March 3rd, 2008

Clinton: I'm 'just getting warmed up'

Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.
Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.

BEAUMONT, Texas (CNN) – Hillary Clinton told reporters Monday she is “just getting warmed up” as she campaigned through Ohio and Texas on the eve of primaries that could determine the outcome of the Democratic race for president.

“I think I know what’s happening and I believe we’re going to do well,” she told reporters before a rally in Toldeo, Ohio. When asked how she would “measure success” from the outcome of tomorrow’s contests Clinton replied “winning, winning, winning, that’s my measure of success.”

Clinton said she would take her message on to “Pennsylvania and states ahead,” a proclamation neither she nor her aides have made much since Senator Barack Obama won 11 February contests in a row.

The New York senator remained mainly positive during her first two stops of the day, jettisoning much of the tough rhetoric from over the weekend about Obama’s lack of readiness to be commander-in-chief. Instead she referenced her “lifetime of experience” and pointed to the various endorsements she enjoys from former military officers as examples of why she is primed to occupy the Oval Office.

“They believe they would be well served if I were commander-in-chief, taking care of our sons and daughters,” she told voters in Beaumont jammed in an airport hangar. “...I know we face real threats in the world and you never know when that phone is going to ring at 3 a.m. in the White House. I believe I’m ready to answer that phone.”

When asked by a reporter what specific experience she has had that would make her ready to answer that phone call at 3 a.m., Clinton said, “let me say this - until you’re the president there is no comparison but I have been deeply involved in foreign policy decisions.”

–CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. DeVone

on thing about Hillary her answers to questions are not answers
    they are bs. when asked what makes her ready to anawer the
    3am call she say untill your president there is no comparisom
    then she babbles on about lifes experance, she has never been
    president, she has never said what 3am call she receaved to
    make her ready Hillary is Bull. she is just getting started , on
    what? where's the bull ?

March 3, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  2. abbey

Hillary is the die hard candidate, after 11 losses I'm 'just getting warmed up, because the press are till in her side that is why she is warming up e.g the CNN Politics.com have both Clinton and MacCain without OBAMA that is bias.

March 3, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  3. nora

Finally the media is finding out that Obama has some areas that need to be answered. I hope the campaign continues on after tomorrow Hillary WILL turn our country around not Obama.In Obamas own words Maybe Hiding The Ball " will not be accepted by"all" nora

March 3, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  4. Matt

Hi , I'm from Belgium,
    People of America, please don't be blinded by the populist tone of Obama's speeches. If you really think further than his simple words, if you really open your eyes and see how Obama plays with you people than you will understand and fully realise HILLARY CLINTON is the only real, expercienced and most qualified candidate for the job! She has the ability to really help the american economy, and most important to REALLY BRING CHANGE in America. Obama may say it but only CLINTON can really do it and will stick to her promise. Becaus think about it, she's been fighting for you people for all those years! She is really honest and she deserves to be the nominee and to be the next president of the USA! and so does Belgium, the whole of Europe and the rest of the world thinks!
    GOOD LUCK HILLARY! SWEEP OBAMA'S DECEIVING WORDS OF THE TABLE AND SHOW THE PEOPLE YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN REALLY BRING SOLUTIONS AND PUT WORDS INTO ACTIONS!!!

March 3, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  5. carrie

Hillary needs to bow out if she does not have the most delegates.
    If she continues this dog fight it will seperate the party. I am a democrat who voted for Bill Clinton twice. If they manage to steal this nomination I and many more african-americans like me will not vote for her. I will set out this election as many more people will.

March 3, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  6. jim wash

I think the problem with Hillary is most people I know don't want you to call them by there middle name. She does not use here last name, could thiis be because of Mr. Bill Clinton and all that experience he has in the Oval office.

March 3, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  7. Michael

Take him down to size. Arrogance is not a virtue. We need a fighter in the White House. Too many lazy folks out there looking for handouts. Hard work and know-how will get the job done. Action speaks louder than words, or sneaky meetings.

Solutions we can believe in – Hillary for President!

So Nobama to the snakeoil salesman.

March 3, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  8. rusty

I guess in the mind of Clinton, we have now reached the "significant state phase" of this primary season. If she loses now, does that mean she will actually have the courtesy to congratulate Obama ? And then, perhaps, release her tax statement? And then, hopefully, drop out??? I hope Ohio and Texas do us all a favor and send the Clinton's home on March 4th, to New York.

March 3, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  9. Kat, Huntington, West Virginia

Get warmed up Hillary and we will provide the heat to bring this home!! Millions of dedicated voters are behind you and will do what you ask us to help get you elected. We belife in solutions and answers rather than false hope and speeches!! Go Hillary-this anin't over yet!!!!!
    Hillary08!

March 3, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  10. Taj

I think Hillary is going to win three of the four states tomorrow: Texas, Ohio and Rhode Island. No one really doubts Ohio and Rhode Island, but I think Texas is going to be like New Hampshire and California, where Hillary was either behind or tied in the polls but managed to pull a convincing win once the people voted.

Hillary '08!!!

March 3, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  11. Buddy

Go Hillary. All soap operas aside this country was better off with a Clinton White House. Out of 300 million people in America this is all we have to choose from. WE have 5 canidates left. And like it or not she is more qualified.

March 3, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  12. concern citizen

hi

March 3, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  13. Ben

The future, the hope, the change, Tony Rezko.!

March 3, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  14. Erik

Looks like Clinton campaign hired people to troll this board to post "Go Hillary" messages. I am reading these comments for a while now and every story has bunch of "Go Hillary" comments. I could actually see the pattern and point out the posts as well. Most of these comments are written under women's names as well. Hmmm Interesting.

March 3, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  15. Canadian Neighbour

Warmed-up ?????? Hillary, you must be joking ! You are as cold as 'ice'. You are hell-bent on destroying the Domocratic Party at all cost if you are not the nominee.....and that is so sad. However, please note that if you become the nominee, the Republican Party will definately win, because all the new and young voters that Obama has inspired and has managed to pull out.....will definately draw away from you. You will 'NEVER' get those support. Not to mention the independent voters that Obama does so well with. Hillary, face the harsh reality, after 11 losses, it is very clear that you are being rejected !

March 3, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  16. cathy

RUSH GIVE ME THE KING OF "RUSH" ONE GETS WHEN THEY HAVE TO THROW UP AND DON'T HAVE TIME TO MAKE IT TO THE BATHROOM. HE IS GROSS AND PATHETIC, ARROGANT AND ABRASIVE. HE OBVIOUSLY NEEDS REHAB TO BECOME MORE OF A HUMAN BEING.

March 3, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  17. steve

I can and will support either Hillary or Barrack. Unless you want another 4 years of George Bush a la John McCain I hope all you sour Democrats will unite behind the eventual Democratic nominee and not hand the election to McCain

March 3, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  18. Sherylanne

It's about time Hillary! So glad the true Obama is getting out.

March 3, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  19. cathy

I know CNN will not print this one but
    Who didn't see this coming? Clinton's word is worthless.

March 3, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  20. mike

Please stop this nonsense infight. This is no good for the party in the general election. Even you won, I would not come out to vote for you. Because you have been damaging yourself by initialing negative camp.

March 3, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  21. zo

When Sillary opens her mouth, all I hear is I am woman, hear me roar. What a joke.

March 3, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  22. H3 / NC

CLINTON: "I'M JUST GETTING WARMED UP"

And for that very statement is the reason you are playing catch-up now. You see we (Obama 08' supporters) have been involved for the last 14+ some months.

Unfortunately, you thought if would be a done deal.

Good bye Hillary....try again in 2012. (really... please don't though)

March 3, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  23. John

Hillary its over. Don't divide the Democratic party. You are way behind in the delegate count and the remaining states after Ohio and Texas favour Obama....Wake up and smell the coffee..............

March 3, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  24. Charlotte

Robert, you must not know where you significant other is. Same post over and over.

March 3, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  25. Taj

According to recent statistics, Hillary is doing better among Democrats than Obama, a good portion of whose support comes from Republicans and independents.

If you think Hillary is polarizing and divisive, let me remind you: In the three years that Obama has been in the Senate, Hillary has sponsored 53 bills that have attracted Republican co-sponsors while Obama has only had 24 bills that have attracted Republican co-sponsors.

March 3, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |