March 3rd, 2008

Clinton: I'm 'just getting warmed up'

Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.
Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.

BEAUMONT, Texas (CNN) – Hillary Clinton told reporters Monday she is “just getting warmed up” as she campaigned through Ohio and Texas on the eve of primaries that could determine the outcome of the Democratic race for president.

“I think I know what’s happening and I believe we’re going to do well,” she told reporters before a rally in Toldeo, Ohio. When asked how she would “measure success” from the outcome of tomorrow’s contests Clinton replied “winning, winning, winning, that’s my measure of success.”

Clinton said she would take her message on to “Pennsylvania and states ahead,” a proclamation neither she nor her aides have made much since Senator Barack Obama won 11 February contests in a row.

The New York senator remained mainly positive during her first two stops of the day, jettisoning much of the tough rhetoric from over the weekend about Obama’s lack of readiness to be commander-in-chief. Instead she referenced her “lifetime of experience” and pointed to the various endorsements she enjoys from former military officers as examples of why she is primed to occupy the Oval Office.

“They believe they would be well served if I were commander-in-chief, taking care of our sons and daughters,” she told voters in Beaumont jammed in an airport hangar. “...I know we face real threats in the world and you never know when that phone is going to ring at 3 a.m. in the White House. I believe I’m ready to answer that phone.”

When asked by a reporter what specific experience she has had that would make her ready to answer that phone call at 3 a.m., Clinton said, “let me say this - until you’re the president there is no comparison but I have been deeply involved in foreign policy decisions.”

–CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Bill

Keep fighting Hillary. America needs a fighter and your our best hope to clean up the mess we have had from the last 8 years.

Hillary 08

March 3, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  2. Robert

Hillary – it's 3AM and the phone rings. . . .Do you know where your husband is?

March 3, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  3. Julia

Atta girl.

March 3, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  4. Paul

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT!
    HILLARY PRESIDENTE!

You are the most qualified candidate at this time to lead and guide our nation towards success.

May God bless you and your administration as President of the United States of America!

March 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  5. Nate in Mpls

“winning, winning, winning, that’s my measure of success.”

???

She just makes it SO easy!

March 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  6. Bill W

When I go to the doctor, I want the one who can do the job – not the one who says she should be my doctor because she was married to a doctor.

Being married to a president does not make one qualified to be president.

If the Clintons are elected, and the phone rings at 3 am: Bill will be out with a blonde and Hillary will let the answering machine get it because she will be afraid to make a decision without taking a poll first.

March 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  7. Thomas

I love the last line. In other words, I also really don't have any experience but if I tell you enough times that I do then maybe you will believe it.

March 3, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  8. Sara

OBAMA 2008!!! Hopefully she will bow out gracefully tomorrow.

March 3, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  9. John

LOL she is foolin herself. When she realises the inevitable she gonna go mad because she's power hungry watch and see.

March 3, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  10. Jayson

When a block of ice warms up it melts and I doubt that you want to melt do you?

All jokes aside you do have to give Hillary credit for actually having plans even if they are stupid ones.

March 3, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  11. Ed

No matter what happens tomorrow HIllary Clinton has made history and should be respected as one of the most influential women in politics in US history:

1. First First Lady to seek and attain political office.

2. First woman to ever win a major party primary.

3. First woman to ever have a real chance in earning her parties nomination.

Like her or not, she has and will continue to make history regardless of the outcome of tomorrow's primaries. For that she will always have my utmost respect.

March 3, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  12. Stay Home

Hillary keep dropping news dropping to dicredited Obama and still get away with it.

March 3, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  13. Jay

just keep it civil. no more negative attacks on both sides

March 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  14. Rick

Just getting warmed up??? The campaign has been going on for a year now. Will it take her that long to get warmed up to a 3AM call?

March 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  15. Nic, San Francisco

Yeah we know you are Hillary! Keep the hate and division flowing, and you are sure to damage the party before the general election.

March 3, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  16. Sylvester

Democrats cannot afford a fight all the way to the convention. There comes a time when selfish interests must be put aside in favor of the greater good. If the Republicans were still contesting their primaries, then Sen. Clinton should continue her bid. But, this is not the case. Republicans have pretty much settled their contest. On Wednesday morning, whoever is behind in the democratic race should just step down and let the party unify.

March 3, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  17. barry

I am not for Hillary or Obama, but it is so clear to me that Hillary is the stronger candidate.

March 3, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  18. Markus

When asked by a reporter what specific experience she has had that would make her ready to answer that phone call at 3 a.m., Clinton said, “let me say this — until you’re the president there is no comparison but I have been deeply involved in foreign policy decisions.”

Great non-answer.

March 3, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  19. Farrell, Houston, Tx

HILLARY IS IN BED WITH THE REPUBLICANS, SHE IS NOT APPEALING TO DEMOCRAT VOTERS. THE ONLY THING SHE IS "BLOODING UP" IS THE DEMOCRAT PARTY AND EMBOLDING THE REPUBLICANS. THE DNC NEEDS TO STRONGLY ADVISE HILLARY OR DECLARE HERSELF NO LONGER A DEMOCRAT.

March 3, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  20. Audrey, San Francisco

"I'm just getting warmed up" ???

What happened to "Ready on Day One" ?

March 3, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  21. Rich in Seattle

Nooooooooooooooooooo..................

I reject and denounce this!!! She's turning into the bad girlfriend who doesn't get the hint that it's over.

March 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  22. Roy

There are occasions when you must have a mentaly very solid president who will be able to make difficult decisions of her/his own. What if Iran and Hezbollah unexpectedly is invading Israel? Hillary Clinton has proven to be a strong woman how can handle extremely severe problems – in public service and privately. This very important and essentially positive quality should have been given more attention in the press and by many Americans. On the contrary many Americans including the press have treated her very unfair. Now doubt Omaba has been nursed like a darling favorite. To me Clinton appears to be very persistent (absolutely not whining) while Barack Obama seems to be somewhat loudmouthed.
    European

March 3, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  23. LatinoNation

hmmm maybe we shoud say Obama give up and get out ?? like Obama people say :)

March 3, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  24. Uncle Sam

11 straight losses, and she's just getting warmed up?
    Only in America...

March 3, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  25. Darth Vadik, CA

Oh yeah,

Don't worry, Obama will cool you off tomorrow.

March 3, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |