March 3rd, 2008

Obama's success in Ohio rests ground troops

Campaign volunteer Jeanine Michael has played a big role in Barack Obama's ground organization.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) - Hillary Clinton drew the early support of much of Ohio's Democratic Party and most of its high-wattage politicians. And she was the overwhelming choice of the blue-collar workers who form much of the state's Democratic base.

Barack Obama had his own staunch - if slightly less high-profile - Ohio loyalists: Valli Frausto and Jeanine Michael.

Now the Illinois senator has national momentum, and the resources to outspend Clinton on television advertising here by roughly 2-to-1. Still, as Tuesday's primary approaches and the battleground shifts from the airwaves to the the task of turning out the vote, the passion of a candidate's ground troops, not the size of the war chest, might be the most critical ingredient for success.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ohio
  1. therealist

I smell another Clinton self-loan coming....

March 3, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  2. Barack Oprah

It's time to Democrats to unite?
    To lose? Obama can't beat McCain. nly the reason why Obama has done well is GOP. They votes for Obama to win general election. Even GOP knowsw Hillary Clinton is the best. GOP is smarter than half of Democrats.
    MacCain vs Obama? No contest.
    Politics is White Men's world.

March 3, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  3. NOWAY

Say What, Barrack?

By Paul R. Hollrah

Tuning in to C-Span recently, I found myself listening to a speech by Senator Barrack Hussein Obama, Jr. He was standing in the pulpit of a black church in Selma, Alabama, and as I studied the body language of the dozen or so black ministers standing behind the senator, I couldn't help but be reminded of the little head-bobbing dolls that people used to place in the rear windows of their 1957 Chevrolets. If their reactions are any indication, the new "Schlickmeister" of the Democrat Party is actually a pretty accomplished public speaker.

However, as he spoke, I found my b.s. alarm going off, repeatedly. But I couldn't quite figure out why until I actually read excerpts of his speech several days later. Here's part of what he said:

"...something happened back here in Selma, Alabama. Something happened in Birmingham that sent out what Bobby Kennedy called, "ripples of hope all around the world." Something happened when a bunch of women decided they were going to walk instead of ride the bus after a long day of doing somebody else's laundry, looking after somebody else's children.

"When (black) men who had PhD's decided 'that's enough' and 'we're going to stand up for our dignity,' that sent a shout across oceans so that my grandfather began to imagine something different for his son. His son, who grew up herding goats in a small village in Africa could suddenly set his sights a little higher and believe that maybe a black man in this world had a chance.

"So the Kennedy's decided we're going to do an airlift. We're going to go to Africa and start bringing young Africans over to this country and give them scholarships to study so they can learn what a wonderful country America is.

"This young man named Barack Obama got one of those tickets and came over to this country. He met this woman whose great great-great-great- grandfather had owned slaves; but she had a good idea there was some craziness going on because they looked at each other and they decided that we know that, (in) the world as it has been, it might not be possible for us to get together and have a child. There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama, because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. Was born. So don't tell me I don't have a claim on Selma, Alabama. Don't tell me I'm not coming home to Selma, Alabama."

Okay, so what's wrong with that? It all sounds good. But is it?

Obama told his audience that, because some folks had the courage to "march across a bridge" in Selma, Alabama, his mother, a white woman from Kansas, and his father, a black Muslim from Africa, took heart. It gave them the courage to get married and have a child. The problem with that characterization is that Barrack Obama, Jr., was born on August 4, 1961, while the first of three marches across that bridge in Selma didn't occur until March 7, 1965, at least five years after Obama's parents met.

Obama went on to tell his audience that the Kennedys, Jack and Bobby, decided to do an airlift. They would bring some young Africans over so that they could be educated and learn all about America. His grandfather heard that call and sent his son, Barrack Obama, Sr., to America.

The problem with that scenario is that, having been born in August 1961, the future senator was not conceived until sometime in November 1960. So if this African grandfather heard words that "sent a shout across oceans," inspiring him to send his goat-herder son to America, it was not a Democrat Jack Kennedy he heard, nor his brother Bobby, it was a Republican President, Dwight D. Eisenhower.

As one of my black friends, Eddie Huff, has said, "We need to ask some very serious questions of the senator from Illinois. It's not enough to be black, it's not enough to be articulate, and it's not enough to be eloquent and a media darling. The only question will be how deaf an ear, or how blind an eye, will people turn in order to turn a frog into a prince."

March 3, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  4. Frodaddy

Bush
    Clinton
    Clinton
    Bush
    Bush
    Clinton???

I just can't go back down that road. I want change. I want a different point of view. I want to talk with the world again. Words matter, inspiration matters. Look at the way Hillary has responded lately at the debate and since. Is that presidential?
    Obama08

March 3, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  5. Kevin

Think about how scary this is!

1) Dmitry Medvedev wins Russian presidential vote by a landslide with a scam vote!

2)Troops from Ecuador and Venezuela have been ordered toward their borders with Colombia amid a tense crisis that threatens to erupt into war

3) Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad wants us out of Iraq

AND WE HAVE BARACK OBAMA WITHOUT ANY EXPERIENCE AS COMMANDER IN CHIEF IN THE WHITE HOUSE!!!

March 3, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  6. dmw

Ohio and the rest of the America, I hope you read the AP article on how Obama told the Canadians that he does not really support changing NAFTA, he just said it for political purposes. I hope the folks in the midwest who voted for Obama and now knows that he tells a funny version of the truth will be more logical, realistic and do research before you vote for someone just because they speak in wonderful terms and give good speeches. Ya'll have been played!

March 3, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  7. Billary Huckabee

Tomorrow will make the end of the Billary Huckabee campaign and all the negativity and then we can begin to focus on Sydney McCain and all the RepubiCONs negativity...

Fact – Billary Huckabee's 35 years of experience (12 – 1st Lady of Ar-kansas, 8 1st Lady of US, 8 Junior Senator from New York and been in elected office less the Senator Obama)

Fact – Ready from Day 1 – But, lacked the correct Judgement on Iraq, Lacked the right Judgement on NAFTA and lacked any judgement on running her campaign.

Fact – Solutions for America – but doesn't have a solution to running her campaign, vision for America or winning America's trust

These real times REQUIRE REAL LEADERSHIP and JUDGEMENT, TEXAS and OHIO put an end to the BILLARY HUCKABEE campaign tomorrow – VOTE OBAMA 08 and 12

March 3, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  8. Alex J, Atlanta,GA

I would back Hillary only if i could keep up with her moods. One day she's crying .The next she's honored just to be running in the race with him. Now its shame on you Barack. While Barack has been cool and calm through out all the attacks and he has looked presidental through it all. Hillary may not be the first woman president but she should accept the role as a trail blazer for other woman like Nancy Pelosi or her daughter.

March 3, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  9. stephanie

the smart nerdy girl who knows the answer to everything verses the cool guy with a great smile who copies her answers. oh and he's friends with the popular kids and he seems so rebellious. this is so highschool. universal healthcare–she covers everyone, national security–look at who supports her, children advocacy–she trumps him, again.

March 3, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  10. John G

Yes I saw 60 minutes and Senator Clinton did not fully commit to her answer that she does not believe Senator Obama is a Muslim. Geez, if someone was trying to hide it, you would think his name would be a nice American one like Joe Smith or George Bush.

I fully support Senator Obama and I do not hate Senator Clinton. She was my choice until Senator Obama became a candidate. People, we have good choices... Don't hate!

Go Obama!

March 3, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  11. marge

Even at this late hour members of Hillary's campaign are trying to 'distance" themselves from the decision making issues...
    LOL!LOL! Strange isn't it? Especially since her supporters seem to think she's flying high!
    This race,I'm afraid is going to divide the party. The negative ad's the half truths, the innunedo,is already evident in the 'break down" of the polls.
    This win at any cost attitude,isn't helping at all! The DNC needs to step in,otherwise Mccain is going to be our next President.

March 3, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  12. bitoo koasoo

YES WE CAN OBAMA 08

March 3, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  13. Jones in Sacramento

For the last 20 years we've either had a Bush or a Clinton in the White House, I say it's time for some new blood, fresh ideas, a different approach!

Obama For America-Obama For America-Obama For America-Obama

March 3, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  14. Stacy Clarks, Texas

I agree that all the negativity is ridiculous!!! BOTH candidates are worthy, and whoever the nominee, we need to support them if we do not want another 4 years of Republican MESS!!!!!

I am for OBAMA all the way, but let's be real, if Hillary wins, then she will get my vote in November. She is an extraordinary woman, who is more than capable of being president. I just happen to believe that Obama is better for this country at this time!

either way, IM HAPPY!!!
    DEMOCRATS SHOULD BE ECSTATIC THAT WE HAVE TWO BRILLIANT NOMINEES, INSTEAD OF TEARING EACH OTHER APART!!!!! DEMOCRATS 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!!!

March 3, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  15. Steve Striedinger

Seriously Hillary Supporters, Let's focus on the issues, OBAMA is'nt perfect but he obviously excels at uniting people. IF we want to end this war and get universal healthcare we need someone like him to keep people motivated on actually DOING SOMETHING and not just the same old same old in Washington. OBAMA 09'-16'

March 3, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  16. anita

Obama fans if he candidate wins the Dem nomination, ready your

candidate for the Republican attack machine.

This is literally kid's stuff compared to what will be unleashed on him

prior to the general election.

I suppose the outrage from the Obama camp will use its regular fall

back position with the consequence of driving away the moderates.

March 3, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  17. Ron

If you all do a web search for "Clinton Scams" and read the articles you pull up then you might vote for anyone but Clinton.

CNN hasn't been posting my blog because they support Hillary and my blog does not.

March 3, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  18. tina

cnn fan,u are such a loser,people like u are the reason theres so much hate in the world,i have waited for months to see if anything would come up about obama before i vote tomorrow but it seems all u people have got are siily rumours and religious bs.
    this is the reason thousands rally for obama bcos they are sick of negativism.its time u get a grip of ur self.i choose hope over all this hate.
    o
    OBAMA O8
    undecided voter

March 3, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  19. Slap Stick

For Obama's ground troops..... "now walk it out now walk it out." Keep up the Good Work.

OBAMA 08

March 3, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  20. Sal

new Poll show Barack ahead in ohio

other polls did not represent independents and College students

Obama 08

the writing is on the wall

Obama will win Texas, ohio, and vermont where he is ahead.

March 3, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  21. Ron

King from Toronto:

My wife watched 60 minutes last night and it took her an hour and a half but then she is a Hillary Blonde.

Hillraisers eat your heart out wednesday, any ticket with Hillary on it will lose in the end, so the odds are 50/50 the half that don't like her will vote republican rather than to vote for her in the general.

It's a wait and see thingy, Have fun and donate a lot of your money to her.

Obama is going to kick her butt.

March 3, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  22. SID FROM NEW YORK

I am an american and i vote with the intent to protect and to lift up my country the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA . I am a black american and i vote for a president that is best for MY ,OUR YOUR UNITED STATES OF AMERICAN . NOT AFRICA NOT PALISTINE ISRAEL , EUROPE. BUT THE USA

THIS IS OUR HOME VOTE BECASE YOU LOVE IT FIRST AND FORMOST .
    GOD BLESS THIS LAND AND ANY PRESIDENT THAT WANTS TO TAKE CAE OF IT BEFORE ANY OTHER ....

March 3, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  23. Charlotte

Obama -bots will no doubt try to find any fault they can. Obama is not the right person to be President. His claim to fame, "I was against the war." Oh wait, I wasn't sure when I was supporting Kerry. I think Al Qaeda in Afghanastan was the real threat, why I did not hold any meetings while chairing that committee, well I have been too busy campaigning for President for the past two years. The most important thing for me, is to be President. I will change the way Washington works. Every committee will be in name only. I will eliminate the Sec. of State position and meet with all foreign leaders, friends and foes. We must meet with the Canadians behind closed doors and tell them my words on NAFTA are just words to win votes. Change you can count on, yes you can???

March 3, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  24. Sal in Phoenix

Why are the Obama supporters so mean and hateful to Hillary Clinton...and why did the media make Obama their darling, to the extent of bias coverage...This is wrong!

March 3, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  25. Africa for Hillary

Hillary all the way .. I just admire that elegant lady ..

March 3, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |