March 1st, 2008

Hillary Clinton expected to make surprise SNL appearance

(CNN) – Days before a crucial set of primaries, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton is expected to make a surprise appearance on Saturday Night Live tonight, an entertainment industry source tells CNN.

A spokesman for Saturday Night Live would not confirm the appearance, saying only, “It's a live show, anything can happen”

Clinton did not arrive for a campaign charter flight from Dallas to Columbus, Ohio Saturday evening. The campaign would not say where she was.

Democratic candidate Barack Obama appeared on Saturday Night Live unannounced around Halloween, and GOP candidate Mike Huckabee did a bit on the show’s Weekend Update last Saturday. Clinton is also scheduled to appear on John Stewart’s “Daily Show” Monday, on the eve of voting in Ohio, Texas, Rhode Island and Vermont.

–CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby contributed to this report

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Sue Butterfield

What a great woman she is . She has the greatness it takes to lead this wonderful country . She is a true leader .

March 1, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  2. Dalton

Clinton might actually say something funny. What are the odds?

March 1, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  3. dominic digiovanni

go hillary,SNL GIVES the fairest shot,CNN IS LEFTIST,ONE HUNDRED MILLION AMERICANS would send NETWORK to CUBA.i sick and tired ,and im not going to take it anymore.

March 1, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  4. deep_eye

Wow – that IS funny AND significant – uh-huh. SNL stopped being relevant about 10 years ago – could someone please fill Hill in? She's heady with new optimism, because Fey did a skit on Obama – great, just great! Yeah, you're presidential material – I sure want YOU answering that phone.

March 1, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  5. Byron in CA

Will be nice to see her on both and I'm sure America will be tuning in.

I suggest anyone that is a Hillary supporter just do what I do when you're tired of seeing all the pro obama post to come, with their angry hate and loathing of Clinton, (and though it's not all of them they have a high percentage from my observations), instead of reason with some thoughfull insight into their opinion.... Just scroll down to the next one till you find someone with something new to say on the subject. Go Hillary 2008 & 2012

March 1, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  6. Independent Voter

Nobody cares about Hillary any more. She is OLD news.

Nobody want a REPUGnican in the White House either.

To really clean house, we need Obama in November and a whole new House and Senate. Throw out ALL of those in office now. ALL of them!!!

Oh.. and CNN... you might check your spelling of the word "surprise" in this story's headline.

March 1, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  7. Sherry

I think it would be great to see Hillary On SNL. She is funny when she wants to be. I think SNL will love it too.
    She is also going to be on The Daily Show.

Hillary '08

March 1, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  8. dilmont

Not to be a stickler for accuracy or anything – but if something is expected, it is by definition NOT a surprise. It could be unpublicized. But it is NOT a surprise.

March 1, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  9. Damian

I think that's a good idea, talk show and late night show appearances do wonders for campaigns. I think this will give people a chance to see a more human Hillary that most know is there but not many have seen. Before the Ohio and Texas primary this might give her supporters an extra boost of enthusiasm to come out and support her.

March 1, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  10. Rene

Hmmmm! I wonder if she will cry again? But it's a comedy show so hopefully she'll know better.

I'm so sick of hearing about her so-called experience. Obama has more legislative experience than she does. Being a first lady does not qualify as experience.

If she's going to run the country the way she ran her campaign, we're in big trouble.

By the way, what about those tax returns? And what is she and Billo hiding that they won't release them?

March 1, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  11. Bill

Ill be watching. GO HILLARY...

March 1, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  12. PAUL

I LOVE ME SOME HILLARY. I CAN'T WAIT FOR HER TO BE IN THE WHITE HOUSE. NOT ONLY HAS SHE BEAT OBAMA, THE REPUBLICANS, BUT ALSO NEWS TV. NOW THATS A TOUGH LADY.

March 1, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  13. Jeff

IT IS GREAT NEWS THAT SHE WILL BE ON SNL AND THE DAILY SHOW.
    SHE NEEDS FOR THE FIRST TIME SOME POSITIVE PRESS.
    I WATCH CNN EVERY DAY AND I FND IT IS THE MOST BIASED COVERAGE I HAVE EVER SEEN.
    WOLF, ANDERSON AND THE LEADS ARE FAIRLY EVEN BUT IT IS ALL THE SO CALLED EXPERTS THAT EVERY ONE IS PRO OBAMA AND AGAINST HILLARY.

I HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO OBAMA.
    HE KEEPS SAYING HE WAS AGAINST THE WAR BEFORE HE WS IN THE SENATE. HE SAYS THAT INSTEAD OF GOING TO WAR IN IRAQ WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIGHTING ALQAIDA IN AFGANISTAN YET HE IS THE CHAIR ON AN OVER SIGHT COMMIITY ON AFGANISTAN YET HAS NEVER HELD A MEETING. IF HE FEELS THAT AFGANISTAN WAS THE IMPORTANT ISSUE WHY HAS HE DONE NOTHING. ONLY CRITISIZED HILLARY ON MAKING A DECISION WITH FAULTY INFORMATION.

WHY HAS THE PRESS AND CNN NOT MADE A HUGE DEAL OF THIS. WHY HAS CNN NOT MADE A BIGGER ISSUE OF HIS TIES TO HIS CHURCH AND HIS CHURCHES TIES TO FARICAN.
    WHY HAS THE PRESS SAID ALMOST NOTHING ABOUT OBAMAS WIFE SAYING IT IS THE FIRST TIME N HER ADULT LIFE TO BE AN AMERICAN. SHE TRIES TO SAY IT WAS TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT BY WHO THE MEDIA WHO FINDS ANY WAY TOPUT THEM AND THEIR WORDS IN A POSSITIVE LIGHT.

GO HILLARY AND WIN TEXAS, OHIO, RODE ISLAND, THEN TAKE PENSILVANIA

March 1, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  14. B. Smart

Please don't have her answering that phone.....

March 1, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  15. artseafartsea

Would love to see Hillary on SNL. It's about time she is getting some positive press from the media. I think all us thinking women who have and will be voting for her in November will be happy to see her.

March 1, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  16. Ashley

Free advertising...

Last ditch effort...

She needs it. Maybe she shouldn't have spent so much on donuts :)

She continues to show her "substance." Barack is on CSPAN talking issues and details and Hillary is going on SNL...

March 1, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  17. Trev

Yay, I will be watching! Obama will more than likely be in Canada. I still can't believe he pretended to be anti-NAFTA in Ohio, then had his people tell the Canadian government that his anti-NAFTA speeches were "just talk."

March 1, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  18. Michelle

I was just wondering something, on the debate this past Tuesday, when Tim Russert asked the foreign policy question about the Russian election on Sunday, he didn't pose that to a specific candidate, Obama looked straight away at Hillary like you take this one. He didn't know the answer, and she did, well she is the one I want answering that phone at 3am. With him in the White House I'm terrified with just the thought

CNN won't post this, I just needed to get it off my chest.

March 1, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  19. Bev from Canada

It seems that the candidates appear on Saturday Night Live whenever they are behind in the race for the nomination of their respective party's. Obama in November before the primaries and when everyone was predicting that Hillary would walk away with it. Huckabee who admits it will take a miracle to win the GOP nomination. And now Hillary Clinton hoping that an appearance on SNL will help her in her battle.

March 1, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  20. Please

It will be over by March 4th. Thank you God!!!

March 1, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  21. Jan

Hillary Clinton is going to be speaking at my high school in Austintown, Ohio tomorrow at 3 pm. When her robo-call went out for invitations it got the name of the high school WRONG!!! instead of FITCH High School ... they called it FIRCH High School. Thanks you putz campaign idiots for not even getting the name of my high school right. CNN you never post my comments - how about posting this one -

March 1, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  22. Not Her

Sounds as if she see's the folks of Columbus as Cattle. Not important enought to keep a date with. Hummmm?!?!?!

March 1, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  23. Natalie NJ

hey maybe they will do a skit on what BILL will be doing around the White House if Hillary should become President

March 1, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  24. s.positive

Ohio has already rejected her and her clan...

March 1, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  25. Chuck

Comment posted by Jan:March 1st, 2008 9:04 pm ET

Hillary Clinton is going to be speaking at my high school in Austintown, Ohio tomorrow at 3 pm. When her robo-call went out for invitations it got the name of the high school WRONG!!! instead of FITCH High School … they called it FIRCH High School. Thanks you putz campaign idiots for not even getting the name of my high school right. CNN you never post my comments — how about posting this one —

Don't feel bad. Obama called the Bearcats (Cinn. U) the Bobcats at a rally this week.

March 1, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |