading contenders for the White House, have both appeared on the popular show since the presidential campaign started in early 2007.

–CNN’s Sasha Johnson and Martina Stewart

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. mir

So what will Obama say now, that going on the Jon Stewart program = fear mongering???! The only problem with Obama is he contrives fiction from fact. Sorry, but painting Hillary as the fear candidate, who's now appearing on -Oh NO, The Daily Show (that will sure scare *everybody*) –is the heart of the problem. He's deflecting the fact of his limited experience and fictionalizing his own limitations by framing the judgment card. Huh. At 3am, as someone posted, Obama will hit the snooze button and hope the problem will go away in his dreams.

March 1, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  2. Robert Bergley

It's really impressive how Hillary's few supporters on campus, on campus, are being urged (at least by each other) to surge upon the CNN comment section to give the misguided impression that Hillary has more support in Texas.

Why would anyone want to elect someone to office that has to have the people in their campaign resort to these sorts of tactics?

The bottom line is that Hillary's "experience" has supported lots of bad legislation and represents that she's further entrenched in a system with a lot of flaws and problems.

Change means new blood and a new perspective in Washington.

We've seen time and time again how the Clintons let the Republicans run ramrod all over them.

Let us not forget how they tried to kick Bill out of office any way possible, they hate Hillary just as much and are going to resort to the same sort of tactics and gum up the works on capital hill.

Don't forget:

HILLARY SUPPORTED THE PATRIOT ACT AND THE WAR IN IRAQ

It isn't a long composed, well-drafted argument for voting for Obama because it DOESN'T HAVE TO BE.

If you can sum up why she shouldn't be president in so few words, that really says something.

March 1, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. Tim

How much do you want to bet that she tries to find a moment to cry on the show.

Pathetic. Desperate.

It's time to go back to the trailer, Hillary.

March 1, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. Apostolos

They're both great and I'd like either one of them to win. I just wish they hadn't had to run against each other.

March 1, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  5. Adam H

Anybody taking bets that she will cry?

March 1, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  6. Dylan from CA

I simply cannot fathom how Hillary, her campaign and her fembots that post on this site think they will garner support for her by insulting Obama's supporters over and over again.

I watch the debates beginning to end, I have read both plans for change, I have more than informed myself on the qualifications and vision of the candidates... and I chose Obama.

The more I am told I am part of a "cult" or "dilusional" or "uninformed," and the more I hear "Hillary or McCain," the more I understand how completely out of touch Hillary and a large percentage of her supporters (although most of her supporters actually do have common sense.) It's time for YOU to wake up.

March 1, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  7. David Galazyn

Do you want to know what is scary? The Clinton supporters have picked up Stockholm Syndrome from the Mrs. C. The media is not biased toward Obama. I love all these posting like "CNN WONT POST THIS CAUSE I HILLARY" (Note the bad grammar, obviously Clinton supporters don't have spell check on their computers, but it think the last sentence of this paragraph explains why). CNN has been posting the comments that people leave as long as they are not prejudiced in anyway. Many of the Clinton Supporters are becoming aggravated that so much has gone wrong with their candidate. Her activities as of late, are somewhat wishy-washy and people do not know what to make of her as a person. Obama was such a good packaged candidate that he sold himself easily to a lot of Americans. The only reason you now see pro-Clinton comments is because her campaign is forwarding these postings to her supporters. Now they say things are fair, however that is not the case. Lets be realistic any hardcore democrat is not going to vote for McCain because they are upset over Hillary losing. Those are just the words of Clinton supporters trying to scare other people into voting for her.

To you Clinton supporters you really have to be more careful with your words. You are starting to come across looking crazy.

March 1, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  8. Kim in Ohio

To Joe in Florida – You are exactly on target! Why isn't Senator Obama outraged that Democrats in Florida were disenfranchised? Although I have voted for Democratic presidential candidates for over 30 years, if Obama is the nominee, my vote will be for McCain in the general election. I've studied political science and done my research – it's the only choice I will have since I didn't drink the kool -aid.

March 1, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  9. Bev

Is Hillary auditioning for a job as a stand up comic? Did her mocking of Obama during her speech at the rally give her the idea that maybe she can become a stand up comic if she fails in her bid for the Whitehouse or is she planning on joining hubby on the speakers trail as the comic relief? Hillary doesn't strike me as someone who can laugh at herself. She takes herself and her program to seriously. So we can expect that she will use the comedy to mock her opponent and mean every word of it. My opinion is that she won't mean it as a joke even if she claims it is.

March 1, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  10. nadeem

Newsweek has a great line

"the Clinton post Feb 5th strategy has reminded us of th bush Post Iqar invasion strategy – non-existent"

March 1, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  11. Peter

If I were an Obama supporter, I'd be sick of the experience argument too since he's on the losing end of it – and most of his foreign policy experience took place by the time he was ten years old.

If a well run campaign were the mark of a qualified president, perhaps Obama's campaign manager should be president. Perhaps Karl Rove should be president for life.

The Daily Show should be enjoyable, two people who actually know what they're talking about.

March 1, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  12. Mark

Good idea. Showing humor = being human.

March 1, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  13. Jin Wong

Hillary has shown strong leadership. She appears very calm in going on for the campain despite of loosing last few states. That is a kind of person we need to lead our country. She is the best choice for our presiden.

March 1, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  14. kROCK

Nice to see the voice of Hillary supporters actually being displayed on CNN!

I'm extremely proud of my fellow Americans that are waking up from the star-gazing that is the "American Idol" factor.

Just look at the records, the facts.. they will lead you to HILLARY for President!

Do some digging... speeches of Obama's dating back to 2004 until now.. just watch the complete change in opinion!

TEXAS 4 HILLARY!

March 1, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  15. Rowena of Texas

Obama supporters, what are you prouds about Obama? His lies and speeches? Is this the man you like to be your leader? He's trying to convince people that he's Christian because mostly Americans are christians. And better check carefully, he's donations mostly came from his own religious sector. Mostly postings who support Obama came from one person with different aliases. Anyway, I am very confident that you gonna loss, lots of talks no action.

March 1, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  16. Interesting

1. Polls say McCain will beat Hillary.
    2. Polls say Obama will beat McCain.
    3. Being a fighter in Washington gets nothing done. Proof, Hillary as 1st Lady with Healthcare.
    4. The value of Experience depends on the type of experience. Bush Sr ran the CIA & was still a horrible president. Clinton is so divisive that while she might be right on issues, Washington won't let her get anything done.

Obama will have the will of the people on his side. He will win a landslide, (that's what republicans believe).

Also, the press mentioned this only a few times, that many of Hillary's super delegates are endorsing her out of fear. The Clintons run almost a fund raising mafia. That's why Obama has made huge contributions to super delegates, to show he can provide just as the Clintons.

March 1, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  17. Matt B

Too bad Stewart is clearly for McCain. They are totally old pals now.
    I hope Barack goes on the Colbert Report!

March 1, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  18. Juanita

To Alice Rea: thank you for the compliment that only the young who don't remember Amerian/World History are voting for Obama. Wow! I'm still young.
    I'm a 61 year old retired white female professional. My first memory of politics is the 1952 presidential election. My dad was so certain Stevenson would win and as we listened to the radio for election results he got mad that Stevenson wasn't winning. I can remember the Korean conflict and when a truce was announced. I remember John and Jackie Kennedy coming to Milton-Freewater, OR to campaign in May 1960 and the list goes on.
    I'm not a "robot" to Obama; I'm not on medication, I'm not mesmerized by Obama.
    Hilary supporters shouldn't insult those who do support Obama. It will most likely backfire if Hilary does get the nomination and we remember how we were taunted for our support of her opposition.

March 1, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  19. Steve

I've read a lot fo coment above that all kinds of emotions will appear on The Daily Show, and htat Hillary will or will not bash Obama. For those of you who have not seen this show, IT'S A COMEDY SHOW!
    The people being interviewed are generally given about 5 minutes in between 11 advertisements to state their case, or plug their book, or talk about their movie. John Stewart, who is an incredibly bright and well-informed guy, is a master at controlling the situation. I expect Hillary to talk about herself (duh), and make veiled references to Barack. She won't cry, and she won't get nasty. The audience won't let her do it, and neigher will John Stewart. John will tease her about various things, she'll laugh, say a few sound bites, and it'll all be over.
    Larry King, this ain't.

March 1, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  20. doug

now the last 4 times i have posted on this site they remove it, so lets see if this one makes it. i want to know what the media is going to do to go after Obama's camp for stealing Hillary's video. if the tides were turned they sure would be going after her. i think the media has been so unfair to her, they have questioned everything about her but not 1 time have i seen them question anything about Obama, not 1 time. what are you all affraid of. what is the problem with questioning Obama about anything. why aren't you doing it. i am so sick of the media giving him the green light at every corner while you give the red light to Hillary everytime. and the biggest culprits are M.S.N.B.C AND CNN. I AM LOOSING MY INTEREST IN WATCHING THESE SHOW'S. i would hate to stop watching but i just cant sit here and see the one sidedness of these 2 stations. i am very disappointed.

March 1, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  21. Rebecca - Fresno, CA

Good for Hillary that she has such loyal supporters. For those of us who don't, the experience mantra just doesn't resinate. I, for one, took a very close look at her "experience" and found her experience as an elected legislator to be less than Sen Obama. For me, her experience as First Lady is inconsequential with regards to actually being the president. I mean she is definitely qualified to write a book about the presidency from her perspective. Overall, I find them equally qualified.

What we are left with are to choose between the candidates themselves and their approaches to governing. If you believe an open-minded fresh approach can open new avenues toward progress, you support Obama. If you believe age translates into experience and partisonship will allow for progress, then Hillary might be your choice. I have chosen Obama 08, not for his ability to give a great speech, but for his proven ability to unite others around a common goal and move things forward (just look at his campaign as poof of that)..... the future is bright!

March 1, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  22. Dick Pittenger

When Obama came out against the War, he was in a crucial campaign running for the Illinois Senate. It was at a time when everyone wanted to bomb Iraq back to the Stone Age. He took a great risk, but courageously pointed out all the hazards of going to war with a nation 60% Shiite, and a 3rd rate power that even if it had WMD, it had no navy, no air force, no ICBM's, no way to in any way challenge the safety of the U.S. Hillary caved at a time when she needed to be strong. Please don't insult our intelligence by claiming that Obama would have done the same thing as she if he had been in the US Senate instead of running for Illinois Senate. He combines extraordinary intelligence with an unmatched courage to hold unpopular positions.
    I am hopeful Obama will lead the Democratic Party back to its historic liberal stance, and away from the Clinton-era submission to Newt Gingrich's Contract With America, which should have read Contract With Rich America.

March 1, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  23. former hillary supporter. Jumping ship

i was for hillary but not anymore. she is in the way. her fall is inevitable. evacuate the titanic or you will fall with her.

March 1, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  24. Tanya, Chicago

Just to be clear, I am not a paid HRC staffer. I wish someone paid me for my views. I am just someone who is worried about the economy and the other issues mentioned in my post. Glad that I could make atleast few people think...

March 1, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  25. anthony

I am a 49 year old Democrat and have voted in numerous presidential elections.I consider myself very well educated and versed on many issues facing not only democrats but the country. I am very dismayed that suddenly 18 year olds are driving the focus of this campaign, a demographic that in the past has shown very little interest in the issues. I think Obama is a great campaigner, however it is not enough to vote for someone simply because they are young, give great speeches and seem to embody change. I am sure most people who are voting for Obama are doing so only because of the momentum his campaign has mustered regardless of whether they really know any substantive issues he proposes. Politics has become a popularity contest driven by the media.

March 1, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |