March 3rd, 2008

Clinton: I'm 'just getting warmed up'

Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.
Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.

BEAUMONT, Texas (CNN) – Hillary Clinton told reporters Monday she is “just getting warmed up” as she campaigned through Ohio and Texas on the eve of primaries that could determine the outcome of the Democratic race for president.

“I think I know what’s happening and I believe we’re going to do well,” she told reporters before a rally in Toldeo, Ohio. When asked how she would “measure success” from the outcome of tomorrow’s contests Clinton replied “winning, winning, winning, that’s my measure of success.”

Clinton said she would take her message on to “Pennsylvania and states ahead,” a proclamation neither she nor her aides have made much since Senator Barack Obama won 11 February contests in a row.

The New York senator remained mainly positive during her first two stops of the day, jettisoning much of the tough rhetoric from over the weekend about Obama’s lack of readiness to be commander-in-chief. Instead she referenced her “lifetime of experience” and pointed to the various endorsements she enjoys from former military officers as examples of why she is primed to occupy the Oval Office.

“They believe they would be well served if I were commander-in-chief, taking care of our sons and daughters,” she told voters in Beaumont jammed in an airport hangar. “...I know we face real threats in the world and you never know when that phone is going to ring at 3 a.m. in the White House. I believe I’m ready to answer that phone.”

When asked by a reporter what specific experience she has had that would make her ready to answer that phone call at 3 a.m., Clinton said, “let me say this - until you’re the president there is no comparison but I have been deeply involved in foreign policy decisions.”

–CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Vig

Hillary SHOULD stay in this all the way to the convention floor. Why? Because she has had a foreclosure sign hung around her neck weeks ago while Obama has been over sold by the anti-Clinton media. The media have hijacked the election process by doing everything they can to make Clinton irrelvant. Secondly, we really don't know enough about Obama. CNN has just started to give him a critical eye – finally. What took so long? Nobama.

March 3, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  2. ANTI CLINTONS

Warmed up for what, to be booted to the side by the USS Obama! ok you get warmed up while the real man for the job keeps plowing on. IRON MY SHIRT! you witch!

March 3, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  3. EFabian

NO NO NOBAMA

GO GO GO HILLARY.

March 3, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. Texas4Obama

She LOST 11 in a row! That is NOT success. I believe she is delusional and needs to go see a doctor!

The Clintons need to release their tax returns from last year NOW.

March 3, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  5. MickyD10

I thought she said she would be ready to go on day one???? Five rings on the Red Phone before she answers, and then eight months on the campaign trail to get warmed up dosn't sound like she is very ready to me. Keep up the spin Hillary. This is getting to be hilarious.

March 3, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  6. pb Voter

When asked by a reporter what specific experience she has had, Clinton said, “let me say this — until you’re the president there is no comparison but I have been deeply involved in foreign policy decisions.” - The truth is there is no nationally elected official with the title: "First Lady" - it just as Obama did not have to vote but spoke out on the war. She did not have to make ONE vote as the "FIRST LADY of the UNITED STATES". I don't se that as experience !!

March 3, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  7. Darth Vadik, CA

Why is she even considered a viable candidate?

After staright 11 losses by the average margin of more than 25%, Hillary does not get enough scrutiny for staying in, she's nothing more than a Democraic Huckabee at this point.

I know its hard to swallow you Clintonites, but it is a fact.

March 3, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  8. Jim, Carbondale, IL

How many times has she said "I'm just getting warmed up?" Didn't she say this in a few debates since the summer? Is she going to "find her own voice" again too? If she doesn, I'm sure CNN will be right there behind her, clamoring to write up a positive news headline for her as fast as possible.

March 3, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  9. GGamma

yah, just getting warmed up and ready to cool off out of the race tomorrow.

Go Obama

March 3, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  10. Republican

Good luck tomorrow to both Senator Obama and Senator Clinton. May you split the votes and continue to attack each other and divide your party.

March 3, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  11. OBAMA 08

WHO WOULD CANADA RATHER WIN? HILLARY FOR SURE, THEY CAN GET A BETTER DEAL WITH HILLARY, AS THEY ALREADY HAVE.

March 3, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  12. B. Smart

. . .WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BILL AND HILLARY'S WHITE HOUSE PSYCHIC?

March 3, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Dr. Feelgood (In MA)

I think people are finally beginning to see what Obama is all about. Telling the Canadians that his tough talk is just campaign foolery. The man is all about pandering for the moment. Wake up Texas and Ohio. He has fooled so many others along the way. Don't fall for his trickery. Vote for Hillary, the only person in the whole shooting match who can run a country.

March 3, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. CHERYL

YOU ARE ONE TOUGH WOMAN SENATOR CLINTON!

YOUR FATHER WOULD BE PROUD!

YOU HAVE MY VOTE!!!!!!!!!

March 3, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  15. Jay

Peter from Canada. Obama is the one who needs to drop out. Tell you what, you can have him in your parliament. We will take our chances with Hillary.

March 3, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  16. Ted

Hillary Clinton is more than willing to lie, distort, and trade on rumor and innuendo to fulfill her insatiable ambition. I hope the voters in OH, TX, RI, and VT see through it and put her badly-run campaign to rest. She's had three big opportunities to leave her mark on history - the healthcare initiative in 1993, the Iraq vote, and managing her campaign - and she's botched all three badly. We don't need this kind of experience or character in any kind of leadership position in this country. Both Obama or McCain run circles around her on integrity.

March 3, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  17. MICHAEL BURNETT L.I.N.Y.

I am so sick beyond words, Hillary you will not win this election, we the people see you for the evil twin of the devil himself! You are getting so ugly it's sad to see a presidential candidate do the things that you have done to try to win! How low will you go? You have no respect for yourself, and I have no respect for you!! I will tell you this, if you do steal the democratic nomination from Obama then I believe like most men will vote for McCain. Thats now much I deslike the way you went about this demorcratic primary. You can have the woman vote for you "but" you can not win without the men and you know this! Why do think that the republicans want you to win? It is sad that you woman out there dont see this. I myself will get out there to do what I can to see that you do not win, as a demorcratic voter I will not only vote for McCain but I will help campaign for him as well !!!!!!!!!

March 3, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  18. Mischelle from Illinois

PLEASE Hillary Stay in until after Pennsylvania. I really think that she should keep going, this race is so close. The popular vote is very close. Mr. Obama may have won 11 straight races, but most of these wins are in states that are considered Republican States, that the Democrats do not carry. Hillary Clinton has carried the BIG Democratic States. And this race is too close for her to even consider getting out.
    Is anyone asking the DNC if they will sanction Mr. Obama for running campaign adds in FL despite the fact that he SIGNED an agreement not to campaign in the state?????? DNC are you there????

March 3, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  19. Latina Voter

Finally, the media has showed some backbone. Because of the media Obama had been Flawless, but TRUE COLORS always show up in due time. Example: Real Estate dealings with Rezko, Conversation RE: NAFTA with a Canadian official for political reasons and a friend to an activist. HMMMMMM!!!! Mr. Words Matter. As you can see your actions are not high. ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THEN WORDS. It is easier to give a speech, then to make a decision. No one will ever no how you would of voted regarding the war. (With your voting record you would of voted present.) You did not have a voice at that time. So your going to have to say a lot more, then I was running for Senate at the time you were making your speech against the war. Your judgement is being tested now.

Hillary Clinton 2008!!!!!!!

March 3, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  20. Elizabeth

She is just getting warmed up??? 39 primaries into the cycle?

Is the phone ringing at 3:00 am because she failed to answer it at 9, 10, 11, 12, 1 and 2?

Perhaps she thought that it was from a country that "didn't matter."

She is NOT qualified to be president. . . .

March 3, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  21. Jacob

Obama '08!

March 3, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  22. GO HILLARY

KEEP GOING HILLARY!

WE CAN'T WAIT TO VOTE FOR YOU IN INDIANA!

WAIT TIL ALL THE VOTES ARE COUNTED!

GO HILLARY GO!

March 3, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  23. Nicole, Wisconsin

Hillary, do not give up please!!!!!!! I am counting on you!!!! I just do not trust Obama. Obama says during the Ohio debate he would redo Nafta then tells the Canadians he was only saying that for votes. Obama gave a great speech about how it was wrong to go after Alqada in Iraq and we should have gone after them in Afganistan yet when he is appointed to chair a commity on the fight in Afganistan he accepts the post and does nothing because he is to busy running for President Obama works for Kerry in his run for president and says he is not sure how he would have voted if he would have been in the senate at the time of the vote for the war in Iraq.

March 3, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  24. Nikole

Warming up (at this point in time), is NOT ready on day one.

March 3, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  25. I was "present"

Bill W: I like the analogy you make.

When you need a doctor, you go to a doctor and not he lady who sez she is the doctor's wife. Exactly the point, when you need a docor you do not go to the doctor's wife nor do you got to a SHAMAN!!

And given the choice of a doctor's wife and a Quack, I'd pick the doctor's wife anyday. At least she is telling the truth and not advertising herself as a "worldly saint" – that is right a worldly saint with borrowed words.

If only hope and great speeches could have fixed issues this world would have been a great place. If only nations could be secured with fiery debates over the internet we can dismantle our armies and get rid of the 22,000 nuclear war heads we have pointed at every other nation on this planet.

March 3, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |