March 4th, 2008

Obama lawyer crashes Clinton conference call

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Barack Obama’s campaign lawyer Bob Bauer crashed a conference call convened by Hillary Clinton’s campaign Tuesday evening, sparring with Clinton communications director Howard Wolfson in an exchange that lasted several minutes.

Bauer dialed into the call that was intended to update the media on alleged irregularities in Texas caucus voting and identified himself to Wolfson’s surprise.

“Nice of you to call. How are you?” said a startled Wolfson when Bauer introduced himself.

The two men then proceeded to battle over the Clinton campaign’s complaints over caucus voting in Nevada and in Texas, with Bauer directly asking the Clinton campaign to “Stop attacking the caucus process.”

Wolfson responded by challenging Bauer to work closely with the Clinton campaign to ensure there were no irregularities in the Texas caucuses.

“I would ask you to join with us this evening in ensuring that the serious problems that are ongoing as we speak in Texas are addressed,” Wolfson said, adding that they did not hold Bauer "personally responsible.”

Bauer returned to his original charge, saying that the Clinton campaign had attempted to interfere with the process in both Iowa and Nevada, adding: “How is this (complaint) any different than the series of complaints registered against every caucus that you lose?"

After several minutes, Wolfson ended the conversation, telling Bauer he looked forward to "asking our own questions on subsequent calls of yours."

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Texas
  1. Liz

How come Barack Obama always wants to wait until Hillary talks. Always a follower, right? Look even at the time when she's giving her speech for winning Ohio and Rhode Island ... Barack is still wanting to talk after her. Yeah right, and he's SO ready to lead. (rest my case!)

March 4, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  2. Seward Horner

Hillary should keep fighting. It isn't over until someone recieves the number of delegates needed. Florida and Michigan should hold new primaries. I don't believe in Obama's "change we can believe in". It is all talk . His actions are often at odds with his speachs. Decrying NAFTA while winking at the Canadains and then trying to deny it. and then refusing to answer questions about it. Challenging the republicans to only run on public funds and now trying to get out of it. The list can go on. I am voting for Hillary or McCain. t

March 4, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  3. Smart Alex

I can't believe I'm following some of this IGNORANT CRAAAAAAAP!

You people are drones! Think for yourselves please!!!

Primary elections are supped to be a vetting process; a job interview.
    1) Do we know ANYTHING about Obama besides his bumper sticker slogans and pep rally speeches? No.
    2) Is Hillary paying the double tax of carrying Bill's baggage in her campaign? Yes.
    3) Is either Hillary or Obama better than another Republican ruining America and the world? You bet.

My concern is that it is early March and both sides have already "chosen" their candidate and yet their positions on issues will change so much between now and election day. Sad state for democracy in America! Can we export anything besides bad TV, over-priced movies, and celebrity gossip?

March 4, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  4. OregonMom

I am disgusted with this whole process. Obama is definitely not without fault (and has gotten worse over the past weeks) but HRC's campaign has been absolutely sickening. I have lost amost all respect for the whole process. HRC will probably with the primary battle with the tactic she has used,but I think she may very well lose the war in November. If McCain wins in November, it will not surprise me in the least.

FED UP WITH POLITICIANS!

March 4, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  5. Tylenol666

Intresting coming from the State that lost thier Jobs to NAFTA and the State that put Bush in, keep pushing the envolope from bad to worse Ohio!

GO OBAMA

March 4, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  6. Craig

The Clintons' are low-down dirty people! If they con the Democratic Party into influencing the Superdelegates, thus stealing the election away from Obama..well, I'll be voting for McCain!!

March 4, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  7. Amy in Iowa

Yep I agree. If Hillary can steal or sue for the nomination, McCain wins. I am democrat, and female, and would NEVER vote for Hillary or any Clinton for that matter!

March 4, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  8. gizmo

Berkely,
    Evidently you don't read much. I've been reading these blogs for months now and I hate to break it to you but the Clinton supporters are actually as bad if not worse in the name calling department then Obama's supporters are. I'm not a supporter of either so please don't try to spin this statement. But the truth is in the blogs, go and read it for yourself. All you have to do is scroll up and look at Glens post, and he's not the only one.

March 4, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  9. Wake Up!

When will Latinos learn that their votes are being used??? What has Clinton done for you??? Do you even know? It is such a shame that the Latinos think that there is this fight for votes between African-Americans and them. When in fact WE ARE NOT THINKING ABOUT YOU! Many Latinos are going to Colleges that were historically black colleges...becaue the need for these colleges for Black people are not as necessary as they once were. Many of the civil rights that Latinos enjoy are because of Black people who laid down, got beaten and even died so that everyone not just Blacks could be treated equally. So why do Latinos always think that there is this competition?? I really don't get it. Especially since many Latinos are BLACK themselves. It's mind boggling.

March 4, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  10. Jessie Mayhew

I I knew that there was a lot of Obama that was not okay I keep sending e-mails telling the media to stop and listen to what he is saying he tells the same thing in every speech. and he is also a liar which the people are now findiing out. how can some one run a country with speechs? So I say Hillary run and do not get out of the race.

March 4, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  11. Hillary Clinton 2008

Rock on Hillary!!!

Clinton '08

Clinton '08

Clinton '08

March 4, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  12. seth, minneapolis

Obama needs to take control of his staffers. They're starting to borrow plays from the Clinton playbook, but that won't work for him. Everyone holds Obama to a different standard. He can't play dirty or return those illegal punches. He needs to stick to the high road and sweat it out or he'll be open game against the Republicans. The Clintons will take the entire party done with them if you give them the chance.

March 4, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  13. Geoffwjr

Hilliary just lies so much Obama has to hit her and start to throw some punches she just said she won Florida and Michigan Obama wasn't even on the ballots in Michigan all lies OBAMA CALL HER ON HER LIES.

March 4, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  14. Joe

I WANT THE 90S BACK WHEN THINGS WERE GOOD !!!!!!!!!!! YOU ALL SEEM TO FORGET HOW GREAT THEY WERE!

I have had never had a good feeling about Obama .. he is like the wolf in sheeps clothing and I hope America wakes up fast and turns this around.!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 4, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  15. Karen G

To Xemmy, that goes both ways you know.

March 4, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  16. Hillary Clinton 2008

yeah I think I can spell it....

O-B-A-M what comes next...?

Oh yeah. A!!

March 4, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  17. Kimberly

I'm a die hard Dem, and inititally my vote was going to be for Hillary. Isupported Bill during his term, and truly thought she could when against McCain because know one really knew of Obama, but during the course of the primary I switched over to Obama. I can honestly say if Obama doesn't win the nomination I will vote for McCain. It has sadden me how Hillary would try and divide the Democratic party by supporting McCain. She doesn't deserve the opprotunity to becalled the leader of the country.

March 4, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  18. Rebel

What do you mean why are there lawyers involved? They're democrats. That's why there's lawyers involved.

March 4, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  19. Walt

Stay calm, Obama folks. We'll be okay. Let the dirty ones be dirty. They threw mud and it worked. Our is the high road, the same road as Lincoln, TR, FDR, and a few others. Let the false proclaim for the false. As the Hillary supporters croak about a victory that at its best will give the Right-Wingers a big advantage, and at worst give them a victory, remember who we are. These people are either duped, which is very sad, or they are believers in division, which is even more sad. But they are not our friends, they are not progressives, and they have no interest in healing this nation. Let them alone. And let's get back to business.

March 4, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  20. Heather Peterson

I am disgusted at how Senator Clinton is dividing the party. Personal ambition obviously trumps the good of the people.

March 4, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  21. Hadrian

I wonder if CNN will allow Ralph Nader to comment on any of the issues at hand

March 4, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  22. JAyz

Why shouldn't Obama's lawyer tell his side of the story? Remember, THIS STARTED AS A CONFERENCE CALL WITH CLINTON'S PEOPLE WHINING TO THE MEDIA. There's nothing wrong about him asking Clinton to “Stop attacking the caucus process”

March 4, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  23. Night Writer

Hillary attacked Obama just two weeks ago about tactics. It is unfortunate that she has resorted to the lowest of tactics and her integrity should be questioned. Her temperament is deplorable, and she has brought ugliness into the party.

Although the republicans have been fighting for a nominee, they have remained supportive and cohesive as a party.

It is time for Barak to take the gloves off and stop showing the level of respect to Hillary that she so clearly is not reciprocating.

March 4, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  24. Ralph B Augustin

Wake up America...
    If Hillary wins the nomination…I will build a website to ask all the young people of America to stay Home or vote for McCain and bring Obama back in 2012…. Hillary is not good for America, she is to divisive and no Republican will ever support her to make any change in this country………America will suffer greatly with Hillary in office…What we need is someone that can unify the country….Go Obama or McCain
    Much love for USA…..May God stop Hillary

March 4, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  25. Emmanuel

I would like to sound a note of warning to the DNC Chairman, STOP THE CLINTONS FROM USING THESE NEGATIVE STRATEGIES AGAINST A FELLOW DEMOCRAT!!!! These strategies will tear the party apart and turn off young voters.
    The truth is that most Democrats who voted in these primaries, will vote for the Republican nominee if Hillary Clinton becomes the Democratic nominee. She will definitely not win in November. She portrays herself as someone who is so selfish and desparate. I keep wondering if she forgot something in the White House that she needs so badly. Well, I will personally note vote for, not for gender or race reason, but because she is so selfish.

March 4, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |