March 3rd, 2008

Blitzer: Could Florida's Republican governor help Clinton?

Will Florida vote again?
Will Florida vote again?

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Florida’s Republican governor, Charlie Crist, tells me he’s ready to let the Democrats hold another primary in his state if necessary to allow Florida delegates have a say at the Democratic Convention in Denver at the end of the summer. Right now, the Democratic National Committee has prohibited Florida from seating those delegates because the state moved up its primary against party rules. (The same is true for the Democrats in Michigan.)

But now, Crist says he would be ready to let the state organize another round of voting for the Democrats if that’s what they want and need. That is significant because state primaries are paid for by the taxpayers; state caucuses, which had been suggested by some Democrats as a compromise solution that would allow the state’s delegates to be seated, are paid for by the parties.

The whole question of seating the Florida and Michigan delegates, of course, would become moot if Hillary Clinton were to drop out of the race. But if she does well Tuesday in Rhode Island, Vermont, Ohio and Texas, the race will continue to Pennsylvania on April 22 and maybe even longer – perhaps all the way to the convention in Denver.

Under that scenario, both the pledged and superdelegates from Florida and Michigan could be critical.

When it comes to an election re-do, Hillary Clinton’s campaign would strongly prefer primaries as opposed to caucuses. That’s because Barack Obama has had a clear advantage when it comes to caucus results.

So in effect, Crist would be doing her campaign a huge favor by authorizing another primary in Florida. The same, by the way, would be true if Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm did the same thing in her state.

Democratic Party Chairman Howard Dean would love his party’s nominating process to wrap up long before the convention. He and other party leaders fear a prolonged and bitter Democratic fight would hurt the eventual party nominee, especially because the likely Republican nominee, John McCain, would be able to spend that time rallying the Republican base.

All fascinating political scenarios - but first, let’s see what happens Tuesday.

– CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Jason

so many replublicans in here, who want Hillary Clinton to win on the democratic side so they can when in the fall. The old divid and conquer trick, and for all u people talking about the REZICO THING, I GUESS U FORGOT THE HE GAVE MONEY TO THE CLINTONS. THEY NEVER GIVE THE MONEY BACK.

March 3, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  2. A.M. Saqib

It is hard to swallow the success of 'Obama', and that is why there is a constant worry and effort to somehow slow down his momentum. But the fcat of the matter is that more he gets the exposure the more he succeeds. If that is what she wants, then 'Come on to Florida'.

Tomorrow night will tell all of us, a lot....Go 'Obama', go!

March 3, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  3. Jesus Christ

Obama, rise up and voice your nonsupport for the anti-gay, angry christian marriage amendment in Florida! Hillary wouldn't take the risk and that is why everybody loves you. Good luck tomorrow Obama!

March 3, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  4. Paula

Hillary won the most populous states up to now and she will do well tomorrow. She should be the nominee. If Florida and Michigan counted today she would be over the top by 330 delegates. Obamanation would be so manana. He is too inexperienced, too slick, has the wrong people supporting him and will say anything to get elected. I guess why I can see where everyone thinks he is going to be a huge change to the political landscape – NOT! If Obamanation wins then I vote for big John and so does everyone one else I know.

March 3, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  5. Malcolm

Yes, Florida had record turnout for its early primaries. However, at issue is the fact that both candidates did not campaign and make their case to the people of Florida. It doesn't matter if the entire state of Florida voted in the Democratic primary because if you don't have the data to make an informed decision it remains an uninformed decision. The people of Florida need to have campaigning and debates by the candidates on their soil. Every single poll taking in this primary season has indicated that Sen. Clinton initially polls ahead by at least 20 points based solely on name-recognition UNTIL there is active campaigning by the candidates in that state. It's a trend that is measurable and has been verified in practically every state that has had a primary contest to date. Therefore it is CLEAR that without candidates being on the ground to make their case in the state, you have a poorly informed electorate and thus have an invalid election.
    As we've seen with so many issues in this nation lately, for example the mortage crisis, proper information is critical to make an informed decision. If you had asked those people hurting from the mortage mess if they would have preferred to have learned the FULL details, pros and cons about the loans, etc., they were taking out BEFORE they signed their lives away instead of the "only good news" information they got, they would all tell you yes! And was the problem with the Florida vote – it turned into a name recognition contest rather than being based on substantive discussion of the issues. Sure, there were the more astute voters that did the research. However, I would argue that many of those astute voters would have realized their votes would not count because of the DNC penalties and would have stayed at home as a result.
    Dragging out the decision for the Dem presidential nominee actually hurts the eventual nominee and perhaps that is the motivation for Crist's offer (he endorse McCain) I don't know. But WHATEVER the DNC decides to do, they need to do it quickly!!

March 3, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  6. Belle

OF COURSE FLORIDA SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO VOTE!!!
    AND MICHIGAN!!!!!

Perhaps the LEADERS that are "SUPPOSED" to listen to the people, might start paying attention!!!!!

1.5+MILLION VOTERS IN FLORIDA.

Obama ran Television ads DURING THE TIME THERE WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE CAMPAIGNING!!!

Clinton WENT TO CELEBRATE AFTER the polls closed Obama fans, NOT before....only Obama claimed that was a foul....Talk about twisting the facts....

If you count Florida's Delegates and Michigan's...well...who's ahead then, Obama fans? A leader that can take ALL of the crap thrown at her, still stay focused on finding Solutions for All Americans, and still show up for HER Committee Chairs...

Funny how Obama discounts everything...EVEN FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN

March 3, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  7. Linda Li

When rules don't work for the Clintons, the Clintons change the rules.

I had nothing against Clinton at the beginning of this campaign. Now, after all this idiocy she's pulled off, I'm really beginning to wonder.

I'd rather vote for Huckabee than vote for her, and I'd rather shoot myself than vote for Huckabee.

March 3, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  8. Kenneth

I don't ever remember seeing a report or memo that has not exactly displayed the truth. We are all so accustomed to believing everything we here even if it's 3rd or 4th hand information. Hillary is so desperate to win the election; she would Kill Bill if it would get her elected. I'm sure she is thinking most about the well being of America and her party which is why she would tear the party apart by suing to have the Florida delegates submitted. I can't wait to se what dirt she digs up next, because Obama is being so unfair by sticking to the issues vice pointing out that Clinton's are currently being sued and that she had to bring back over 200k of furniture that she mistakedly took/stole from the white house. I guess we can't really get away from the politics of bringing people down in order to lift ourselves up, because it's helped so far. Please fall victim to the negative campaigning and fear mongering. It really has helped us to have a president who means the best for the American people and was not all about winning the election for the personal gain of themselves and their cronies. Oh just in case you didn't figure it out, this was sarcasm at its best!

March 3, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  9. Lorraine

I'm so saddened to see how divided my fellow bloggers are. You guys are really making it challenging for Obama to "bring people together". Anyway, while you are all rip each other apart I'll just add this, which is intended to be food for thought. Currently, I'm unemployed due to being layed off. I'm seeking advice from you all. When I go on interviews, do you think I should pretend, or possibly down play my experience? After all, I have about 20 years combined. Or do you think I should go in and just be inspirational, convey to the employer the hope I have to make changes in the company without blatant regard to what's in place now? Do you think this approach will help me land a job? After all, I', pretty cute, so maybe, I get it!! be cute, inspire the interviewer, and beat him/her over the head about my desire for change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S IT!! I GOT IT>>>>WILL KEEP U POSTED ON MY SUCCESS!!!

March 3, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  10. lil P

Isn't it Obama and mama Oprah the ones that say every vote should count and "yes we can"???? Obama supporters say rules are rules and the the delegates shouldn't be seated, then don't be suprised when the superdelegates choose the nomine, hey RULES ARE RULES, RIGHT? Don't whine then...

March 3, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |