March 3rd, 2008

Clinton: 'We'll see what happens'

CNN

Watch Clinton talk to the press on her campaign plane Sunday.

TOLEDO, Ohio (CNN) – Hillary Clinton has hinted that her campaign is willing to take the nomination fight all the way to the convention. But on Sunday, she refused to look past March 4.

"I intend to do as well as I can on Tuesday, and we'll see what happens after that," Clinton told reporters on her campaign plane late in the evening.

The New York senator, nursing a beer from of a red plastic cup, and accompanied by actors and longtime friends Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen, was in a cheery and reflective mood before the plane flew from Cleveland to Toledo.

"I just have to get up every day and do the best I can to win as many delegates as possible," Clinton told one reporter. "But I feel good about where we are."

Clinton wouldn't answer to comments made Sunday by prominent Democrats like Bill Richardson and John Kerry, an Obama supporter, both of whom suggested Clinton should consider leaving the race after Tuesday if she fails to close the delegate gap with Obama.

She said only, "I've had a wonderful time campaigning and feel really good about where we are and I am looking forward to the results on March 4."

Asked if she has succeeded in illuminating differences between herself and Obama, particularly in recent days on the topic of national security, Clinton argued she is raising important issues.

"I think we have been sharpening the contrasts," she said. "And I think it's a contrast that needed to be sharpened, because this is a big decision for people."

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Ohio
  1. Deb IL

Most of Sen. Obama's supporters on here just come off as very mean people. That is another reason I will never vote for him, as President or here in Illinois as Senator. If the best person doesn't win tomorrow and is forced to quit the race, I will be voting Republican again I guess. At least their candidate knows being President is not just a game to be won in out maneuvering and out spending your opponent, and getting the "cool" prize of getting to sit in the oval office. We don't need Cool in the White House, we need experience, judgment, and someone willing to take the lumps when the right thing is not always the popular thing. Obama just doesn't measure up yet on those criteria.

March 3, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  2. Chappy 13

Obama is so misleading in his campaigning, stating that he was against the war and did not vote for the war....well, those statements are true, but he was not in the U.S. Senate when the votes were cast, so technically, no, he did not vote for the war....But why won't CNN bring out the truth? That he was not able to vote for ANYTHING at that time in the Senate...And he had no clue what was presented to the Senate and House members so he cannot make a judgment at all about it. He needs to shut up about his judgment-No man can say what they would do when they are not in the position at the time to make a decision. And, I am concerned that theBLACK super delegates are switching to Obama under duress...THEY ARE BEING THREATENED, AND WHEN ONE VOTES UNDER THAT KIND OF PRESSURE, WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT THE RACE (NO PUN INTENDED)? It is time for CNN to stop promoting Obama and start telling the truth about both Obama and Hillary Clinton....If we have a candidate that is so misleading to the people when running for office, just think about how misleading he would be if voted into office.

March 3, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  3. Michael Conrad

I'm kind of ashamed that people are insulting her for having a beer now.

Please be fair in your criticisms.

Question:
    If Obama is leading by X delegates Wednesday morning, Hillary should drop out.
    X=?

March 3, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  4. Joelle, Racine, WI

I'm just wondering if ANYONE is PAYING any ATTENTION to how desperate both Senator Obama and his supporters really are?

Yes, he is now ahead in delegates – WHY?

The blacks in the Democratic Party have coerced, threatened, including death threat emails to the black super delegates and others to force them to support Senator Obama or not ever be elected again or worse...

CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN!

March 3, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  5. Meghan

Has the pressure driven the Senator to hit the bottle already?

March 3, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  6. I bet this does not stay in

I think a poll should be taken to see how many voters feel Hillary and her supporteres have been cheated by such unfair reporting and obvious Clinton haters and discrimiantion against her because she is a woman – and how many will cross over if Obama if the nominee and vote for McCain

March 3, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  7. RAJohns

If Hillary wins it will be because she cheated. She's a crook, always has been. Look at her record.

Besides she relied on her husband's record to get her where she is, instead of standing on her own two feet and kicking his lying rear end out! That's not my idea of a strong women!!!!!!!!!!

I'll vote Republican if she wins.

March 3, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  8. lori altoona Iowa

Some of the very senators that have endorsed Obama ALSO VOTED IN FAVOR OF THE IRAQ VOTE...why because the President asked for a unanimous vote in favor of the war in support of our troops. Keep in mind during that time the troops had been and were being deployed and were sitting in a holding pattern all over the middle east a vote against them was anti american...no matter how you voted it was going to be wrong......so since other endorsers made a BAD JUDGMENT.....does that mean they too are not capable of making good judgment....meaning maybe they are making a BAD Judgment endorsing OBAMA!! Things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM??????

March 3, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  9. K

Nothing will happen except Hillary Clinton conceding to Barack Obama, then again she will probably do like most women and play things to the end knowing there will be no light at the end of the tunnel instead of what men would do is cut their losses and keep it moving, she is well past hope in this campaign and even if she were to win texas and ohio she will still lose the nomination for the simple fact that the vast majority of voters believe in Barack Obama and don't believe anything that Hillary Clinton says or tries to do.

March 3, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  10. K.Celina from IL!!!!

I am positive, that Mrs Clinton is the WINNER !!!!!!!
    She is the BEST CANDIDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!

March 3, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  11. LaToya

I think she should drop out of the race as she has lost 8 straight races and if that is not a clue I guess tomorrow will be. Bottomw line Hilary Clinton is no better suited to run this nation as her buddy George Bush.... and trust me they are very good friends.

Nafta, do I need to say more about the experience HC is brining to the table. I can' beleive she is able to have a straight face when she speaks of how her husband sold low income jobs and moved them overseas. Doesn't affect me directly as I am educated and have more options but if you haven't been to MI lately drive by Detroit and it looks terrible..... thanks to the Clintons!

March 3, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  12. Donna Midkiff

Yes we will see and we will see Hillary as the winner. When it comes to the big states, the popular vote, Hillary is the winner. She is being outspent 2 to 1 and STILL is winning. What does that say!

March 3, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  13. Annamica, OH

TO James: Hillary is nothing near Huckabee. Hey, why didn't Obama drop out when he was trailing by a hundred delegates huh? You all are so quick to count Hillary out before March 4th has even come...is that fear that she will win the nomination if she stays in? Because if you honestly believed she didn't stand a chance, you wouldn't be telling her to get out...

March 3, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  14. Anonymous

oh God Amy...if Obama was seen with beer in a RED mug..he would be considered Republican, mad, crazy, terrorist, Muslim..and what not...Hillary is there until now because media is kind to her....

March 3, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  15. Sean

If Hillary wins the nomination, prepare to have John mcCain as your next president.

Would your Clinton supporters be happy then?

March 3, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  16. O man in the middle

I thought this was a democracy, not a dynasty. For 25 years we have had two families in the executive office. Bush, Clinton, Bush and now another chance for Clinton. I don't think so. If you vote for HRC then you're voting for Bush. Hilary is a wolf in sheep's clothing and you Hilary supporters (sheep) are lambs being led to slaughter. Eight years of rising gas prices, and now home foreclosures and the most terrible thing fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters dying and being maimed n a useless sinceless war. How many of you Bush supporters are in those situations now? Probaly not if you are rich with coporations that you back; ie, Bushes and Clintons. The working people are the backbone of this country. Obama is offering change. Hilary supporters (sheep) ask what kind of change? A country for the people by the people. Not by two families who has never felt the pain and the agony of trying make ends meet by the average american. Obama might not have all the answers but he does; I believe, have a plan to try to solve the problems here and abroad. He can't do it by himself unless WE THE PEOPLE also help in a destiny not a dynatsy for democracy.

March 3, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |