March 3rd, 2008

Clinton: I'm 'just getting warmed up'

Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.
Clinton is hoping for big wins in Ohio and Texas on Tuesday.

BEAUMONT, Texas (CNN) – Hillary Clinton told reporters Monday she is “just getting warmed up” as she campaigned through Ohio and Texas on the eve of primaries that could determine the outcome of the Democratic race for president.

“I think I know what’s happening and I believe we’re going to do well,” she told reporters before a rally in Toldeo, Ohio. When asked how she would “measure success” from the outcome of tomorrow’s contests Clinton replied “winning, winning, winning, that’s my measure of success.”

Clinton said she would take her message on to “Pennsylvania and states ahead,” a proclamation neither she nor her aides have made much since Senator Barack Obama won 11 February contests in a row.

The New York senator remained mainly positive during her first two stops of the day, jettisoning much of the tough rhetoric from over the weekend about Obama’s lack of readiness to be commander-in-chief. Instead she referenced her “lifetime of experience” and pointed to the various endorsements she enjoys from former military officers as examples of why she is primed to occupy the Oval Office.

“They believe they would be well served if I were commander-in-chief, taking care of our sons and daughters,” she told voters in Beaumont jammed in an airport hangar. “...I know we face real threats in the world and you never know when that phone is going to ring at 3 a.m. in the White House. I believe I’m ready to answer that phone.”

When asked by a reporter what specific experience she has had that would make her ready to answer that phone call at 3 a.m., Clinton said, “let me say this - until you’re the president there is no comparison but I have been deeply involved in foreign policy decisions.”

–CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Bill

Hillary all the way.....................08..............................

Stay until Denver.........................................................

March 3, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  2. MickyD10

Indiana BOB

Obama is not the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations committee. Get your facts straight. He is the chair of the Senate Oversite Subcommittee of same. Which like being the captain of the third string football team during the off-season. And it is the off-season in Washington right now. Nothing is getting done anywhere. About half of them are out campaigning, either for themselves, or for someone else. Take a look at CSPAN. The chambers during the work day are empty.

Hillary is relying on your ignorance of how the system really operates in Washington to get you to buy her retoric. And it's working. The real question should be what has she done on the two big Senate commitees that she is apart of. According to the two chairs (both of whom have endorsed Obama, BTW) of those committee's she's done absolutely nothing. She has never cast a single vote of any consequence on anything of any importance.

March 3, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  3. Vikki in Northern Illinois

Why can't her campaign run on her actual experience and judgement?? Instead, they run a smear campaign against her rival Sen. Obama. It looks dirty and desperate to most educated people.

March 3, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  4. Sly Domber

She needs to rest and go home. Old and tired! We don't need a president that cries under pressure!

March 3, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  5. Texas

Go Hillary!!!!!!!

March 3, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  6. Sylvia

Hillary Clinton responds "I have been deeply involved in foreign policy decisions." I think that includes voting for the war in Iraq. Do we trust her? I think not. GO OBAMA!

March 3, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  7. Bayou Joe

Go Hillary. Show this upstart the door. This is your Party and he is not welcome. Don't let up now and don't quit after Texas and Ohio.
    You need to continue for the sake of the Party. In a way I wish you would quit just so Obama can lose to McCain, but I know you will win.

March 3, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  8. Derrick, WA

She is just getting warmed up? yeah, warmed up to lose on Tuesday, that's what she's getting warmed up for. Because the national Electorate is about to turn a cold shoulder to her in tomorrow's Primary's. So long Clinton.......its time for Obama to take charge and lead this country into the future. I support him and I know without a doubt he will win tomorrow's Primary's sending the Clinton campaign packing and headed home.

March 3, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  9. Cathy, MA

Some news station was talking about the two David's in Obama's campaign and said, "Who are those guys". LOL

They said they got the idea to focus on the young people, and a generational change, from Barack's trip to Africa. There were so many people who were interested in hearing him speak.

Obama 08

March 3, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  10. Gil - California

Just getting warmed up....is your goal 15 losses in a row? Better stretch before the run tomorrow then.

March 3, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  11. MJ

I AM DONE!! I cannot take another vile, hateful anti-Clinton post. IF Hillary is NOT the nominee..I will write-in her name. IF our ballot this year has no provision for that...I may just NOT vote for a presidential candidate,or maybe I will throw my vote away and vote for Nader.

March 3, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  12. Zia

This much I know: if Mr. Obama is the Democratic nominee, with the exception of NY, CA, OR, WA and a couple of other states, the entire country will be painted RED and McCain will win by default. I, for one, am tired of the Iraq war and other lies.

March 3, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  13. luke

REZKO IS A WELL CONNECTED GUY, HE WAS ALSO INVOLVED IN FINANCING CLINTON CAMPAINS AND ALSO GEORGE W.B. CAMPAINS!!! GO FIGURE!

March 3, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  14. Hill to The Hill!

GO, HILLARY! GO, GO, GO!!!

March 3, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  15. jp/michigan

Good Hillary stay in and give them the fight of their lives. Finally the media is starting to see Obama as the calculating politician he really is.

March 3, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  16. luke

IF SHE IS GETTING WARMED UP, THEN SHE IS NOT READY YET TO LEAD. SHE DOESNT HAVE THE EXPIERNCE SHE THINKS SHE HAS...

March 3, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  17. harry K

Hillary Do not look to the OBAMA crows that say "you must quit!! Even if you did not win everething tomorow I believe that a huge scandal will esplode about him and we all would get the REAL OBAMA.

I have no proof and I know nothing about the man .but I feel in my soul
    and every time I have those feelings i am always rigt..

March 3, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  18. Trevor

HRC was too busy running for president to do your INCOME TAX RETURN WHERE SHE GOT THAT 5M FOR HER RACE?

March 3, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  19. 3:00am Call

Ringggggg.....it's 3:00am in the morning....the phone rings in the WH. Ringggggggggg....Ringgggggggggg....Ringggggggggggggggg. Someone picks up the phone.

"I'd like to speak to President Clinton", the voice on the phone says.

"Just a second, I'll get Hillary", a WH aide responds.

"No, not Hillary", says the voice, "Bill, this is an emergency".

March 3, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  20. Mittster

Worst campaign slogan ever..

"you go girl"

March 3, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  21. derry

wait till we see how negative Barack's campaign gets when he loses tomorrow. He will find something /someone to blame.

March 3, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  22. Charlotte

Hillary, keep him honest. NAFTA, Canadian back room talks, couldn't ask for a better time for this to come out. I didn't think CNN would ever get with the story. I thought they like being the first to report news. I guess the exception is of an Obama bomb shell.

March 3, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  23. Nikole

I have yet to see on HRC supporter explain what 35 years of experience she has that makes her qualified to answer that phone.

March 3, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  24. CHRISTOPHER

I CAN'T VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT PUT FAMILY'S OUT ON THE STREET'S THEN HAVE THE NERVE TO SAY IT WAS HIS JOB AS A LAWYER. SOUNDED LIKE HE CHOSEN TO DO BUISNESS WITH THIS MAN.

March 3, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  25. rose

clinton needs to go you all said we need a fighter will she not one look what she did about her husband so what will she do to us she not a women not at all she is all bull an she cant control her husband with women how in the world she control this country an she said we need to clean up the bush what she do she couldnt clean her husband up who will trust her i couldn t she all talk rose

March 3, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |