March 3rd, 2008

Clinton: I'm 'just getting warmed up'

Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.
Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.

BEAUMONT, Texas (CNN) – Hillary Clinton told reporters Monday she is “just getting warmed up” as she campaigned through Ohio and Texas on the eve of primaries that could determine the outcome of the Democratic race for president.

“I think I know what’s happening and I believe we’re going to do well,” she told reporters before a rally in Toldeo, Ohio. When asked how she would “measure success” from the outcome of tomorrow’s contests Clinton replied “winning, winning, winning, that’s my measure of success.”

Clinton said she would take her message on to “Pennsylvania and states ahead,” a proclamation neither she nor her aides have made much since Senator Barack Obama won 11 February contests in a row.

The New York senator remained mainly positive during her first two stops of the day, jettisoning much of the tough rhetoric from over the weekend about Obama’s lack of readiness to be commander-in-chief. Instead she referenced her “lifetime of experience” and pointed to the various endorsements she enjoys from former military officers as examples of why she is primed to occupy the Oval Office.

“They believe they would be well served if I were commander-in-chief, taking care of our sons and daughters,” she told voters in Beaumont jammed in an airport hangar. “...I know we face real threats in the world and you never know when that phone is going to ring at 3 a.m. in the White House. I believe I’m ready to answer that phone.”

When asked by a reporter what specific experience she has had that would make her ready to answer that phone call at 3 a.m., Clinton said, “let me say this - until you’re the president there is no comparison but I have been deeply involved in foreign policy decisions.”

–CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. MARIA 2325

GO HILLARY !!!!! My prayers are with you , you will win

March 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  2. Stephen

I like the people on these posts that say that for the good of democracy, Hillary has to step down, because that is exactly what is good for democracy, having one choice. Americans want democracy Cuban style.

March 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  3. Texas Latina

GO HILLARY GO!!!!! I'M A TEXAN AND I GET TO VOTE TWICE- HILLARY IS GETTING BOTH MY VOTES!!
    Why would anyone vote for someone with LESS EXPERIENCE when it comes to the job of PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES???

March 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  4. A. Harrison, Atlanta Georgia

That'a GURL...GO HILLARY!!!!!!

TELL THEM the FIRST VIABLE FEMALE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE IS NO WIMP!

March 3, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  5. Tired of Clinton's tactics

Hillary continues to attack Obama on the same things she is weakest at. What experience does she have? Being married to a former president doesn't count.
    It is ironic that her own husband was elected at 46, same age as Obama, with about the similar "lack" of experience. When the shoe is on the other foot, I guess it is different.
    Come on Hillary...stop the ridiculous ads and fear tactics...you look desperate!
    Go Obama!

March 3, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  6. Hollowdweller

Hillary didn't look close enough at the intelligence to know the case for the Iraq war was BS and voted for it.

She didn't look after her husband well enough to know he was fooling around.

I don't trust her ability not to continue the trend as president.

March 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  7. Pat M Canada

Being married to a President does not make one qualified to be President someone commented here.

Well talking to a President daily, discussing issues facing a President together daily, seeing the daily operations of the President and President's office up front, close and personal, IS ONE FAR CRY FROM THE EXPERIENCE OBAMA has regarding Leadership!!!!!!

Obama has six years in politics total! Hillary has had thirty-five ! And during those thirty-five she was involved in helping underprivilidged children, fighting for Universal Health Care, Fighting for Veterans Rights, Fighting for Women's Rights, Fighting for Senior's Rights, Fighting for Your Rights while working as a Lawyer, while First Lady, and while Senator!

YET OBAMA couldn't find the time to call a meeting for the important Committe he Chaired because of his Presidential Campaign !

Take Off The Blinders before it's Too Late ! You are going to loose your Nation because your too blind and too stubborn to see!!!

Pray Lord Give Them Sight !

March 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  8. HGM

I am life long Democrat and yes and an Obama supporter but after her enorsement of McCain today and her ugly tactics she is using I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR HILLARY!!!!! I would rather have GW for four more years than this disaster. She is NO DIFFERENT than McCain so no sweat of my back to let her lose. I'm officially starting the "Let Hillary Lose Campaign" amoung Democrats. She doesn't deserve our support and she will never have it!

March 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  9. Elaine

The Democrats are having an historical race, and a lot of people feel strongly about the message of the candidate they support.

Both Clinton's and Obama's campaigns have included negative and positive messages.

During one of the closest races in history, if the media pressures one candidate over the other to get out– we should question this.

With so many important issues at stake, we need to know that the best qualified candidate gets the job. Clinton is not perfect, but Obama is not teflon.. and he is not experienced (Let's hear his stance on foreign policy again.. and then read the article on CNN about the leader of Iran's sentiment toward Americans. Not sure about you, but I'm not exactly comfortable with this..)

We have already survived eight years of inexperience in the White House and we feel the impact (inflation, recession, the dollar is dropping so fast I felt a breeze, rising gas prices, foreclosures...these are real issues!). Two are qualified. One will win.

Hillary for President

March 3, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  10. andrea benini

I EXPECT HILLARY TO DELIVER THE KNOCKOUT PUNCH. GO HILLARY !!

March 3, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  11. Deborah

Hillary you are hurting the Democrat Party.

GO HOME!!! Your dirty politics is sickening!

All Smart People VOTE OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

OBAMA 2008!!!!!

March 3, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  12. David

Hillary Clinton told reporters Monday she is “just getting warmed up”

At this rate, she'll be ready to lead day one in 2012.

March 3, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  13. Case

A friend of a friend of a friend told me this about this aide.

This was dropped by a conservative Cannuck, to keep the Democrats fighting.

Hillary Clinton can not pull independent or disenfrancshised Republican votes. She will single handely give the election to McCain.

Obama will blow her out in Texas. She is a golden spoon elitist, he is the son of an imigriant.

I will not vote for her.

Indpendent for OBAMA

March 3, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  14. karen

Hillary is dividing the democratic party. And calling Obama voters delusional. there is no NAFTA contraversy. She is racist like Lou Dobbs, Rush Limbaugh and David Duke.

March 3, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  15. Ray

More and more each day, it seems as though she will do whatever it takes to steal this nomination.

March 3, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  16. Hillary For Ohio NOT Obama!

Hillary is way up in the Polls!!!! Obama has't a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 3, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  17. Jessica

Last I checked....(the majority of the time) when someone becomes president..it's the first time they've ever held that position. Enough of the experience arguments already..........

March 3, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  18. B. Smart

Time to switch to Msnbc, and Cspan. CNN has put its bias face on
    again.

Obama. 08.

March 3, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  19. Jose Card - Independent

Clinton said, “let me say this — until you’re the president there is no comparison but I have been deeply involved in foreign policy decisions.”

It's expected of me to provide verifiable documentation when I apply for a job. Where is the proof for her claim?
    She attacked Obama's all talk about hope.
    She is all talk about her qualification.
    This explains why her campaign is such a mess.
    I have looked hard for a single Hillary yard sign in my town.
    I see Obama here and there and I am not making it up.

We think it's over and she said she is just warming up.
    This one is going to be good.

March 3, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  20. Dale

It is time for the media to bring some dirt out on Obama! Hillary is the person for the nomination. Go Hillary you are doing great. Hillary will be there at 3 a.m. to take the phone call and she will do what has to be done.

March 3, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  21. Lynne

Just warming up getting down and dirty. By leaking stories and pictures of Obama to stir up fear from the weak minded and the hatred of the ignorant bigots and to tell outright lies that you know are not true, shows what kind of candidate you really are. The few days before the election of Texas and Ohio they conveniently surface again, with a vengence and you claim to have nothing to do with it. give us a break and "Shame on You." If you somehow pull out a miracle and win the nomination, don't count on my vote or many others that just can't stomach you. Also, shame on you CNN and MSNBC for all blatently slanting your programs toward Hillary. We know that you are all Republicans, but when covering the Democrats, it is apparent that you would rather see Clinton than Obama.

March 3, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  22. s.positive

Tomorrow will test the decency of the AMERICAN...

March 3, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  23. A. Harrison, Atlanta Georgia

GO HILLARY GO, GO HILLARY GO, all the way to the WHITE HOUSE!

March 3, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  24. Peg from Ohio

I don't trust either of the Clintons. Ohio can't take another NAFTA decision from a Clinton. I don't think the countries of the world will have any respect for her.

March 3, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  25. Latina for Obama

well I guess what she meant by saying "I am just warming up," she meant now that my friend aka enemy Rush and Ann Coulter both endorse me............ she has won she won she won
    she has manage to divide the party, to gain support from the Republicans, the most despicable racist and the worst in our country.
    Why do they support Hillary?
    simple, like minds are alike............. so will it be:

HIllary & Rush L in the ticket? mm may be the way things are going and the way she is manipulating and lying and the way she and Bill get away with everything in this country _ I would say everything is possible.

PS also Rush has a secret crush on Hillary