March 3rd, 2008

Clinton: I'm 'just getting warmed up'

Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.
Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.

BEAUMONT, Texas (CNN) – Hillary Clinton told reporters Monday she is “just getting warmed up” as she campaigned through Ohio and Texas on the eve of primaries that could determine the outcome of the Democratic race for president.

“I think I know what’s happening and I believe we’re going to do well,” she told reporters before a rally in Toldeo, Ohio. When asked how she would “measure success” from the outcome of tomorrow’s contests Clinton replied “winning, winning, winning, that’s my measure of success.”

Clinton said she would take her message on to “Pennsylvania and states ahead,” a proclamation neither she nor her aides have made much since Senator Barack Obama won 11 February contests in a row.

The New York senator remained mainly positive during her first two stops of the day, jettisoning much of the tough rhetoric from over the weekend about Obama’s lack of readiness to be commander-in-chief. Instead she referenced her “lifetime of experience” and pointed to the various endorsements she enjoys from former military officers as examples of why she is primed to occupy the Oval Office.

“They believe they would be well served if I were commander-in-chief, taking care of our sons and daughters,” she told voters in Beaumont jammed in an airport hangar. “...I know we face real threats in the world and you never know when that phone is going to ring at 3 a.m. in the White House. I believe I’m ready to answer that phone.”

When asked by a reporter what specific experience she has had that would make her ready to answer that phone call at 3 a.m., Clinton said, “let me say this - until you’re the president there is no comparison but I have been deeply involved in foreign policy decisions.”

–CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. John Z.

I like Hillary's campaign style of late and think that she should have used it earlier in the campaign. It isn't negative campaigning but merely emphasizing the difference between her and Obama on the issue of experience, which many seem to be clueless to because they are so dazzled by Obama's rhetoric. But I, for one, think that it takes more to be president than being young, bright and idealistic.

March 3, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  2. Chris

Latinos unite for Hillary. Let's support her tommorow here in Texas.

March 3, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  3. Joe

3:00 am Phone call. At least Hillary will answer the phone. Obama will let the answering machine get it and then spend the next 3 months claiming he would have been right if he had answered the phone. We need a President, not a monday morning quarterback.

March 3, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  4. issy davis

It amazes me how Hillary has come out with all the accusations 24 hrs until Ohio. For all the Hillary Supporters out there take a hard look at who you are defending and the tone your bloggers carry in all these conversations do we really want the United states of America ran by someone who turns the page so quickly and forgets her own downfalls? Sounds like a Female Bush. Senator Obama could bring up alot of crooked deals by the Clintons and remind America of the time and tax dollars wasted by the first Clinton Administration. Look at how their campaigns have been run. Hillary has changed her slogan 5-6 times, her campaign workers are in disarray, and she ran out of money. That should be a pretty good example of how the country will be run by her. People fighting, money wasted, tearing people down because they don't always agree with you and last but not least making bad decision after bad decision then pretending it never happened. I think there will be an Ohio surprise in favor of Obama. Don't forget he is the one who brought the issue to the table because he recognizes there is a problem when Ohioans are losing jobs by the hundreds of thousands. the Clinton campaign is once again disstracting the media and voters from the issue.

March 3, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  5. James Redding

One thing I can say about Senator Clinton, she's a formidable opponent for John McCain. The latest poll for General Election, McCain is +5 against Obama and +3 against Clinton.

What makes Hillary formidable and electable this November, EVERYTHING there is to know about Hillary is already known to the American people. There is NOTHING the Republican National Committee can dig up about Hillary, the American people doesn't know. In the 90's the GOP spent over $40 millions to investigate the Clintons (Bill & Hillary), nothing came out of it.

I am truly amused some people has the notion Obama will survive the GOP Shredder; case in point REZKO. Obama will be called to testify as a WITNESS and that will come. He has not been vetted, there are many anomalies with Obama the media has not been talking about, he has a free ride.

If you don't want another Republican in the Whitehouse, vote for Hillary Clinton; make the wrong choice, you'll have another Republican Whitehouse.

March 3, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  6. Ozz

Of all the money Clinton spending on Commercials, why didn't she just send it to me so I can pay off my DOCTOR bills, and pay of my credit cards?

Negitave Commercials don't work... If people don't like you they will not vote for you.

People vote for who they like, along with the messages they send out.

As for the Senator in the red dress out of Ohio, you know who you are? The same thing that Dr. King fight for all of his life is now right at your front door knocking. Open the door please??????? And you just shut it right in Dr. king face. What is it? Are you one of those woman who just believed in Woman LIB??? If Woman should just vote for woman, I think Men should just vote for men too. This is for all the men of Ohio voting on Tuesday: Go out and vote for the GENTLEMAN to become the next PRESIDENT of this country.

Shame on the lady in the red dress. Obama will win all 4 state on Tuesdaay by a landslide. Hang your head in shame after that?

LA, CA.
    ...

March 3, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  7. MD Democrat

GO FOR IT HILLARY!!! Fight on to the very end because America needs you. OBAMA IS JUST A TREND AND A DIVERSION.

HILLARY CLINTON IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN BEAT THE REPUBLICAN NOMINEE!!!

Obama takes his cheap shots at Hillary until she strikes back. Then he and the media try to make it seem like Hillary is the negative one. The Obama campaign and most of the media are just plain sneaky and underhanded.

March 3, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  8. GGamma

Well, after I read many of these comments I see some people saying Obama is just talk, the truth and reality is that you got two roads, one is telling you lies and most of all about me and the other is telling you what is right and what is making sense to you, if you think about it and have watch these all twenty debates and arguments.

March 3, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  9. Roxy

I'm just soooooo happy to see all these important issues such as Obama's real stance on free trade and dealings with con Tony Razco come to light today . I guess the honeymoon is over! Wake up America! This man is not who he says he is!!!! He claims to be so detached from all Washington stands for! And now his own actions, not the media or the Clinton Camp but his own record comes back to haunt him.

Even if these things would have not come to light today, are we really that naive and delusional as Americans to waste our vote on a man who thinks he can sit down and have a conversation with Hugo Chavez??!!!! Is our judgement that badly impaired?

Finally, an important question to all of us: Why are we so ready to hand over the key to our home to a complete stranger?

March 3, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |