March 4th, 2008

Blitzer: ‘Get ready for more of a wild ride’

Candidates suggest the race will continue beyond March 4th.
Candidates suggest the race will continue beyond March 4th.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - This is one of those days that all of us who cover politics love. We are watching an extraordinary political story unfold with historic ramifications. On the Democratic side, either a woman or an African-American eventually will grab the party’s presidential nomination.

As of right now, I don’t know whether the nominee will be Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. I can easily envisage various scenarios that would result in a Clinton or Obama victory. As I wrote last week, don’t count Hillary Clinton out. Anything is still very possible.

No matter what happens in Rhode Island, Vermont, Ohio and Texas, neither of the two remaining candidates will have the 2,025 delegates needed to win the nomination at the Democratic National Convention in Denver at the end of August.

Obama now suggests the race will continue beyond tonight. He says that it’s a very tight race and he is prepared to continue to the Democratic caucuses in Wyoming on Saturday, March 8, and then on to Mississippi for its primary on March 11. And don’t forget there’s Pennsylvania on April 22.

Obama says he faces a “tenacious” candidate. Yes, he does.

Having covered the Clintons since 1992 when Bill Clinton came from seemingly nowhere to capture his party’s nomination, I can testify that both Bill and Hillary Clinton are fighters who don’t give up even in the face of seemingly incredible odds.

Barack Obama is also a fighter. Just think about the incredible odds he has had to overcome to become the first African-American head the Harvard Law Review, and eventually a U.S. Senator and the frontrunner for the Democratic presidential nomination.

That explains in part why this Democratic contest could easily continue over the coming weeks, and perhaps even to the convention. If it does, get ready for more of a wild ride.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Jake

I am all about obama. I voted for him in wisconsin and hope he wins the nomination. However, I must admit, as a Democrat and person who does not believe 23 year olds such as my self should not die in Iraq, I'd like Hillary so much more than McCain. She would not separate the party. Only the people who say she would do so. I am young but I am not an uneducated fool. I know we need a Democrat in office and any Democrat who thinks otherwise are self interested, biased to thier candidate (rather than party) and ignorant.

March 4, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  2. mike

Go Hillary

March 4, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  3. TAA in Atlanta GA

OBAMA has turned this whole political run into a big race war!!!

So why should Hillary roll over for him, I say to her STAY until the very end fight him for every delegate that you can. Let it go to the super delegates and let them vote their own minds and wills.

March 4, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  4. Paul

Someone commented earliar about all of the young voters that will not support "Billary" this septemebr if they win. Did it ever occur to you that the reason Hillary is still in this race is because there are many democrats that would perfer the more conservative democrat over the other???? Thats the reason I'm voting for her. Socially, she is no different than Barack, fiscally we know that its going to take another Clinton to balance that god forsaken budget. The Clintons hold the best balance! So vote for Billary!

March 4, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  5. rosemarie

By the way Hillary has a large voter turnout, and to almost tell all your viewers that she should probably step down tonight if she doesn't win
    any states, then you are mad.

She has over half the people voting, so why don't you get wise in your reporting and give her a break. Half the country has voted for her, I don't think that is too shoddy.

Go Hillary

March 4, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  6. diane

Hillary Clinton has worked for our country since the 60s after graduating from college,,,,She alone wrote more of our Countries LAWS PROTECTING OUR CHILDREN than any other person in history. She was named Arkansas mother of the year when she was First Lady of Arkansas because of the work she did for better education and head start programs in that state. Hillary is a real worker and a doer,,,not just someone who can deliver speeches.

March 4, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  7. Chuck M.

I hate to say it, but this prolonged struggle for the Democratic nomination cannot help either candidates' chances against Sen. McCain. Rush Limbaugh makes a good point...albeit a ridiculously obvious one. I'm not only an Obama supporter, but a citizen who's had it with Republican presidencies, and I think a couple of decisive wins today for Obama should be clear enough writing on the wall for Sen. Clinton. Anyone in the four primary states who finds any of this logic convincing should also note that Obama steadily polls between 4-10 pts. better vs. McCain than does Clinton.

March 4, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |