March 4th, 2008

Schneider: Clinton's delegate problem

(CNN) - In what may be bad news for Clinton, Democrats across all four states overwhelmingly say they want super delegates to vote based on which candidate finishes ahead in the pledged delegate count at the end of the primary season.

Majorities of Democrats in Texas (62 percent), Ohio (61 percent), Rhode Island (57 percent) and Vermont (66 percent) all said the super delegates should cast their vote for the primary winner, not for who they think can best win in November.

Why is this bad news for Clinton? As CNN's John King has made clear on his interactive delegate map, it is nearly impossible for Clinton to catch up to Obama's pledged delegate count. She would have to win the rest of the states convincingly to do so, given that the party allots delegates proportionally. Barring large blowouts in the remaining contests, its likely Clinton will finish behind Obama in pledged delegates.

Related Video: CNN Political Editor Mark Preston discusses Tuesday's results

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

1. Frank

Michigan and Florida won't get their votes back...They knew the consequences when they moved up their primaries...Please Hillary, maintain some dignity and bow out while you still can maintain your good name...

March 4, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  2. Lynne

I hope she doesn't bow out. We don't vote til May and I hate to think I don't have a say in who I want on the ballot. I think it's rather pompous of all others who"ve already had that choice to think it should end tonite,that the rest of America has to settle, or that MI and FL shouldn't count. I want to see it go to the end and see Obama exposed more than than he already has been. We need a strong candidate. The Republicans will eat Obama up. The nicey nicey speeches end tonite from McCain.

March 4, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  3. Peter Canada Obama 08

Haven't know that she can't clinch the nomination, she should step aside with dignity just like Huckabee.
    It will be unwise for Democrats to tear themselves down when the republican are organizing their bit for the whitehouse.
    Lst the unity begins now Hillary, it is all over for you and for the sake of peace and unity step aside.
    Thank Hillary and her supporters. It has been a tough race, many pouch were thrown, lots of negative campaign were label against Obama, but the sacrify is to uniting Democrats.

March 4, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  4. SB

I would love to see Hillary loose by a landslide to McCain......I've been suffering for so long, what's 4 more years, lol.

March 4, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  5. Nick

She should but I dont think she will.The way she carried herself after losing the the last few times shows me that she will fight (shes a fighter remember)What I look for her to do is try to get the Florida and Michigan votes to count.

March 4, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  6. Melanie

If you want Florida to count, then we should be able to re vote. Because I was told it would not count, I did not vote! So if you want it to count, then we should re vote! (although I still believe, that even with Florida and Michigan Mrs Clinton would not have enough for the nomination)

March 4, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  7. jer

It's not about the democratic party it's all about the Clinton's winning at any cost.
    Red phone add.
    McCain and me Hillary have more experience.

Both those adds will be used against Hillary as she has no experience other than a few years as New York Senator.

Her vote on going to war was calculated that the war would be over by the time she would run for President.
    Little did she know that Bush would bungle it for her.

March 4, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  8. scott

and give a good reason why they should bow down.Because todays youth say so and there parents have always done what they where told thats why they really dont get it. Your schooling and childhood where brought to you buy the clintons

March 4, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  9. Jay

Obama isn't doing so well tonight because of HIM, not because of Hillary, the media, or McCain. It's reasonable that the media, and his opponents, are beginning to take a closer look at him; after all, he is "interviewing" for the most important job in America. It's not the media's or Hillary's fault Obama got involved with Rezko, and it's not their fault that his guy spoke to Canadian officials. Perhaps Obama supporters don't care about any of these issues; however, the rest of America has a right know. I have some news that might surprise everyone: Obama is a typical politician – no different than Hillary or McCain (they each say whatever they have to say to get elected)! The audacity of truth!

March 4, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  10. KimForObama

Wow Black Man for Hillary... in one sentence you've managed to disrespect and insult your race. If there are blacks out here feeling the way you do about blacks then I see why the black community is in the state it's in.

March 4, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  11. OBAMA 08

Bills word has not been that good in the past. I hope it has improved and Hillary will go home. She is definitely not going to win Texas and Ohio.
    He should take her home.

March 4, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  12. The Real Deal

TO THE DNC or ANYONE

YOU MUST GROW SOME AND END THIS !

Here is what is happening.

1. Hillary KNOWS she CANNOT win.

2. So she is willing to take Obama down enough for McCain to beat Obama in Nov.

3. So Hillary can then run against an even older McCain in 2012.

4. ARE YOU GOING TO STEP IN HERE AND END THIS SO THAT YOU CAN WIN IN 2008.

5. OMG can Democrats for just once grow some and make a GD!! Decision.

The straw was Hillary saying McCain has more experience then Obama. (HELLO) END IT TOMORROW!

March 4, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  13. AgentFoxMulder

A little deja vu ....

As I am walking down an icy street, I slip and break my arm. John Edwards picks me up and offers to sue the shopkeeper whose store I've fallen in front of. I respectively decline, however, Mr Edwards is kind enough to drive me to my preferred health care provider.

I step in and the receptionist says ... "The doctor's wife is ready to see you" I tell the receptionist I want to see the doctor, not his wife. The receptionist tells me "It's OK, they have been married 35 years, she has lots of experience ... he tells her about his cases each night.

The analogy ... what experience does Hillary really have over Senator Obama?

March 4, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  14. derry

Please Barack, surrender to the experience of Hillary Rodham Clinton. Wait your turn, watch how it done. 8yrs from now, if you have some tough decisions behind you and we can scrutinize you, we will see. How many "Undecided" votes did you cast again?
    Hillary '08

March 4, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  15. Jose Card - Independent

Both Hillary and Obama look so worn out, while McCain looks like he is having a ball. Where does this man get all his energy at his age? He is just like his 95 year old mother.

March 4, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  16. scat398

Hard to believe that there are poeple out there that actually support Hillary.

Considering that she fully supports NAFTA (despite her recent campaign claims), and has no interest in ending the Iraq war, Ohio is going to look very foolish for believing in her obvious lies.

Hillary cannot win a national election against a republican candidate, Republicans will not cross party lines to support her. However many Republicans, like myself, are willing to cross over to support Obama.

March 4, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  17. LNAB

Obama should bow out since this last week it has become quite evident that he talks out of both sides of him mouth

nod nod wink wink

March 4, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  18. Andres

If they included Florida and Michigan, the only way to do it would be to run a caucus sometime in the next couple months. Giving both candidates time to campaign there. It'd be totally unfair to Senator Obama to just hand those states over to Clinton when neither of them got to campaign. Clinton's name is far more recognizable, I think she won those states based on that.

March 4, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  19. Rochelle Bradford

I truly believe that Bill and Hillary Clinton have paid people off to rig the election in Texas, Rhode Island, and Ohio. She had the Gall to say that Barak Obama was crooked while she has White Water, TravelGate, the so call suicide of one of her people and not handing over her TAX RECORDS.

I am truly ashamed of the Clintons and I feel that she is going to slide into the fold with Bush and McCain. It is a very SAD day in the U.S.A. and other countries are truly watching us.

Rochelle

March 4, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  20. Chuck H

clinton squeeks out win in RI and Ohio.
    She threw the kitchen sink.
    Her and her supporters called Obama every name
    less the one they want to use.
    The clintons really proved to me that I am sorry I voted
    for them in 1992 and 1996.
    And she still can not win.
    Florida and Michigan- Clinton was suppose to not campaign
    she did anyway.
    If the states will do a do-over that is the only way

March 4, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  21. Diesel

In all honesty Clinton is seeing she doesn't have as good as a chance to win. Before her and Obama weren't really attacking each other to much. She started to because shes afraid he is going to win. She sould leave the race because of the fact that way Obama would be able to start working on his race against McCain.

March 4, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  22. Robyn

Hillary said in the beginning of the primary season BEFORE she was getting beat...it is about delegates.

Well, she is BEHIND on delegates because she lost 11 in a row in LARGE MARGINS! Clinton's LOSING streak was just stopped with her win in Rhode Island, where Obama STILL cut her momentum and they will probably split the delegates which will put her back to square one.

Look, the ONLY way she can win the nomination is if she STEALS the elections or relies on the SUPERDELEG. to STEAL it for her!! Bottom line.

OBAMA 2008!!!

March 4, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  23. Hillary Supporter

The super delegates role is clearly understood by all. This is fair but it will not simply be a process which allows the party to move forward with ease. Unknown to Senator Clinton, if she is not the Democratic Presidential candidate many registered Democrats and Independent voters will support John McCain in the November election.

We are concerned and focused on the issues, so it's easy for us to cross over and support the GOP. We are not merely concerned about hope.

Perhaps bringing this to an end will give the final Presidential candidates the opportunity to show voters who they really are. This will allow us to understand what they will or can do as opposed to what they say to get the votes.

March 4, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  24. maya

What a dumb ticker post- way to TRY and break Hillary's big momemtum tonight! Howard Dean was just on earlier on CNN and saying that rules are rules- even regarding superdelegates. So like it or not, they can choose to support whomever they want. Obama can't have it both ways- he can't say that Florida and Missouri don't count (rules are rules) and then say that superdelegates have to vote with their state–no they don't!

March 4, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  25. Chris in Va.

How is reporting that Hillary is behind in delegates biased? Typical.

March 4, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |