March 1st, 2008

Huckabee visits Mexican border

Huckabee is campaigning in Texas prior to the state's March 4 primary.
Huckabee is campaigning in Texas prior to the state's March 4 primary.

LAREDO, Texas (CNN) – Saturday morning, Mike Huckabee took a trip to the border he talks about securing at every campaign stop.

Standing on the Northern bank of the Rio Grande in Laredo, Texas, Huckabee looked across to Mexico as a Border Patrol officer briefed him on the efforts being undertaken to stop illegal immigration.

Huckabee, a strong proponent of building a fence along the Southern border, told reporters that it was not about keeping people out, but keeping bad people out. He gave examples of drug and human traffickers as well as terrorists.

“I don’t resent that people want to come here, I’ve always said I thank God every day I’m in a country people are trying to break into, not in a country they’re trying to break out of,” said Huckabee, flanked by Chuck Norris and Rep. Duncan Hunter who has built a fence in his Southern California district.

As the former Arkansas governor tries to drum up support among conservatives just days before the Texas primary, illegal immigration is one of the issues Huckabee has repeatedly used to differentiate himself from frontrunner John McCain.

He almost never mentions McCain by name but in Lubbock on Friday, Huckabee said he’s the only candidate who believes the borders should be secured, as opposed to “wholesale amnesty.”

Asked Saturday if McCain’s position on immigration was too soft, Huckabee refused to answer, “I’m not going to characterize his position because I think that’s not really a healthy thing for me to get into.”

Instead, he reiterated that a border fence favors immigrants who have waited patiently for their legal status and helps fight the “assumption that everyone who is here with some Hispanic background is here illegally. That’s wrong, and that should never happen in the United States of America.”

– CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: Immigration • Mike Huckabee • Texas
  1. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

This pathetic little Bible-thumper is so right about immigration, while almost everyone else in politics is so out of touch with the clear majority of American citizens who favor strict law enforcement and no rewards for butting in line ahead of thousands of others who choose to obey our laws.

March 1, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  2. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

Two questions: how many "terrorists" have come over the US/Mexican boarder? Not illegal aliens, not criminals, but terrorists.

Raise your hand if you remember that the terrorists who destroyed the Twin Towers on September 11th were in the country legally.

Talk about amnesty, talk about people being here illegally but lets keep the facts straight.

March 1, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  3. Deborah

I am so tired hearing that Hillary is more experienced in foreign afares.
    She wasn't born knowing these things, before she got to where she is today, she had to work through things.
    Obama, can't get experience if he isn't given the chance/
    Condalisa has more experience in deplomatic travels than Hillary.
    She can't get anything dirt on Obama, so she has to stoop to a low level and talk about his name and the lack of experience.
    Well it is time for a change, the ones that have been in the white house are the ones that put us in the position that we are in today.
    I am 60 years old and I have never seen times as bad as they are now.
    Now don't get me wrong, our national security is important but we have some serious problems with our economy. Frankly, I think that we are heading for a (depresson). And Bush didn't know that the gas was heading towards 4.00/gal.
    We have wasted too much money in this war, and we need to stop telling other countries how to run their afairs and start taking care of our own.

March 1, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  4. Trenton Sims, Los Angeles

STOP the automatic Birth Right to American Citizenship. Stop the Tears..

If it were Repealed, then families would not get separated. If those now living as US citizens simply because they're illegal undocumented mother gave birth to them here... were not automatically considered US Citizens..many of the Tragic separations couldn't ever occur.
    And all the bleeding hearts could stop their crying..

Examples:
    The Illegal father of the dead hispanic soldier wouldn't have never lost his son to War if he was not wrongfully given U.S. citizenship at his birth. He would still be alive somewhere. Plus he the father himself would not be facing deportation if he wasn't here Illegally. They could all have stayed or now return home, a little belatedly; but the son would have never have been a G.I. & also still alive.

The Wife of the Young Hispanic Sailor wouldn"t be faced with deportation and having to consider leaving behind her baby who should never have been granted U.S. citizenship here along with the Sailor husband that never should have been a U.S. citizen and therefore never a US Sailor. They could all have remainde home and stayed and together.

These and other tragic separations, loss of life etc., can easily be illiminated and prevented in the Future..
    Firstly, Repeal this automatic Birth-right part of our Immigration laws. Secondly, get in line for citizenship Or stay home.

This will make it very difficult for these types of tear jerking separations to occur in the future.
    So much for all the "bleeding Heart" garbage... What are you and I feeling sorry about?
    Being American was not their fate nor their right. Be careful what you wish for. Even if its wishing to be American.. because your not.

I resent you trying to take a 'Piggy-Back" ride on the Black Americans Civil Rights Battles, and our Sacrifices of Life, Limb, Blood and Tears.

March 1, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  5. Lisa Lee Erikson

Although I am supporting Senator Obama, Mr Huckabee is my second favorite...this man knows how to balance budgets and prioritize the right directions...I know it's impossible but these two men together, could really bring back the American dream which under the avarice and greed oriented administration is slowly turning into the great American nightmare. I so want our leaders to revere our wonderful Constitution and not abuse the rights of privilege.

March 1, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  6. earl illingsworth

Just one statement I heard today from the, "Walmart Country Governor,STOOGE"! We don't want to stop regular folks from coming, and going, but only the "Bad Ones"? Definitely ,Presidential material!!! It's not about Hillary, so you got to post? Ha! Ha!

March 1, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  7. Anthony Lucas

I just hope Huckabee can turn this around I don't want a democrat the whitehouse and I think McCain will take the country down the same path as Bush. the news media needs to help I mean there allot of negitive around McCain he's not a true conservitive and now he is at home this weekend,he wont debate Huckabee what's the problem. Huckabee isn't stopping so why is McCain to old or just don't care?

March 1, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  8. Ennis, LA

Let's see...Hucksterbee says he thanks God every day he lives
    in a country people are trying to break into, rather than one people
    are trying to escape. Isn't that like saying I like drinking acid cause
    at least its not urine? What a clown. No wonder he got 11% of my
    state's vote last month. With friends like him we don't need any
    enemies. Too bad he just couldn't keep going when he visited
    the border and went further south. Then our gain will be Mexico's
    loss.