March 3rd, 2008

Clinton: I'm 'just getting warmed up'

Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.
Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.

BEAUMONT, Texas (CNN) – Hillary Clinton told reporters Monday she is “just getting warmed up” as she campaigned through Ohio and Texas on the eve of primaries that could determine the outcome of the Democratic race for president.

“I think I know what’s happening and I believe we’re going to do well,” she told reporters before a rally in Toldeo, Ohio. When asked how she would “measure success” from the outcome of tomorrow’s contests Clinton replied “winning, winning, winning, that’s my measure of success.”

Clinton said she would take her message on to “Pennsylvania and states ahead,” a proclamation neither she nor her aides have made much since Senator Barack Obama won 11 February contests in a row.

The New York senator remained mainly positive during her first two stops of the day, jettisoning much of the tough rhetoric from over the weekend about Obama’s lack of readiness to be commander-in-chief. Instead she referenced her “lifetime of experience” and pointed to the various endorsements she enjoys from former military officers as examples of why she is primed to occupy the Oval Office.

“They believe they would be well served if I were commander-in-chief, taking care of our sons and daughters,” she told voters in Beaumont jammed in an airport hangar. “...I know we face real threats in the world and you never know when that phone is going to ring at 3 a.m. in the White House. I believe I’m ready to answer that phone.”

When asked by a reporter what specific experience she has had that would make her ready to answer that phone call at 3 a.m., Clinton said, “let me say this - until you’re the president there is no comparison but I have been deeply involved in foreign policy decisions.”

–CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. William

I wonder which Hillary is the real Hillary. There are just so dang many of them.

March 3, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  2. Nathan

Finally the press is starting to ask the hard questions about Obama. Clinton definately has the momentum heading into these primaries. Should she win 3 out of 4 she should demand the Florida and Michigan delegates be seated and then Hillary would be leading the delegate total.

March 3, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  3. JOHN

HILLARY AND BILL FANS. BILL SAID" IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE BETWEEN A CANIDATE WHO'S TELLING YOU TO FEAR VS A CANIDATE WHO'S TELLING YOU TO HOPE AND THINK, THEN YOU BETTER VOTE FOR THE PERSON TELLING YOU TO HAVE HOPE." THANKS BILL, I'LL VOTE FOR HOPE AND CHANGE. NOT FOR FEARING A PHONE CALL AT 3AM.

March 3, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  4. Myrna

GETTING WARMED UP ALLRIGHT.... TO CONCEDE TO BARAK OBAMA! THE SOONER THE BETTER! YOU GAVE IT YOUR BEST SHOT, AND YOUR CHEAP UNDERHANDED SHOTS AT OBAMA DID NOT WORK.. YOU HAVE MANAGED TO SET THE WOMEN'S MOVEMENT A HUNDRED YEARS... GET OVER YOURSELF, AND DO THE RIGHT THING AND GET OUT OF THE RACE, BEFORE YOU DO MORE DAMAGE... OBAMA O8

March 3, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  5. Nathan

Hey Harry...Here in Australia we're dreading an Obama Presidency. After 3 out of the last 4 being rank amateurs, the last thing the world needs is some blow hard who won't actually fix the problems afflicting us. We've had a Bush , a Clinton and a Reagan to show us that a good speech just wastes all of our time.

March 3, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  6. WV

just wanted to comment on this energy crisis that we are having. The talk about $4/gallon of gas is in the news, yet we still have NASCAR and other racing in our country. How much fuel does Nascar use in one year including travel to event to event? Next, we have the energy crisis, we as customers should and asked to use energy saving light fixatures, appliances and equipment but the big cities have huge amounts of light displays throughout the cities, such as New York City Time Square. Now with the election, we are considering electing a person with the name Barack Hussein Obama for president. ONLY IN AMERICA! I just don't get it.

March 3, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  7. Patricia H - Las Vegas

Maybe the 3 am phone call will be her infamous brothers seeing if they can pre-line up some presidential pardons. She sure comes from an interesting family

March 3, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  8. yolandria

Hillary, sleeping in the White House, making appearances and having the Clinton name does not count as experience.
    I hope that people can see through your ploys. Nobody wants another 4 years of an adulterous White House. We all know who will answer the phone at 3 am-Bill!!!!!
    I don't care what Obama has or has not done. At least he wasn't impeached!

GOBAMA 08

March 3, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  9. blkjazz

After what Miss Hillary said today, I think she needs to quit the race for the Demoractic nomination and check with McCain about running as his VP. Since she thinks so highly of McCain she needs to go on over to the Republican side. I lost the little respect I had for her today. Hillary is a horrible person. Simply horrible.

March 3, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  10. Toni

I wish I could say that I still respect Hillary as I did several months ago. After her behavior/tactics/shenanigans of the last several weeks, I have to say that the respect I previously felt for her is gone.

She is not ready to lead - not now, perhaps not ever.

March 3, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  11. person

CNN, I know that you will reject this comment. But that is OKAY. You, along with MSNBC, have been ONLY writing articles about Hillary Clinton and do not cover Barack Obama. For example, Hillary's attack on Obama concerning NAFTA, then the Rush Limbaugh, then images of Obama dressed up in Somali garb, then CONSTANTLY replaying National Enquirer style ARTICLES questioning Obama on his faith.
    The American public will get tired of your bias. Right now, Obama is giving a rally, but you only have Clinton live. Before Wisconsin, you tried the same tactic.
    American people, do not get deceived by the media. Just because Hillary Clinton and CNN believe that her nomination is INEVITABLE doesn't mean you have to agree with the pundits.

March 3, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  12. flycatcher

Upthread, a poster asked since when is the least experienced candidate more qualified. The answer is this: Since David Axelrod (google him) put a video on YouTube essentially asking, "Aren't you tired of listening to your mother?"

March 3, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  13. James

Tomorrow will it be 15 in a row, and who will Hillary blame this time?

The choice tomorrow is about the future, come on people lets get it over with.

March 3, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  14. Jane

I would fight against Hillary with all my heart, my contributions and my vote. There will be an organized Democratic movement against Hillary Clinton that will even exceed the Independents dislike of her.

NO TO HILLARY AND HER CAMPAIGN OF SMEAR AND FEAR!!!

OBAMA'08

March 3, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  15. Alice from MI

Change? Um...

John McCain is a change – if in name only; or is he a change for the
    worse?

Barack Obama is a change – a change for the better; but can he get his programs through?

Hillary Clinton is a change – a change for the best! Hillary delivers
    because she never gives up!

Change for the best! Never give up! Go Hillary!!

March 3, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  16. Real American

Let the Rumble begin. Go Hillary take this bully down for us. We are rooting for you. Americans deserve better than the wind bag Obama with no experience or knowledge of foreign affairs.

March 3, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  17. J. K

What???!!

I voted for Obama in primary.

I couldn't belive my ear when I heard that Obama admited that his campaign sfaffer has met Canadian official about NAFTA, which he had denied for over a week. He surely would deny for ever if there is not the meeting memo surfaced.

All politicians have one thing in common: they lie when they think it's necessary. I was so disappointed because I looked up to Obama as a politican so different with other politicans, however, the fact revealed the opposite of what I used to believe in him. He is not who he claimed. no better than other politicans. I admit he is a talented speaker who is great for rhetoric. A TV talk show host position is more suitable for him, but definately not the position of president of U.S.

I voted for him in primary, but I am sure that I won't vote for him in general election even if he win the nomination.

March 3, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  18. cw in oh

watching all this coverage on the news is getting crazier and crazier by the day. the last time Ive seen a election campaign this bad was in 2000.now look where we are at as a nation right now . so if any in OHIO , home of the buckeyes see this before you vote tomorrow big wigs made enough money off us on fear , the war and gas for too long lets come together put Hillary too bed tomorrow and vote for the change that america suppose to be

March 3, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  19. Tyler in Raleigh

If "winning, winning, winning" is how you measure sucess... then what about your 0-11 record since Super Tuesday (where it was a tie).

She says she has a "firewall", Bill and everyone comes out and says she needs 2 big wins to stay in. Now when she finds that is not the case... as always she backs out. I have a problem that she has more faces and "voices" than any politician since Nixon.

I guess winning only counts in the states that "matter" to the Clintons. And states only matter if she wins them. We better vote for Clinton, or we are at risk of being thrown out of the union.

March 3, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  20. Outside of the box

There are other parties beside the Depublicrats. If it is change the Nation craves, then perhaps we should elect somebody who can tell the difference between their party and the others.

March 3, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  21. Interesting

If she was a man they would say "This is all about his ego."

If she can't win to heck with the rest of us.

We are the Ones.

O-BA-MA O-BA-MA

We can change the world.

Obama / Sebelius 08

March 3, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  22. john

Now we see the real Hillary we voters are not BillyBoy so please stop with the nagging already.

March 3, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  23. Jackie from Virginia

If Hillary wins this nomination based on her not acknowledgeing BO is not a Christian I will not vote for her. I am a black person and playing with someone race and regilion is nothing to play with. I did not like the way they treated Rommey either.

March 3, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  24. king from toronto

did anyone knew the clintons use to be friends of REZKO's .and that he used to donate to their campaign????????

March 3, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  25. kim j

GO OBAMA GO OBAMA!!!! I AM SO PROUD I VOTED FOR YOU. YOU HAVE SO MUCH CHARACTER. DON'T BE NEGATIVE LIKE HILLARY. I KNOW YOU KNOW SOME STUFF ABOUT HER BUT DON'T EVEN CARRY IT LIKE HER. I AM A DEMOCRAT AND I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR HER AFTER TODAY IT'S LIKE I CAN SEE THE DEMON IN HER EYES. I SEE A SIDE 0F HER TODAY THAT DIDN'T KNOW. I AM SURE ALOT OF PEOPLE FEEL THE SAME WAY.

March 3, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |