March 3rd, 2008

Clinton goes after Obama's chairmanship in new ad

Clinton is launching new ads in Texas and Ohio Monday.
Clinton is launching new ads in Texas and Ohio Monday.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton hit Texas and Ohio airwaves Monday with two new television spots, including one that goes after Barack Obama for not holding any oversight hearings since becoming chairman of a Senate Foreign Relations subcommittee.

"Barack Obama says he has the judgment to be president, but as chairman of an oversight committee charged with the force of fighting al Qaeda in Afghanistan, he was too busy running for president to hold even one hearing," an announcer says in a 30-second Texas ad called "True."

"Hillary Clinton will never be too busy to defend our national security, bringing our troops home from Iraq and pursuing Al Qaeda in Afghanistan," the announcer also says.

Clinton first criticized Obama over his chairmanship of a subcommittee on Europe at last week's MSNBC debate.

'"It has jurisdiction over NATO. NATO is critical to our mission in Afghanistan," she said then. "He's held not one substantive hearing to do oversight, to figure out what we can do to actually have a stronger presence with NATO in Afghanistan."

Obama responded that he became chairman of that committee in January 2007, just as his presidential campaign was launching.

Clinton also went up with a new 30-second ad in Ohio on Monday called "Partner," in which she highlights the state's economic downturn and says she will fight for working families.

"The wealthy and the well-connected have had a president. It's time the middle class had a president who will stand up for you," Clinton says in that ad.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Ohio • Texas
  1. Robert

Its about time that Obama is held accountable for his inexperience. Come on Obama people, wake up !!

March 3, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  2. Cecil

Hello America; before she voted.

I can't beleive that Sen. Clinton didn't read the National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq before she voted in 2002 to authorize the president to use military force against Saddam Hussein.
    Very poor Judgement!

She had time to read it, but choose the lazy way out. 'Just Brief Me" What if this was a vote to drop an atom bomb at a later date.
    Just Brief Me, I would hope not.

What a great leader she would make. Doesn't bother to read the important stuff. Then says President Bush lied about the Report. When did she read it.

I think this is very shameful.

Obama 08

March 3, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  3. Kay

To all the people who plan on voting during this Presidentail Election.
    Here are just 2 thoughts:
    1. Is there anything Barack Obama can be criticized on with it being considered "racial" or "desparate" by his opponent? The only thing that cannot be criticized I think is God and if Obama is a messiah than you guys are right. He is the most perfect human being on this planet. He only employs people who have worked for lobbyists that's why he can't be influenced by lobbyists? Anyone care, even CNN, to research this?
    2. Why are some of the Democratic party establishment ready to call this race over so soon? Are they just trying to avoid their own decison making if this race should come down to superdelegates. I thought America was where all "men" are created equal and everyone should go for the American dream. Right, the phrase is "men", there is no reference to "women" in the US Constitution.

March 3, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  4. Rob,NC

The question really is, how much has Hillary really done since launching her campaign? I am concerned though about the situation with the Candadian-NAFTA thing. I am an Obama supporter, so my hope is that this is just some "right-wing" smear tactic, but I have a feeling there is more substance here, so the only hope is that this Obama staffer was speaking on his own accord and not reflecting the view of Obama himself, but its not very good news for Obama.

March 3, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  5. F

Desperate people do desperate things. Her ad is a waste of money. Every one in their right minds knows that the candidates for president are on the road, including the same Hillary. To come up with this is desperate as desperate goes. Texas, Ohio, Vermont, RhodeIsland, please end this mess for her.

March 3, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  6. belle

Obama should have declined the position and let someone who had the time take it on so that things got done. I guess it looked too good on his resume, though.

March 3, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  7. peggy

I have questions about the drug history that was on a show about 2008 decisions that gave the life history of the canidates. the questionsn came up on Obama's drug history, which he freely admits to as a teenager and a young person, but my questions are on which drugs. The reason for the questions are different drugs have different long term side effects even after one has been treated and gone into a drug-free state. I am concerned as even a lowly soldier or Airman is put through a regimen on their history if in the military. Then why is it not just as important to know this information on an individual who may be the commander in chief of those services some day. Please investigate and provide the information to the public like myself.

March 3, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  8. Allan Camden, SC

I suppose Sen. Clinton didn't miss any votes either! What's gotten into CNN? Hillary's complaints must have gotten to you. I didn't think you were biased in favor of Obama, but you certainly seem to have shifted your tone in the past week.

March 3, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  9. Belle

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

I have done some things in life, I am not proud of....but I admitted I was wrong, apologized and tried to make it right where I could...and moved on...

Mr. Obama "JUSTIFIED" running for President for NOT HOLDING ONE D___ MEETING FOR 13 MONTHS!!!

Mrs. Clinton also heads a Senate Subcommittee....yet she MANAGED to Chair TWO meetings in the same time frame, show up to cast her vote in the Senate, go to the Black State of the Union, Attend a Funeral of a fallen officer in the line of dutry, and Criss cross the country campaigning.

Sorry Mr. Obama....I'd RATHER have a President that BELIEVES SHE CAN AND DOES!

March 3, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  10. Sue, NY

I have said it before and I will say it again....When all of the candidates are campaigning every day for so many months which one of them is actaully getting any senatorial work done for our country. She has no leg to stand on this one....she is in the same "not doing anything" boat.

March 3, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  11. yoshi927

I find it insulting that people who think drivel like this actually means something are telling me to "wake up".

March 3, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  12. AK

Mcain is dying for Obama to win so he can can make a clean sweep across America. We need Hillary to beat Mcain. Is America that blind to see that if Obama wins Texas and/or Ohio and Hillary pulls out, that an Obama candidate for President will lose to John Mcain. 4 more years of the Bush style Whitehouse! We will be in serious trouble. Wake up America, at a minimum, wake up Texas and Ohio and vote Hillary.

March 3, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  13. Joan

After watching the Cleveland debate where Hillary said "Whhhy do I always get the first question?? (poor baby) I can really relate to the 3am phone call in the White House "Whhhy do I get the first call"

Just remember she can say anything today and she probably will. What does she have to lose!! Go Barack!!!

March 3, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  14. Suzette

Hillary,
    has missed several Senate sessions while out on the campaign trail. She has stooped to a new low. I will not vote for Hillary in the general election under any circumstance. I am an independent who was planning to vote the democratic ticket this fall, however, if my choice is Hillary or McCain, I choose McCain. Enough with the Clinton desperate sceams. She needs to stop the foolishness for the sake of the party!

March 3, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  15. Cecil

Sen.Hillary Clinton, Please what an insult. You of All People.

Obama 08

March 3, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  16. Mark

Yes, and let's check Hillary's record as well..... I believe she too may have been out on the campaign trail this year as well.

Oh by the way, Hillary, have you had time yet to disclose your tax returns prior to Tuesday's primaries, or is Bill too busy to release his White House papers?

Seems to me the American people d not need to wake-up to yet another Clinton "smoking gun" on Wednesday, March 5th, dupped by lack of knowledge as to the possible sources of funding for your campaign and whether "behind the scenes" you were indeed supporting NAFTA or other unpopular issues while waiting for the phone to ring at 3:00 am.

Come clean – we deserve good governance, transparency and integrity back in the White House.

Yes We Do. Yes We Can.

March 3, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  17. Anna N.

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 3, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  18. Hillary supporter

So, Obama didn't vote for the war. OK, Hillary was wrong in this vote,. But – is this a fair comparison? NO – Obama wasn't in a position to vote in the first place! I"m so sick of 'right on Day 1'. A fair comparison would be Kucinich vs. Clinton. This just shows Obama's lack of experience. Hillary, good luck tomorrow!!!

HILLARY 08!!!!!!!

March 3, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  19. Landers

The more I learn about Obama and hear his intolerable speeches the more I'm sick of him.

I voted for Clinton twice, Gore and Kerry once but will never vote for Barak Obama.

March 3, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  20. Andrew

When I elect a leader, I want someone with a keen knowledge of foreign affairs. Thats why I support Hillary Clinton. Hillary Clinton, the candidate smart enough to say "NO" to maps, the candidate that knows Afghanistan is in Europe, not Asia.

March 3, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  21. John in PA

All of these calls for Hillary to drop out because she can't "legally win" are absolutely hilarious. In case you haven't noticed, to "legally win" the nomination, you need 2,025 delegates. Obama would have to win somewhere around 80% of the remaining delegates to attain that number. Thus, your argument can be used against you. In fact, Obama should drop out because he can't "legally win" the nomination. Seems to me self-doubt has crept deep within the Obama camp, and they are now getting desperate. Hillary has sharpened her attacks, and he has no answers. What do you think McCain and the Republican attack machine are going to do to this lightweight? This ain't nothing people.

March 3, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  22. Betawny

What about BEFORE the campaign. He never bothered to hold a hearing BEFORE. And sorry, it is still mathematically possible for Hillary to win.

Go Hill

March 3, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  23. sad

If Obama is going to claim that he is the change we can all believe in, then he needs to be able to support those claims. Not holding hearings, opposing the war before he was an elected senator with "no skin in the game" is hardly proof. If you had spent 35 years working for America and you were very close in delegate leads with supporters who still strongly support your candidacy would you walk away? And, finally, Hillary Clinton is the result of women's civil rights in America and she is the first and best qualified woman to ever run for office. She has earned her place in this election.

March 3, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  24. Casey, Atlanta

Hillary is doing well to sharpen the contrast. She's campaigning to win, but I do believe – I hope- if and when it becomes evident that she is going to lose that she will graciously congratulate the winner and concede.

March 3, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  25. junglejim123

Great Ad Hillary. nothing but the truth...always off running his mouth and giving speeches but never there to vote or HOLD HEARINGS. Afghanistan is too important to ignore. The terrorists who committed 9-11 are hiding here and they need to be found – something Bushie seems to have forgotten. Then we have OBAMMY who is too busy TALKING to do anything. How did this Rezko- financed chain smoking moron get this far ?? Go back to chicago and smoke your crack with Oprah.

March 3, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |