March 3rd, 2008

No news, just ribs at McCain barbecue

GOP candidate Sen. John McCain of Arizona usually takes reporters' questions but was mum this weekend.

SEDONA, Arizona (CNN) – Instead of appealing for votes on the campaign trail, Sen. John McCain spent the weekend playing host at his rustic Arizona home - and on Sunday members of the traveling press corps were his guests.

It was a news-free zone, and a charm offensive to be sure - but also a window into the private setting and self-described oasis of the man who may be days away from mathematically clinching the GOP nomination, months after being left for political dead.

McCain greeted reporters as he tended to the grill - tongs in hand - on the deck of his ranch house. Clad in a green Maine Maritime Academy baseball hat, white sweat shirt with a photograph of his family on it, faded Levis jeans and New Balance sneakers, the presidential candidate stood over two large, sizzling barbecues, preparing baby back ribs and grilled chicken.

McCain revealed that barbecuing for guests is one of the few ways he relaxes, especially during the grueling campaign, and was eager to share his carefully honed recipe on the gas grill: baby back ribs (bought at Costco), cooked bones down with a dry rub that's a third garlic powder, a third salt and a third pepper.

The trick to not letting it dry out? Keep putting lemon juice on, the senator said.

Full Story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Jazz

Get over it. If Obama is the democratic nominee, McCain is the new president. As Karl Rove pointed out , there are more democrats for McCain than there are republicans for Obama. Ditto with independents. Add in Hillary supporters and the FL-MI convention shut-out vote, he has more than 50% of the vote.
    Lighten up media. VIET NAM VETS have been treated BADLY ENOUGH by the country.

March 3, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  2. RealityKing

And on John's grill today...., the dems presidential hopes and dreams. Burning like the chicken that dropped through onto the coals..

March 3, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  3. Don Fitzgerald, Chicago

First and foremost, Senator McCain is an American hero, for his service in Viet Nam. He payed a great price for being an American and for that I thank him and all the other servicewomen and servicemen who made sacrifices during that corporate war!
    Now, Senator McCain is engaged in a different campaign, one, in which, I think he is incapable of performing to the degree to which this country needs, at the moment. His fellow Republicans, presently in the White House, have performed a scorched earth policy on the American landscape, cityscape and policyscape. It will take more than the talents that Senator McCain has displayed, in the past, for him to correct all the wrongs, perpetrated against America, by this present administrations. It is the Republican agenda that has allowed the American economy, school system and infrastructure, to name just a few missteps, to fall apart. So, it will take a Democratic President and majority in Congress. to right these wrongs! Vote Democrat and help America right herself. Let her citizens enjoy being American , again!
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS, BRING THEM HOME, ALIVE. NOW.

March 3, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  4. California Independent

If it isn't Clinton, McCain '08

March 3, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  5. Mischelle from Illinois

Thanks for the recipe CNN. I'll try it next time I have 'reporters' over for a picnic.....I do feel that John McCain probably needed to rest and re-coup, but doing it with a house full of media...HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE??? I would think that he would want to get far, far, away from ya'all.

March 3, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  6. bleedinheartcommie

The Liberal mind respects nothing but oval office antics.

March 3, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  7. Jed in Texas

Im not crazy about his recipe for the country.Just add another four years of Bush and stir well.

March 3, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  8. not buying the hype

So you were appointed chair in Jan – kicked off your campaign in Feb – hold a mtg, didn't you still have votes in the Senate? If you have so called Judgement...it's called Leadership! What do you think the Commander in Chief does? Obama give me a break, you're clueless. You lucked up on a senate seat. Stick to the speeches.

March 3, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  9. B. Smart

. . .Will John McCain even hear the red phone ringing?

March 3, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Barack Obama, May lack in experience but what makes a qulifed president? I have failed to see where past democratic leaders or past republican leaders have lead this free world into prosperity? I have seen record people in droves going to vote I have seen where this country is inspired and hope that a non paid lobbist owned politician never see office It will be refreshing to see what sombody else can do in office. I as for experince wher has it got us!? I looking for qualifed, I'm looking for someone who is willing to try to bring this country together. I'm ready to believe in my country once again.

March 3, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  11. Farrell, Houston, Tx

McCain has already acknowledged that he is old and knows that the age of his V.P. is important. I can see now that voters will be voting for a V.P. rather than McCain which is like voting in the blind. Think about it.

March 3, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  12. Tisha Todd, Hampton, Virginia

This sums up the race for presidency.

4 years + Bush= John McCain

Change+ Hope+ advocate for working people= OBAMA

March 3, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  13. KMAN

Did he flip-flop those baby back ribs like he did on Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy?

March 3, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  14. vh

I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THE CLINTONS. DURING THE MILLION MAN MARCH BILL CLINTON SPOKE POSITIVE AND HIGHLY OF FARRAKAN. THE CLINTONS WERE SUPPORTING AND DEFENDING THE BLACK PATHERS BACK WHEN BILL WAS PRESIDENT AND HILLIARY WAS AN ATTORNEY. SHE IS NOW SAYING SHE IS READY TO GO, FIRED UP, AND YES WE CAN. DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR, OBAMA 08. IF HILLIARY WINS THE NOMINEE i WILL NOT VOTE COME NOVEMBER AND WHAT HAPPENS WILL HAPPEN.

March 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  15. Darth Vadik, CA

Gary,

You sound very paranoid. It is the unknown you and all of us fear.
    Some of us are just willing to take a chance sometimes, while other stay with the same old same old McCain, and know they will never get any better results.

I will tell you this much, and this I know more than bush knows God is on his side because I guess they talk to each other, both Hillary and Obama are 100 times better than Bush and McCain....

...and they can put that on my tombstone because I'll go to my grave knowing that.

March 3, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  16. Rose

DC needs a good Rib Joint. Maybe McCain has missed his calling.

March 3, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  17. Chris

Wow Gary! You can't possibly be for real. No one is that stereotypical!

March 3, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  18. Jeanette

*****Gary****** Your views scare me more than the war in Iraq, our budget deficiet, tthe impending recession, the animosity of the world vs. us, lack of heath care, the soaring gas prices, social securiy or the lack there of, the invasion of the Bush administration into private lives, the list goes on and on........however, your opinion, and yes my father gave his life to ensure all America"s kept their right for freedom of speech, just as my two brothers fought in Vie tNam.......people that share your myopic views truly make me fear for our counry and the multi-cultural "pot" that created the USA.

March 3, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  19. andrew jones

this is what I call: McRib!

March 3, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  20. HomoSapien

Gary – learn to spell. Learn to use the English language to express yourself. And this comes from a person whose first language is not English.

That aside – I am an Obama supporter but respect Senator McCain for his bravery during the Vietnam war. There is no doubt in my mind that he is a hero and that he has served his country honorably.

I would not vote for him mainly because Republicans have pretty much screwed up the country in the past 8 years. We need a President who listens to the little people rather than the richest. For me, Obama signals the clearest path towards a clean break from the past.

But – McCain IS an honorable man. If Hillary wins the Democratic primary, I will vote for McCain.

March 3, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  21. Puddytat

why bother commenting HERE ... they don't post anything but McCain and Obama fluff . Goto the topix forums if you want to know what the majority of people think people think.

March 3, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  22. Ken, Suitland MD

There's a gun-toting old lady in Crawford, Texas, who looks alot like Barbara Bush -- maybe he could get her cooked-up, without drying her out.

March 3, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  23. Candle In The Wind

Nice man, but I'm afraid he is a Bush Mini-Me.

As much as I admire his military service, I don't want four more years of the same.

When Bush took office oil was $28. a barrel, now it is $103. Can't vote for the same party this time. Just can't afford it.

March 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  24. Henry

I'm an Obama supporter, but McCain is not a coward. He endured five years in captivity, and has my respect.

March 3, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  25. A Patriot

McCain is a good, honest man. He want's what is best for America as a whole, not just for the wealthiest Americans. I am glad to see that the Republican Party has lifted its standards a bit.

Candidates like Nixon, Reagan, and Bush (the younger) demonstrated a bizarre Republican preference for intellectual lightweights. Candidates like Romney (the younger), Bush (the younger) demonstrated a peculiar habit among Conservatives of voting for candidates who will work contrary to the voters' own self-interest.

The gang of thugs that came in with Newt Gingrich have mostly resigned in disgrace, are currently serving time in a federal institution for theft, have been charged with sexual felonies, or have gone to work for lobbying firms and are now trying to bribe their former colleagues with wine, women, and cash.

McCain is more like Eisenhower, Rockefeller, Goldwater, Ford, Dole, Bush (the elder, the war hero) and Huckabee: men that I would trust to hold my wallet or take care of my teenaged daughter for a while. Stable normal decent human beings are returning to control of the Republican party, and I for one am certainly glad to see it.

March 3, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |